2.55" pulley installed, dyno results inside - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, 2.55" pulley installed, dyno results inside in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Bottom line folks is if you want real power with this car, you'd better be ready to spend big time. ...
    The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: 2.55" pulley installed, dyno results inside

Bottom line folks is if you want real power with this car, you'd better be ready to spend big time. I've been lurking in all these threads and really paying attention so I can decide what I want to do. At this point it looks like intake and tune will be it for me...all other funds will be placed in savings for a V2 down payment.

I'll say that the STS-V is, in my mind, a nice enough car that if I had the garage space, i'd be doing the research for a motor swap. Yes, I know it's terribly complicated for a car like this, but it's not going to be any more expensive than trying to make big power with the LC3, and i've done entire electrical systems for swaps into carbureted cars, so I know I could figure it out for this thing. an LSA or LS7 swap would be kickass. But with my limited space, and other expensive hobbies, it's more productive for me to enjoy the car as is and plan to trade up to a V2 in a year or two.

rubber2burn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts-v

Quote Originally Posted by BlownV View Post

I like the idea of going twin turbo on our cars and it certainly offers the highest efficiency for peak hp but I think you are looking at even greater costs. You will still have to create a new intake manifold for that...as well as exhaust manifolds...plus incorporate two turbochargers, two wastegates, at least one bypass/bov, an intercooler system and all of the piping, boost control logic, well you get the point.
    Just throwing this out there, is the 4.6L "basically" the same engine less a supercharger? If so, the twin turbo option might be grafted to this intake setup. TB is in front as well. Now that I think about it, I think there might be more of a market for the twin turbo because the 4.6L and "our" 4.4L engines could use it.
    When I thoght about the supercharger being a little higher, I didnt think it would have to get as high as that one that D3 did. I bet that blower mod sits 12 inches above the hood line.
    Attached Images

TimmyC is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by rubber2burn View Post
    Just throwing this out there, is the 4.6L "basically" the same engine less a supercharger? If so, the twin turbo option might be grafted to this intake setup. TB is in front as well. Now that I think about it, I think there might be more of a market for the twin turbo because the 4.6L and "our" 4.4L engines could use it.
    When I thoght about the supercharger being a little higher, I didnt think it would have to get as high as that one that D3 did. I bet that blower mod sits 12 inches above the hood line.
    I happen to have one of those intakes right here. Hmmm What should I do with that?.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Design View Post
    Hello,
    Reading this thread is like a time warp to 3 years ago. Especially with that old CAD drawing of one of our blower combinations.

How much power are you guys really trying to get? Not that we have covered ALL the bases, but some of you guys are doing R&D that we did 3-4 years ago and are just now discovering all the hurdles you will eventually become very familiar with while you try to push for more power.

cad08stsv -
    As you can see it was more than just wishful thinking. It was a reality...

If there is interest in making "big" power, we can certainly build and develop something for you guys. We know these cars better than anyone else and have done an incredible amount of R&D over the years.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac
    So how much power did you end up with on that TVS 2300 setup?

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
    I happen to have one of those intakes right here. Hmmm What should I do with that?.....
    How about this??

Or this niffty turbo
    Attached Images

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

So Timmyc you still had high IATs with the added heat exchanger? I know why mine where high. As for making big power cobras with the same blowers make over 500rw and I would not run a stock lc3 past that point our bad things could happen and it will cost you. So why would you need a twin turbo set up if every one but a very small number of us that are going for big hp. seams like all the rest of you like to talk abought making big hp but are content to put a cai on and thats it. Talk is cheep d3 can get every one to 500 but know one wants to spend the $$$$$$. So why would you for a twin turbo set up that you could only use 1/8 of it's power output. Just saying. Ryan

NHRATA01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 Regal GS, '01 Trans Am

Basically? In terms of layout yes, in terms of design, no. The 4.6 N* is an open deck block, the 4.4 is a closed deck (and with thicker cylinder walls via the smaller bore size). IMHO with the 4.6 N*'s notorious head sealing issues, I wouldn't put it as a candidate for boost. Even with the later years supposed improved head bolts, I don't see it being a reliable setup.

From a marketing standpoint I don't think it would be ideal either. The N* is a dead platform at this point. Most of those who pick up an older FWD STS/ETC on the cheap probably can't afford the price of a turbo setup. And those who have a newer RWD N* would be wiser to pick up a used STS-V if they want a lot more power.

The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by 1madstsv View Post
    So Timmyc you still had high IATs with the added heat exchanger? I know why mine where high. As for making big power cobras with the same blowers make over 500rw and I would not run a stock lc3 past that point our bad things could happen and it will cost you. So why would you need a twin turbo set up if every one but a very small number of us that are going for big hp. seams like all the rest of you like to talk abought making big hp but are content to put a cai on and thats it. Talk is cheep d3 can get every one to 500 but know one wants to spend the $$$$$$. So why would you for a twin turbo set up that you could only use 1/8 of it's power output. Just saying. Ryan
    The Cobras have a much better intercooling setup. That's the problem here. Our blowers can do better than they are, but they need cooling help, help that we can't seem to offer at this point.

Has anyone out there explored the idea of adapting the newer package blower setup (LSA/LS9) onto the LC3? That might be something worth looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by 1madstsv View Post
    Are you saying that the short block is going to be a problem past 500rwhp? What are you basing that on?

My upgraded heat exchanger works fine, it's the laminova cores that are the real problem. There is no way to fix that at this time or likely at any time in the future.

I want to go turbo because this supercharger setup sucks. I've determined that a turbo is the less expesive way to get big power. If no one else wants to try it, that's okay with me.

I just watched a video of some chaps with a turbo 4.6N* on an engine dyno putting out 1390 HP. Dont know how much money it took to get it to this point or how long it would last either. I think I read somewhere that these motors are very robust and would hold togeather @ 700 HP stock (no additional internals). They have done just about every Blower, turbo, N/A setup you can think of to those motors as well. Now add the VVT into the mix??
    I guess it all comes down to on how much do you want to spend.

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

That number is not uncommon for some of the sand rail guys. What you don't hear about is the blocks being filled with concrete to increase the strength...

If someone asked us to build a 4.6 or 4.4 to 700+HP, we would certainly start with internals before getting too carried away.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

I just watched a video of some chaps with a turbo 4.6N* on an engine dyno putting out 1390 HP. Dont know how much money it took to get it to this point or how long it would last either. I think I read somewhere that these motors are very robust and would hold togeather @ 700 HP stock (no additional internals). They have done just about every Blower, turbo, N/A setup you can think of to those motors as well. Now add the VVT into the mix??
    I guess it all comes down to on how much do you want to spend.

cad08stsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 03 STS, 08 STS V

cad08stsv -
    As you can see it was more than just wishful thinking. It was a reality...

Thank you
    Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac[/QUOTE]

Where is this Blower today? Is it in your Catalog?
    From what I can see this blower is not even functional.
    I would guess my question is, "As you can see it was more than just wishful thinking. It was a reality." What reality? Did you do a You Tube on this blower?
    All I see is photos of non working prototype. Well, "Good Luck With That"
    Russell

NHRATA01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 Regal GS, '01 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
    The Cobras have a much better intercooling setup. That's the problem here. Our blowers can do better than they are, but they need cooling help, help that we can't seem to offer at this point.

Has anyone out there explored the idea of adapting the newer package blower setup (LSA/LS9) onto the LC3? That might be something worth looking into.
    The head design and intake ports aren't even close between an N* and an LSx (square or cathedral port), so you'd still need to fabricate an intake manifold for the blower to sit on. At that point you might as well go with something more efficient like a screw type blower or just an aftermarket TVS roots. The 1.9 or 2.3 Eaton roots blowers on the LSA and LS9 are also still somewhat limited by the intercooling capacity as the LC3's is.

Here is a picture of a cast intake you can mount to you motor that will work on a 177 and 256 Weiand blower. Anyone want to donate their car?
    Attached Images

GoofyGuy is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Here is a picture of a cast intake you can mount to you motor that will work on a 177 and 256 Weiand blower. Anyone want to donate their car?
    Find me something that sits low enough to drop a Kenne Bell and I will do the rest.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.