Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Dilemma

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  joex1 
#1 ·
I don't know what to do first get... The Spectre intake or a Tuner. Please chime in with your thoughts.

Thanks in advance
Chris

#5 ·
Re: Dilema

I like the tune the best. The difference the tune made in the way the car shifts and responds is tremendous. I have driven my car with the intake and with and without the tune. I also driven my car with the stock intake and with a tune. I prefer the car with the tune. Right now I am running with both.

Bob

#6 ·

I like the tune the best. The difference the tune made in the way the car shifts and responds is tremendous. I have driven my car with the intake and with and without the tune. I also driven my car with the stock intake and with a tune. I prefer the car with the tune. Right now I am running with both.

Bob
Which tune are you using? What are your gains? And what are the gains of just the intake?

Chris

#7 ·

I had my tuned by Church Automotive and Testing in Wilmington California. I did not gain much peak hp and tq with the tune alone. Our gas here is only 91 Octane and not very good at that. I originally had a Wait4Me tune that came from a car that runs on 93 Octane, but the tune was so aggressive that I lost power because the engine was pulling so much timing and ran leaner that I liked. The engine would have most likely ran well if I added some 100 Octane to the tank, but at over $8 per gallon I was not going to do that.

Dynojet Wait4Me blue stock red.

My tuner uses a dynapack to do the testing and tune.

I took the car back to Superior Automotive after tuning to see the before and after on a dynojet. The engine does not run as lean as stock. My tune is very conservative as far as the engine tuning is concerned. All the torque nannies were removed. I had the redline raised to 6700rpm. 1st and 2nd gear shift points are set at 6400rpm, because sometimes while in D or SD, the transmission would fail to shift quick enough to avoid the rpm limiter. Shifting was vastly improved in D, SD and Manual mode with the shifts more firm in SD and firmest in manual. I no longer have the drawn out shift from 2nd to 3rd when the transmission is cold any more. With the torque nannies removed the car aggressively leaves from a stop so much so that I will burn rubber at half throttle.

dynojet stock blue tuned by CAT red.

My car was the developement and test car for the Spectre Intake and the dynosheets are posted in the forum. I haven't ran the car on the dyno after the intake, I only drove the car with the EFI Live tuner hooked up to make sure I was not running lean with the intake. In my case, my car has not thrown any code with the original 89mm insert with both stock and tuned PCM in the car.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.