Change a Headlight
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Change a Headlight in Cadillac V-Series Forums; The small light included in the headlight housing burned out on my 2006 stsv, I bought a replacement bulb and ...
    Bob Glenn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V

Change a Headlight

The small light included in the headlight housing burned out on my 2006 stsv, I bought a replacement bulb and went to change it. To my surprise it looks like you have to remove the grill and bumper to get at it. Is there an easier way? I can't believe the GM engineers would design a car and make it that difficult to perform simple maintanance.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

Re: Change a Headlight

No easier way, pretty dumb.

The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Cadillacs are not designed to be easy to service. They are not intended to be user serviceable. GM expects those who spend $80k on a car to have no problem handing it to the dealer for everything that ever needs to be done. And really, for the vast majority, this is a reasonable expectation. However, most of the population of a forum like this are enthusiasts, and most enthusiasts like to do their own maintenance. We just have to suck it up and deal with the extra labor.

Quote Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
    Cadillacs are not designed to be easy to service. They are not intended to be user serviceable. GM expects those who spend $80k on a car to have no problem handing it to the dealer for everything that ever needs to be done. And really, for the vast majority, this is a reasonable expectation. However, most of the population of a forum like this are enthusiasts, and most enthusiasts like to do their own maintenance. We just have to suck it up and deal with the extra labor.

Thanks, still shocked the engineers would make it that difficult for the dealer to change a decorative light bulb. Most folks I know have the feeling the dealer is always taking advantage of them already .... not sure what the charge will be to change a $2.75 light bulb ... but whatever it is I am sure most will feel violated without getting kissed <grin>. New joke "how many technicians/hours does it take to change a decorative light on a STS"?

Regard,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    Thanks, still shocked the engineers would make it that difficult for the dealer to change a decorative light bulb. Most folks I know have the feeling the dealer is always taking advantage of them already .... not sure what the charge will be to change a $2.75 light bulb ... but whatever it is I am sure most will feel violated without getting kissed <grin>. New joke "how many technicians/hours does it take to change a decorative light on a STS"?

Regard,

Bob
    If you ever watched a master technician at work, you'd be amazed. Guys who do this stuff every day can do it forwards and backwards with a blindfold on. I bet a dealer tech could have that front bumper cover off and back on in 15 minutes.

A good friend of mine is a GM Master Tech who specializes in Corvettes. He used to help me out with my Z06 and WS6...it was amazing what he could do. It was sometimes scary too...like when he would "accidentally" pull a part off the motor and say "hold onto that, it looks important". His way of joking with me, but until I got used to it, I wondered if I really wanted this guy working on my prized toy.

Based on your response, what I need to do is develop a better relationship with the technician. The dealer closest to my house goes through service advisors (bad sign I know) like a person with the runs goes through toilet paper. I don't think I have had the same advisor more than twice.

I was half joking ... the time to take the car to the dealer and wait for the repair is more of a PIA than the cost. Also, takes the technician 15 minutes ... the dealer still charges the full labor cost per the book.

Thanks,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    Based on your response, what I need to do is develop a better relationship with the technician. The dealer closest to my house goes through service advisors (bad sign I know) like a person with the runs goes through toilet paper. I don't think I have had the same advisor more than twice.

I was half joking ... the time to take the car to the dealer and wait for the repair is more of a PIA than the cost. Also, takes the technician 15 minutes ... the dealer still charges the full labor cost per the book.

Thanks,

Bob
    A good dealer is an absolute necessity when you own a V. I'm still not totally sold on the dealer i've been using, the nice part is that they are within biking distance of my house, and they have treated me and my wife really well so far in our ordeals with her car. They do also have alot of respect for the cars they work on...the first day I took my STS-V in there for inspection it was as if the car were a rock star. All the service writers were outside to greet me, most of the techs came out for a look, and even a few sales guys made it all the way back from the showroom to check out the car. Guess they don't come across STS-V's much.

But you are right about one thing - the repair could take the tech 15 minutes, you'll still be paying for an hour's labor plus a $30 bulb and $10 installation grease.

hiltonny is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Is changing one of the headlight bulbs as difficult?

Quote Originally Posted by hiltonny View Post
    Is changing one of the headlight bulbs as difficult?

found this on youtube --->

Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Bob

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

Holden products (GM subsidiary) are also like this. Yes, it seems like overkill and stupidity on GM's engineering, but in truth, it isn't that overly difficult and once you've done it a couple times, it's a 15 minute task (once again, former GM tech with the tools, here, so I understand others may take a little longer than 15 minutes). Anyway, it's no less a PITA than my Bonneville GXP, trying to change a driving light bulb, which can be accessed by easily removing the headlight assembly, so...

Truth be told, one of the reasons GM does it, is because if you have the Xenon bulbs (D1S), which our V's do, they should last for a very long time, you'll probably get rid of the car before one goes out. So they bank on the fact that it will get minimal replacement. The high beams (a regular halogen bulb), unless you drive around all night with your high beams on, should have an even longer life. In essence, why make something that rarely gets replaced, easy to replace when there are more routine things that need to be replaced that need easy access.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Yes the bumper cover has to come off, yes it sucks, and yes it can be expensive to have it done.
    I question the wisdom of this choice but I am told this was done as a "security measure" so that your $1,200 headlamp housings don't mysteriously disappear.
    It really isn't hard to get them off, but it is much easier on a lift with some trick tools.

hiltonny is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Last week I was cursing the idiot that designed the 2000 Eldorado headlights because you can't get your hand behind the lamp to turn it and the housing can't be removed without a lot of work. This is sloppy engineering. When Cadillacs had stainless steel trim rings that held the old sealed beams on they used small steel Phillips screws that would rust on then the heads would strip. It must be some corporate policy to create the most difficult way to change headlights. The picture above should have been in the sales brocure.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.