5.1 Bose subwoofer performance - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, 5.1 Bose subwoofer performance in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by youknooow How would you rate your front subs? I didn't noticed the sub par performance of my ...
    PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Re: 5.1 Bose subwoofer performance

Quote Originally Posted by youknooow View Post
    How would you rate your front subs? I didn't noticed the sub par performance of my rear until I sat in the back seat.
    They are ok, underpowered but all factory systems are underpowered.

kartunez is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Black Raven STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by youknooow
    Kartunez, but why the contrast with the two speakers that are in the front, that are smaller?
    Honestly I think it is just due to what room they had in the doors for a speaker!

Image Dynamics is a very good company; make excellent speakers. You can look into using the flat piston from JL and mounting it in place of the factory sub and building a small box for it's specs adn mounting it to the deck lid. Then use the bottom of the box to mount the amp. There are all kinds of ways to build system to keep space and weight out. Once I build mine both 12's will be in the corners, and the amp in the spare well to keep it hidden.

PNBLWZD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS-V Black Diamond Sedan, 09 CTS-V (sold), STS-V (sold)

I haven't messed around with comparing how much bass is comning from the doors vs the rear deck, but whatever is coming from either it's not enough when the car is at highway speeds or has the windows down or roof open (it sounds good parked and sitting in the driveway though LOL). I've added a sub to a few Bose equipted GM cars/trucks though, and it makes a huge difference - and is all that system really needs IMO.

The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Image Dynamics is absolutely top-notch stuff. They compete well with the super-high-priced stuff at a much lower price point. Mostly because their speakers are not flashy and pretty. They are all business.

However, I don't agree that an ID12 would be a good choice for a free-air setup. That sub is designed for an enclosure.

PNBLWZD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS-V Black Diamond Sedan, 09 CTS-V (sold), STS-V (sold)

When the shop I went to was thining of which brand of driver to use in the rear deck, they called Image Dynamics and they are the ones who recommended using the ID12 for a trunk baffle setup like ours. Looking around online I see there are other companies that make free air subs also though...

Quote Originally Posted by PNBLWZD View Post
    When the shop I went to was thining of which brand of driver to use in the rear deck, they called Image Dynamics and they are the ones who recommended using the ID12 for a trunk baffle setup like ours. Looking around online I see there are other companies that make free air subs also though...
    Well of course Image Dynamics is going to recommend an Image Dynamics sub!

My only point really is that ID does not make a true "infinite baffle" subwoofer. Would an ID12 function in that application? Sure. But I wouldn't expect it to be any better than the stock unit, in fact, it would probably suck more power at the same output level since it has a heavier piston assembly than the stock unit.

youknooow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V 1 OF 3 BLK ICE & TANGO RED

I wonder if the sub performance is consistent over the various model years or vehicles. I know everyone's taste and standards are different, but I really have ALOT bass coming out of my front subs that contrasts what is described here - I added a sub (12) to my Aurora because of the reasons described here, and was SHOCKED & PLEASED by what came out the " The V's" front speakers . Prior to owning the "The V" I anticipated having to add A SUB TO to it as well (from what I read on the forum); maybe the original owner upgraded them. But I have to get the bottom of the performance of my rear sub.

jerrylsantos is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

What have you guys found to be the easiest route for the power line from the battery to an additional amp in the trunk?

Quote Originally Posted by youknooow View Post
    I wonder if the sub performance is consistent over the various model years or vehicles. I know everyone's taste and standards are different, but I really have ALOT bass coming out of my front subs that contrasts what is described here - I added a sub (12) to my Aurora because of the reasons described here, and was SHOCKED & PLEASED by what came out the " The V's" front speakers . Prior to owning the "The V" I anticipated having to add A SUB TO to it as well (from what I read on the forum); maybe the original owner upgraded them. But I have to get the bottom of the performance of my rear sub.
    Surprised no one asked this - did you have your trunk open when you checked out the factory sub and determined it was weak? If so, we've pinpointed your problem.

youknooow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V 1 OF 3 BLK ICE & TANGO RED

Quote Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
    Surprised no one asked this - did you have your trunk open when you checked out the factory sub and determined it was weak? If so, we've pinpointed your problem.
    No, I was actually in the vehicle with all doors shut and hopped in the back on a whem to see how the sound sounded back there. The sound was great minus the rear subs performance. I can't emphasize enough the contrast in performance between my front and rear sub. I have not had a chance to take the vehicle in yet to see if the speaker is within specs , but I plan to in a few weeks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.