My interior project: Phase one - Goodbye wood!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, My interior project: Phase one - Goodbye wood! in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I've only had my 2006 V for about two months, and i've been ready to get to modding since one ...
    The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

My interior project: Phase one - Goodbye wood!

I've only had my 2006 V for about two months, and i've been ready to get to modding since one month and three weeks ago. Now I finally have some time, so I decided to get started on the interior while it's too messy outside to drive the car. My plans for the interior are as follows.

First - ditch the wood trim...although I do like wood, I don't like the color/grain they picked for the STS-V, AND I don't really feel like it belongs in a car with this kind of attitude.

Second - Swap 2006-07 wheel for 2008 wheel and custom suede/leather wrap the rim, along with the shift knob to match.

Last - Find some nice billet aluminum pedals to complete the interior's "attitude adjustment".

Started on Phase one this week. First, I purchased a 2008 standard STS center bezel, because I love the added brushed aluminum. Got a crappy one on ebay for dirt cheap since I was going to be taking it apart anyway.

Next, I disassembled and thoroughly cleaned it, and also wetsanded and polished the clearcoat on the aluminum (it was somewhat scratched to begin with) to give it a flawless shine. I then applied 3M's Di-NOC film to the woodgrain parts, and reassembled.

While I was at it, I also did the shift knob, shifter bezel, and ashtray door to get rid of all that wood.

I then reassembled everything and snapped some quick pics. They are not the greatest of pics since this was in the dark, in my garage, lit with fluorescent fixtures.

Hope you like it, I sure do!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4

Re: My interior project: Phase one - Goodbye wood!

that looks pretty damn good

Nola V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V

Looks really good - I'll be thinking of it on my tango red. Problem is, I'm not talented enough to make it look as clean as yours.

cad08stsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 03 STS, 08 STS V

That looks bitchen !
    My I be so bold as to suggest the trim over the glove box????
    In any case you did a fine JOB
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Nola V View Post
    Looks really good - I'll be thinking of it on my tango red. Problem is, I'm not talented enough to make it look as clean as yours.
    If you need any guidance, let me know...there are tricks to make things go smoother. Working with these films takes some practice, but it's really not that bad.

550HP STSV is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Heavily Modified STS-V

Raven, that looks amazing. how much would you charge me if I sent you all the parts to have recovered?

Quote Originally Posted by 550HP STSV View Post
    Raven, that looks amazing. how much would you charge me if I sent you all the parts to have recovered?
    What parts exactly would you want done? The same thing I did? If so, do you have an 06/07 bezel or 08+?

Give me some details and i'll think about it.

jmak135 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): sts v

You do nice work but caddy's are suppose to have a timeless classic look that's what makes them a caddy i prefer the wood grain im not into the whole carbon fiber thing

hiltonny is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Were the parts you removed real wood or plastic? My 2000 ETC has real wood but they didn't seal the back so the humidity changes caused the smooth finish on the front to crack.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4

How did you get the wood off the door panel to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by jmak135 View Post
    You do nice work but caddy's are suppose to have a timeless classic look that's what makes them a caddy i prefer the wood grain im not into the whole carbon fiber thing
    I agree with this statement as applied to NON-V Cadillacs...and I think the wood in the STS V8 looks great...I would never want to get rid of it. I just don't like the color of the wood in the STS-V, and I don't think that the "timeless classic" look befits a 470hp performance machine that definitely has more attitude than luxury.

However this is certainly a matter of opinion, and Carbon Fiber is not for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by hiltonny View Post
    Were the parts you removed real wood or plastic? My 2000 ETC has real wood but they didn't seal the back so the humidity changes caused the smooth finish on the front to crack.
    Well, it's complicated. It is technically REAL wood. What they did is this - there is a plastic backing that forms the shape of the trim piece, then they glue a 1/8" thick piece of real wood to that, then they coat it all with a polymer-based topcoat (much like a piano finish).

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadCadSTS
    How did you get the wood off the door panel to do that?
    I didn't. Supposedly, you are supposed to pull straight up on the trim piece and it will come right out. SURE it will. I have plastic pry bars made for interior work and I could not see any way to apply enough force to get the pieces off without damaging the leather surrounding them. So I just applied the film with the pieces in place. It's not that hard really, I just applied liberal amounts of heat with the heat gun...heated the trim and leather surrounding it, and then heated the crap out of the film. Heat makes the film very soft and strecthy, so I was able to conform it perfectly over every button and knob, and then just cut around with a very sharp exacto knife.

Cataract is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V Black on Black

It looks great! I like how you combo-ed up the aluminum and CF.

Is the wrap shiny and hard to the touch or the softer textured wrap? It looks like the softer one. Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataract View Post
    Is the wrap shiny and hard to the touch or the softer textured wrap? It looks like the softer one. Good job.
    It is not what I would call "soft", but if you push really hard with your finger nail (and I mean REALLY hard), you can put a temporary mark in it, which will slowly fade away. I believe 3M does have a new clear-coated version of the film which would probably be harder to the touch.

Cataract is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V Black on Black

Quote Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
    It is not what I would call "soft", but if you push really hard with your finger nail (and I mean REALLY hard), you can put a temporary mark in it, which will slowly fade away. I believe 3M does have a new clear-coated version of the film which would probably be harder to the touch.
    Yea, I like the one you used a lot.

550HP STSV is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Heavily Modified STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
    What parts exactly would you want done? The same thing I did? If so, do you have an 06/07 bezel or 08+?

Give me some details and i'll think about it.
    Same exact thing you did. I will buy an 08+ bezel like you did. how much did you pay for that one?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.