6l80 Trans Issue...or in need of a Driver mod?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, 6l80 Trans Issue...or in need of a Driver mod? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I have been experiencing a rather frustrating issue with the V over this winter and would like to know if ...
    BlownV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

Question 6l80 Trans Issue...or in need of a Driver mod?

I have been experiencing a rather frustrating issue with the V over this winter and would like to know if anyone else has had this issue? Sry for the lengthy post.

With the car in drive or sport and traction/stability control on, I can floor it in 2nd gear and it grabs fairly well when it is warm outside (no tire spin up to 3rd or very little at the top of 2nd). When it is cold outside (like this morning) and I floor it in 2nd, it breaks free around 4500 rpm resulting in the revs hitting the limiter. The trans upshifts into 3rd and traction control kicks in, get good traction in 3rd (with significantly less power since the bypass valve was opened by the traction control), and then downshifts back into 2nd gear because the pedal is still floored. This repeats several times unless I back off the pedal.

Most of the time I get around this dance by turning the stability control system off and putting the car in manual. Then I can typically burn through the gears with little to no input from the override controls. However, this morning (it was cold too) I noticed that (with the car in manual and stability controls off) in manual I roasted the tires through 1st at the green light, tapped the upshift to 2nd before the car had a chance to hit the limiter, and at the start of 2nd seemed to be short on power. Then all of a sudden the power kicked in...it felt more like a down shift but the gear select on the DIC said 2 the entire time. This caused the tires to break free up to the limiter at which point the power dropped off, the car grabbed momentarily and then I got a repeat of what felt like a downshift while still showing 2 on the DIC. Pedal was floored for all of this.

So...do I just need to lay off of the pedal in the areas of rpm vs. mph where tire spin is possible? Or is this the torque management or something else kicking in even with the stability / traction systems 'off'?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

Re: 6l80 Trans Issue...or in need of a Driver mod?

Tc/sc are never all the way off in this car until you have a custom tune to eliminate it for good. So I think it was the tc/sc stepping in on the fun. As for felling like a 2 shift when in gear that could be the toque converter locking up our unlocking. That will some times feel like a shift. Side note let out you will kill the trans driving like that. Please feel free to email me and I will explain how to solve most of this. Thanks Ryan. Turboz1madls1@yahoo.com

Bummer...I thought once 'stability control system disabled' was used all of the overrides went away with the exception of the torque management tables in the TCM.

The torque converter was my first thought as well but I do not know enough about our trans, the converter and the TCM maps to troubleshoot why it would be doing that. I am doing my research and using the experience learned over on the G8 forum to bring myself up to speed on the 6l80 but there is a lot of information and even more mis-information out there.

One interesting note...I had the car in the for the normal OLF on Friday and asked them to check the TCM maps and shift solenoids since the 2-3 shift was seeming a bit harsher than normal in drive mode (was thinking a solenoid might be on it's way out). Of course they couldn't 'recreate' the issue but my problems with the torque converter (assuming that is what happened) didn't start until after that service. So, I pulled the battery tonight to reset the TCM and PCM and make the trans relearn. So far so good but I only did a few minutes of driving.

I agree that driving like that would kill the trans which is why I only let it happen twice so I could observe what was going on with the revs, traction control and boost gauge. Trust me this was the first time that happened to me in manual mode and it definitely caught me off guard.

I have EFILive and I am planning on starting to tweak the trans in the coming weeks so any information would be greatly appreciated. I will shoot you an email right away. Thanks!!!

Resetting the TCM definitely fixed the problem...idk what the dealer did to mess with the auto lock or solenoid duty cycle for the torque converter but issues seems gone now.

jedhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V

With all the torque nannies off on my car, when its cold (45F here) outside, I get no traction in 1st or 2nd and the tail wags a bit going into 3rd. You will have some more power with the colder denser air and at the same time the tires won't have as much traction in the cold. I feel like I have two different cars between winter and summer (90+F). I had a problem with my car hitting the rev limiter in 1st and sometimes in 2nd when I let the car shift itself at WOT. My tuner raised the limiter to 6700rpm and set the shift point for 1st and 2nd at 6100rpm. I haven't hit the rev limiter since.

Bob

Yea it is amazing how different the car is in the colder weather...goes to show how inefficient our heat exchangers in the blower are and its the main reason I still plan to put a meth injection kit in the car once the warranty is up (assuming I keep it after that since I have not been extremely impressed thus far). I also don't get traction in 1st or 2nd but this was independent of that. Even the tech that took a ride with me first thought the car was downshifting from 2nd to 1st even with the car in manual mode...but then he realized that 1st gear wouldn't run out to 45mph lol.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.