5.1 Bose subwoofer performance
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, 5.1 Bose subwoofer performance in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Our Bose systems have 3 subs, 1 in each front door, and 1 in the rear "shelf". The performance from ...
    youknooow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V 1 OF 3 BLK ICE & TANGO RED

5.1 Bose subwoofer performance

Our Bose systems have 3 subs, 1 in each front door, and 1 in the rear "shelf". The performance from the subs in the front doors is outstanding, bass is deep and distortion free. (my last car I added 1 12" sub for deep bass) The one from the rear shelf, seems like its not even on, and its larger than the ones in front doors. I will take it to the dealer, but I want to know if this is a characteristic of the system or possibly a problem with my mine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Re: 5.1 Bose subwoofer performance

I had a bad subwoofer module in one of my STSs once. Turn something on with a lot of bass, go in the trunk, and feel the sub to see if it is working. The modules are pretty cheap on ebay I think.

PGA2B is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Tim- Don't you guys own an Audio shop in conjunction with ZZP?

kartunez is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Black Raven STS-V

I have noticed this as well, being almost a 12" sub you'd expect more. I will have to check and see if it is working or not. When I first looked at it I though it was a radiator sub, so I didn't expect a whole bunch from it; what I get for looking in the dark. HAHA

We would need to replace it with a Free Air Sub and a more powerful amp.

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    Tim- Don't you guys own an Audio shop in conjunction with ZZP?
    Not that I know of. I do know that the main guys, Zoom, Scott, and Matt? used to be into audio stuff. Scott still makes some parts for speakers (PA stuff) but no audio shop.

Well you would know. I guess I was mistaken. I thought Zoom got his start with an audio shop.

fast_lane10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS - V

What does AudioPilot (no 10) for, is it for speed sensing volume function. Do we have that in our cars?

PNBLWZD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS-V Black Diamond Sedan, 09 CTS-V (sold), STS-V (sold)

I've been looking into upgrading the factory 12" sub found in the rear deck, which is not a passive radiator as it appears from underneath. It is actually a regular speaker that has an inverted magnet to reduce mounting depth, which is powered by the Bose amp (you see the magnet from the top). Replacing this 12" driver/sub with something else would require a driver suitable free air / infinite baffle / trunk baffle installation (name depends on the mfg), so you don't need a box taking up your trunk and weighing 100 lbs. Looking around I found a JL Audio 12" driver 12ib4, but the problem is that it's only available in 8 ohm and it's discontinued, and currently available JL free air subs are only available in 10" size in their marine line. Searching more and calling around, there is a company called Image Dynamics that makes a speaker that should work well in this spot #ID-12 D4. I was told by a high end audio shop here in LA that these sound very nice, but have never heard them myself. Regardless of which sub is used, a power amp will need to be installed as well to run it using the high level signal going to the existing speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by PNBLWZD View Post
    I've been looking into upgrading the factory 12" sub found in the rear deck, which is not a passive radiator as it appears from underneath. It is actually a regular speaker that has an inverted magnet to reduce mounting depth, which is powered by the Bose amp (you see the magnet from the top). Replacing this 12" driver/sub with something else would require a driver suitable free air / infinite baffle / trunk baffle installation (name depends on the mfg), so you don't need a box taking up your trunk and weighing 100 lbs. Looking around I found a JL Audio 12" driver 12ib4, but the problem is that it's only available in 8 ohm and it's discontinued, and currently available JL free air subs are only available in 10" size in their marine line. Searching more and calling around, there is a company called Image Dynamics that makes a speaker that should work well in this spot #ID-12 D4. I was told by a high end audio shop here in LA that these sound very nice, but have never heard them myself. Regardless of which sub is used, a power amp will need to be installed as well to run it using the high level signal going to the existing speaker.
    The connection going to the rear sub is actually low level. The amp is built into the speaker.

Well you would know. I guess I was mistaken. I thought Zoom got his start with an audio shop.
    There may have been an audio shop at one time, you might be right about that. I don't think there is one now though.

The car is still under warranty so if thats the case I will be good

Kartunez, but why the contrast with the two speakers that are in the front, that are smaller?

Fast_lane10, AudioPilot is Bose technology that monitors noise levels in a vehicle’s cabin and adjusts level and equalization to compensate.
    I have found it to be better than basic volume increases as speed increases setups.

PNBLWZD, are you satisfied with the performance from the front subs?

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyC View Post
    The connection going to the rear sub is actually low level. The amp is built into the speaker.
    I have a Rockford Power 250x2 that I am going to use to put in a sub. Not sure if I am going to do a box or an Aperiodic Enclosure.

I have a Rockford Power 250x2 that I am going to use to put in a sub. Not sure if I am going to do a box or an Aperiodic Enclosure.

How would you rate your front subs? I didn't noticed the sub par performance of my rear until I sat in the back seat.

550HP STSV is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Heavily Modified STS-V

Image Dynamics is a really great company. I had an IDMAX in my cobra, and it was almost on the same level as my old 12W7.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.