LC3's are NOT indestructable- Blew my harmonic balancer this weekend
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, LC3's are NOT indestructable- Blew my harmonic balancer this weekend in Cadillac V-Series Forums; And I wasn't even doing anything fun! So after two months of ownership, I was coming home from a restaurant ...
    joex1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

LC3's are NOT indestructable- Blew my harmonic balancer this weekend

And I wasn't even doing anything fun!

So after two months of ownership, I was coming home from a restaurant today, 5 miles away from my house. Started it up, had a non-flashing CEL. No big deal, it was a snowstorm, figured I had a little exhaust leak or something, proceeeded to drive home. About a minute away from home, I got an oil pressure light. 12PSI. Uh oh. By the time I got into my driveway, it was knocking so badly it sounded like a tractor. Not good. That was quite the quick progression of events.
    My theory is that the oil pump died, the bottom end overheated, boom. Can't believe it happened that fast though.

Thankfully, car came with a GMPP Major Guard warranty, $100 deductible, that I transferred. Local Caddy dealer is tearing it down now, then an inspector from corporate wants to come out to authorize it and make sure it's not something I did before they authorize the claim. It's gonna be a pricey one. I've always heard good things about GMPP and I assume they're just looking to make sure I didn't run it without oil or drop bolts or sand down into it. I don't want to mess around with any rebuilds and such, I want a crate motor. Anyone ever go through that process before? With any luck it will be done just in time to throw my new Spectre CAI on it.
    In the meantime, I'm rocking an '11 CTS rental from Enterprise at the dealer. Certainly not bad for a rental, but feels like it has an anchor tied to the back compared to the V, and I miss my remote start and heated steering wheel Didn't take me long to get spoiled.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cataract is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V Black on Black

re: LC3's are NOT indestructable- Blew my harmonic balancer this weekend

Wow, how many miles?

Id imagine GM will just fix it the cheapest way possible.. I wouldnt imagine them dropping a brand new motor in. Good luck tho!

41k.
    Dealer agreed with me and is going to ask for a crate motor. We'll see where that takes me.

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 SLS and Turbo 07 STS-V-Now back to Supercharged

I might not be as harsh as 550 but you don't keep driving after you get a low oil pressure warning.

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

I think I would have shut it off if I got 12psi oil pressure. But lesson learned...... Were there any symptoms before you shut it off before the light?

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

Well it was not that the lc3 motor was week I though you were going to say you trough a rod out the side of the block our Blew the supercharger of the top. All engines are indestructible when they have no oil pressure our oil. Next time don't drive I have had 2 oil pumps fail on cars and I stoped right where I was and got them fixed and I still have and drive my 78 z28 with no problems 7 years later. Ps. Good luck with trying to get a crate engine you should be happy if they even fix this. Some how they will blame it on you. good luck

GoofyGuy is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

hope you had the proper oil in that bad boy. This will be the only saving grace you will have.

I wont be as harsh as some of the few here, but still oil light means engine off! Most would do as you did though. This car is so picky most would just think its just another thing. I hope a new motor surprises you soon!

And were you able to confirm what the check light was, I know many dont have a scanner in thier car but Im curious to what the car wanted to do?

youknooow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V 1 OF 3 BLK ICE & TANGO RED

I recently purchased a 09 STS-V, and own a 03 4.0 Aurora (77K), and had a 01 3.5L Aurora (93K), at a standstill it was normal for the oil pressure to be between 11-20PSI, with no warning lights. Joex1 stated he had a non-flashing check engine light, and then a oil pressure warning light illuminated and I assumed he then checked and saw he had 12PSI.

A couple of ya'll ripped his head off, not sure why, based on my experiences with oil pressure I would have drove home as well, being it was less than a minute away. But I did take away this: if a low pressure warning illuminates, shut it off as soon as it is safely possible!

Joex1, I hope this works out in your favor.

lol thanks for the comments but shutting down on a major thoroughfare 0.2 miles from my house in a snowstorm is not what i'd call safe. By the time I cycled through the 15 different settings on the gauges to see the 12PSI I was home...1 minute was not an exaggeration. Besides, 12 PSI in a warmed up car at low revs is not 0 PSI. No prior symptoms prior to that drive. For those of you that were'nt useless, thanks. For those of you like 550HP STSV, GFY.

GMPP approved the claim. Looks like the engine may not be blown though. Got a message that when they tore it down they found something that may be much smaller and would replicate the symptoms. Will update when I hear back from them later.

GoofyGuy is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

does our car have a balance shaft, ive seen those get destroyed and make a terrible noise but no harm to the rotating assembly. I assume it being a v8 it doesnt but I have seen odder things in the past.

They think the harmonic balancer may have taken a crap and caused the oil pump to not be 100%, as well as the horrible noise. They will know later today.

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Quote Originally Posted by joex1 View Post
    They think the harmonic balancer may have taken a crap and caused the oil pump to not be 100%, as well as the horrible noise. They will know later today.
    If that is the case then that would be the best case scenario. I hope it all turns out for the best!!

Well, looks like my thread title needs to be updated as it looks more like the exact opposite. Got it back this morning. Harmonic balancer went, which simultaneously caused the lack of oil pressure and the rod knock noise...I would never have suspected that. For the future, if you have "rod knock" and no oil pressure, all may not be lost. Dealer had the motor torn down and everything checked out perfect, oil pan, compression, etc., so there were NO repercussions from it running with low oil pressure for that whole 45 seconds.
    Thanks again for the well wishes! (Some of you) Certainly could have been a lot worse!

nefarious35 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V

Dat turtle be sayin some tru shit....playa!

I'm only 36 and I don't understand the "youth" of today.

cadillac94pimpin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham,06 STS-V Black/Tango, 06 Hayabusa LE

LOL at the picture. ^^^^ does this guy even get it?

Yes Im 25 and I drive a STS-V also.

Guess how I got it? HARD A$$ WORK!

Is 550's post gone?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.