Why do people say the stsv rear is week
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Why do people say the stsv rear is week in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I just want to know why every on says the rear is so week. Every gm rear I have ever ...
    1madstsv is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

Why do people say the stsv rear is week

I just want to know why every on says the rear is so week. Every gm rear I have ever know is week. My 01 z28 broke with 300rwhp on stock tires at 14,000miles. My c5 broake 2 times and that was on a some what bilt rear. With street tires and 400rwhp. My friend broake his gn,s rear more times than I can count. My other friend cracked is c5 rear wide open at 70mph when the tires let loose then hooked. IRS rears are week in any car the stsv,s look much stronger than my c5. They have much better rib design to keep the case from splitting. From what I have seen you can make all the power you want and launch hard you just can not hop. It's the load no load on the case and haff shafts that will cause it to brake at any hp level. So I just wanted to see if people were braking them and I had not read abought it our what. If any one will brake one is going to be me I drive hard and last year ran 25 times at the track with out any problems. Ryan

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Re: Why do people say the stsv rear is week

Just because all those other rear ends suck doesn't mean this one doesn't as well. People say they are weak because they are. Stock CTS-V1s break these rears all the time. If mine blows I'm going to look into a Ford 8.8 I think.

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

because it is cast aluminum garbage. The rear isnt cradled well either...the 4-point design just plain sucks for our weight and torque. I had a C3 Vette rear in my V1 which had no problem with the IRS and the wheel hop...the standard Getrag on our cars is weak. The V2s addressed this weakness by going cast iron and having a 5-point cradle.
    F

Yes I know that they are not of good design it was made my gm so thats a given. But who has broken one yet. And if I'm thinking right are rears are heavy and stronger than a v1 ctsv. All gm rears are week the cases crack like a glass. I spent $1,500 on my c5 with new gears case support to keep if from flexing and up graded half shafts. So I more than most after 4 rears needing to be replaced know that is only a matter of time with this cars rear end. But my thing is who has all ready broken one. Our are we all just thinking its going to brake like glass. Ryan

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

I don't know if he still has his V but there was a member who broke his half shaft drag racing. Wheel hop got it.. I haven't read any other post of a STS-V.

I haven't read about any STS-V blowing a diff out the rear.

None the less I'm not going to push the issue in my V.

Low mileage (under 20k) 07 & 08 Z06's are getting into the affordable range, so I think I will be adding one of those to the stable to beat the snot out of and leave the V as it is,, a fast 4 door.

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

I like modding but it's what your after you have to answer yourself. The STS-V will never beat a V-2 or Z06 no matter how much you mod it. it will be damn fast for a heavy 4 door.

I had to realize one day that no matter how much money I poured into my S2000 making it faster and handle better, it would never be greater than it's potential without some MAJOR modifications. Like a heart transplant of a chevy 350.

Much like our V's they will be limited by our rear ends without some MAJOR modifications.

F didn't you say you spent around $20k on your V1 getting it to the point the rear could handle it.? I think it was a Viper rear end.

Quote Originally Posted by 1madstsv View Post
    And if I'm thinking right are rears are heavy and stronger than a v1 ctsv. All gm rears are week the cases crack like a glass. I spent $1,500 on my c5 with new gears case support to keep if from flexing and up graded half shafts. So I more than most after 4 rears needing to be replaced know that is only a matter of time with this cars rear end. But my thing is who has all ready broken one. Our are we all just thinking its going to brake like glass. Ryan
    Our rears are the same as the V1. The difference being we have a ton on TQ nannies on our automatics, the manuals didnt have that control...thats why you dont see a lot of blown STSv rears, but the potential is surely there.

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEELVISDAN View Post

F didn't you say you spent around $20k on your V1 getting it to the point the rear could handle it.? I think it was a Viper rear end.
    I spent nearly 15K developing a bullet-proof rear for my V1...and it worked, but it was LOUD as it was hard mounted to the frame. It was an iron C3 rear with F-250 half shafts connected to a bigger 2-pc driveshaft. I had over 525 rwhp and it would plant and go, but it just wasnt a daily driver at that point, so I sold it.
    A Dana 44 or Viper rear would work as well.

F

Well if they are the same that is good because you can bild them up cheap. and I have friends that have g8s and ctsv v1 that make over 500na and 615 on spray and they hold up fine. The g8 is a auto so that helps but has a 4000rpm stall converter and slicks and runs 10.80@124mph so he is hard on it. And as for the tq nannies in the trans I was told it was to keep the trans in one pice not the rear. My tq nannies are 90% gone in sport mode. But time will tell my supercharger will be sent next Monday to get reworked then tuned April 1st and at the track soon after so then I will see first hand how well they hold up to hard lunching. Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by 1madstsv View Post
    Well if they are the same that is good because you can bild them up cheap. and I have friends that have g8s and ctsv v1 that make over 500na and 615 on spray and they hold up fine. The g8 is a auto so that helps but has a 4000rpm stall converter and slicks and runs 10.80@124mph so he is hard on it. And as for the tq nannies in the trans I was told it was to keep the trans in one pice not the rear. My tq nannies are 90% gone in sport mode. But time will tell my supercharger will be sent next Monday to get reworked then tuned April 1st and at the track soon after so then I will see first hand how well they hold up to hard lunching. Ryan
    Your tranny is fine, it's the 6L80 which is in much heavier trucks....no problems there. Your rear is the issue. BTDT

F

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.