2.55" pulley installed, dyno results inside - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, 2.55" pulley installed, dyno results inside in Cadillac V-Series Forums; ...
    550HP STSV is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Heavily Modified STS-V

Re: 2.55" pulley installed, dyno results inside

Quote Originally Posted by 550HP STSV View Post
    The question is, if you saw a 30ft/lb gain and an 11hp loss, how the hell does D3 (WITH NEAR IDENTICAL PULLEY,) "Yields ±30 to ±60 BHP"???????
    bump

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

It's called belt slip. That's why d3 does not make a small upper pulley.

Tim, were you getting belt slip?

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Tim, were you getting belt slip?
    No. Here is the dyno graph. The green boost lines are parallel. If the belt was slipping the upper boost line would dip. I also saw no evidence on the belt or dust around the pulleys.

so then, again I ask: The question is, if you saw a 30ft/lb gain and an 11hp loss, how the hell does D3 (WITH NEAR IDENTICAL PULLEY,) "Yields ±30 to ±60 BHP"???????

The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

so then, again I ask: The question is, if you saw a 30ft/lb gain and an 11hp loss, how the hell does D3 (WITH NEAR IDENTICAL PULLEY,) "Yields ±30 to ±60 BHP"???????
    D3 does not offer a supercharger pulley as far as i know...only a crank pulley.

True, but the overdrive is the same. Theirs is 10% mine is 9.8%. Results should be the same. I think that's why there are no dyno sheets from them.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
    True, but the overdrive is the same. Theirs is 10% mine is 9.8%. Results should be the same. I think that's why there are no dyno sheets from them.
    D3 also claims a boost increase of 2psi (I thought they said at one point that it brings system boost to 16psi)...you didn't see that with your setup. How did you calculate your overdrive? Are you absolutely sure your setup is spinning the blower at a speed comparable to D3's pulley? Second, maybe they went with a more aggressive tune than you did. I notice that you have gained about 10hp across 80% of the curve despite losing peak HP. With the boost gain being pretty stable across the curve, this leads me to believe that the loss of peak HP is due to the tune and not the supercharger. The fact that torque drops off to stock levels in the upper range also makes me wonder if you are not getting sufficient fuel at that point. The max AFR for the run also seems to hint at this, as it is much higher than stock. If the fuel system kept up with boost levels, I would have expected to the hp gain to extend much further, allowing for a peak gain in the 10-12hp range. Coupled with a 30lbft gain, that's a pretty nice mod, especially since I imagine you did it for alot less than $1050.

D3 also does note that intercooling mods are also necessary to support their crank pulley mod. This is why they originally did not sell it separately.

Not that I have all the answers, but I tend to believe that just because one guy with a self-designed pulley setup lost hp, that doesn't mean that the commercially available solution is debunked.

Thanks. These were the type of answers I was hoping for from D3, but of course they never responded. I will look into new injectors.

Quote Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
    D3 also claims a boost increase of 2psi (I thought they said at one point that it brings system boost to 16psi)...you didn't see that with your setup. How did you calculate your overdrive? Are you absolutely sure your setup is spinning the blower at a speed comparable to D3's pulley? Second, maybe they went with a more aggressive tune than you did. I notice that you have gained about 10hp across 80% of the curve despite losing peak HP. With the boost gain being pretty stable across the curve, this leads me to believe that the loss of peak HP is due to the tune and not the supercharger. The fact that torque drops off to stock levels in the upper range also makes me wonder if you are not getting sufficient fuel at that point. The max AFR for the run also seems to hint at this, as it is much higher than stock. If the fuel system kept up with boost levels, I would have expected to the hp gain to extend much further, allowing for a peak gain in the 10-12hp range. Coupled with a 30lbft gain, that's a pretty nice mod, especially since I imagine you did it for alot less than $1050.

D3 also does note that intercooling mods are also necessary to support their crank pulley mod. This is why they originally did not sell it separately.

Not that I have all the answers, but I tend to believe that just because one guy with a self-designed pulley setup lost hp, that doesn't mean that the commercially available solution is debunked.
    Let's not get nuts here. I am not an amateur. My tune called for a 12:1 AFR, which is what I have across the entire run (except for that little hump, which is probably a misfire. I have not seen that hump in any log since). HP drops to previous levels because of IAT temps and the resulting timing drop. I could have spent more time adding a degree of advance at a time, but it takes quite a while for the car to cool down between runs and I did not see big gains forthcoming.

I logged 90% duty cycle on the injectors so I know there were not maxed.

The stock blower pulley is 2.8". My new pulley is 2.55". 2.8/2.55=1.0980. 9.8% overdrive. Max boost is up 1.7psi.

The pulley is a nice little mod. It shows gains everywhere except peak hp. I am sure the car would be faster at the track. 30rwtq is a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
    Let's not get nuts here. I am not an amateur. My tune called for a 12:1 AFR, which is what I have across the entire run (except for that little hump, which is probably a misfire. I have not seen that hump in any log since). HP drops to previous levels because of IAT temps and the resulting timing drop. I could have spent more time adding a degree of advance at a time, but it takes quite a while for the car to cool down between runs and I did not see big gains forthcoming.

I logged 90% duty cycle on the injectors so I know there were not maxed.

The stock blower pulley is 2.8". My new pulley is 2.55". 2.8/2.55=1.0980. 9.8% overdrive. Max boost is up 1.7psi.

The pulley is a nice little mod. It shows gains everywhere except peak hp. I am sure the car would be faster at the track. 30rwtq is a lot.
    Was I nuts? I didn't feel nuts!

I'm getting confused by the different modders here and their corresponding mods, so forgive me if i've overlooked something you already posted in this thread...but do you have any cooling mods at all? Sounds to me like you may be a good candidate for that larger intercooler pump. That may be all you need to get the IATs down enough to get rid of that dip in power at high RPMs.

I took a little offense at the notion that my tune was the problem. It's hard to judge tone on the internet so don't worry about it. No one knows who is competent in a particular forum at first.

I have an upgraded heat exchanger but stock pump. A bigger pump may help but I'm not going to spend the money to find out. I ordered a funny looking hair dryer today.

LEGACY_GN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS-V Sport, 1987 Buick Grand National

I bought a 2006 STS-V and want to do some mods myself but dont' want to pay the exorbinate prices D3 wants. Timmy, where do you sell your mods?

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

I think you need to look to some other members mods other than Timmy c his car now has a turbo so what does that say abought his mods. Try coach123 or pga2b for good mods.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.