Battery is Dead
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Battery is Dead in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Haven't used my V for 2 months, the 7 feet of snow here in MA is not helping, battery is ...
    choigilligan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Battery is Dead

Haven't used my V for 2 months, the 7 feet of snow here in MA is not helping, battery is dead.

Question, can I just jump the battery and run it for a while, then hook it up to a trickle charger.

If so, anybody have one they recommend. If I need a new battery, should I go OEM, or does it make sense to upgrade.

I know I should have had it on a trickle charger in the first place......

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jedhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Battery is Dead

I would jump the battery and hook up a trickle charger. I replaced my OEM with a Optima Red Top. It cost only $15 dollars more than stock and IMHO a better battery. One downside is that the post don't match up on the battery cover holes.

Bob

PwdrCtr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 STS V

I don't drive mine in the winter. and for the first time, a month or two ago, I noticed my battery was dead every couple weeks. Since it's an '06 with the original and 24k miles, I figured I would just replace it. I got the Optima red top #78 and it fit fine. You need the #78, just 78, no dash anything (ex 78-xx). The posts line up perfectly. I think it's a hair taller so the cover is a little tricky to put back on, but it does fit. It holds a charge just fine now, no matter how long I leave it between "starts". I got mine at Advance when they had an online coupon.

BTW, There is another "Battery" thread that spells all this out. I recommend searching for it. It has pictures and everything. Good Luck!

Dave

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

There is a computer flash that will take care of it. Check with your dealership to make sure you have the latest Operating System and updates on your ECM and TCM.

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    There is a computer flash that will take care of it. Check with your dealership to make sure you have the latest Operating System and updates on your ECM and TCM.
    What do you mean, take care of the dead battery? Will I have to reflash my whole system after I jump my car?

Cataract is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V Black on Black

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    It will help keep the battery from dying? Interesting..

Just an update in case this happens to anybody else, I went and bought an automatic trickle charger from AutoZone, hooked it up (it took about 2 days to charge) and it started right up.

Probably the best 23 bucks I spent, especially for people who don't drive their cars for weeks at a time.

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

Make sure that trickle charger has some form of a "smart charge" mechanism or other system that allows it to "float" the charge. A constant 2v charge 24/7 is just as damaging to a battery as continually draining it. I use two Black and Decker SmartChargers. One on the GTO, and another that I cycle between a couple of spare batteries for other vehicles I have. These chargers use that smart system to only run the trickle charge when it senses a decrease in battery voltage, and then shuts off once it tops it off. It repeats this cycle as needed.

silverws6ta is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 STS-V; '10 STS 1SG; '08 Escalade, '08 Escalade EXT

See my last two replies in the below thread -- this will answer many of questions for everyone

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...2-battery.html

Thanks
    Cale

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.