New V owner-- ready to start modding
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, New V owner-- ready to start modding in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Hello all I am a new v owner and can never leave a car stock. Just thought I would ask ...
    chrisoldf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

New V owner-- ready to start modding

Hello all

I am a new v owner and can never leave a car stock. Just thought I would ask around here for the best mods that everyone has done. I just got in on the group buy on the Spectre intake, and the d3 lowering springs are sitting on my tool box. Those might go in tommorow, here in Boston we are getting a sh%t load of snow so I should have pleanty of time to get them in. I'll post some pics of my build as I go. Thanks in advance for any info you guys might want to pass along

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jerrylsantos is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: New V owner-- ready to start modding

I too just got my V. I am anxious to do mods, but due to monetary restrictions, and appreciation for the car as it is, i don't want to go too crazy. Lowering the car is at the top of my list. Make sure that you install the spacers on the rear shocks when you put them in.

The only other mods that come to mind can be found at http://www.d3cadillac.com/products/s...ormance-tuning

There is also a product called a LockPick which modifies the navigation unit's GPS, Bluetooth, and Video functionality while in motion.

Rich64SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V(gone)/08Raven w/ Ebony Tango STS-V

Hi Chris,
    Congrats and welcome! I work in Westwood, live in Uxbridge during the week, and on the Cape every weekend. I too ordered the Spectre intake. Also just received my hand held tuner from Wait4Me, but haven't had time to do the upload/download. I'm on the fence regarding exhaust. If I do change it, I'll probably go with the GM Accessory exhaust(Borla).
    We'll have to get together sometime.
    Rich

chrisoldf is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Jerry
    Thanks for the info, I checked out D3, man they have some high prices. But that is one of the few options for our cars.
    Rich
    The gm exhaust is the first thing I did to my v, and I love it. It sounds great but not too loud. I am interested in the wait4me tuner too, please let me know how it goes after you upload the tune. Any idea what kind of hp gaines the wait4me tuner gets you?

Rich64SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V(gone)/08Raven w/ Ebony Tango STS-V

I haven't seen any definitive numbers regarding HP from w4m tunes. Maybe someone will chime in.

I'd love to hear your exhaust in person sometime to help me make my decision. My last car was an 05 CTS-V w/Magnaflow catback and while it was a blast to drive, my wife didn't care for the noise. I'm hoping that something GM Authorized will be a little more subdued. I think the additional sound deadening in the STS-V vs. the CTS-V will also help the cabin decibels. The youtube vids just don't quite have me convinced.

Is your V a daily driver like mine?

Rich

jedhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V

My favorite mod as been installing a tuned PCM. It originally had a Wait4Me tune, but it was too aggressive a tune for the poor quality 91 Octane gas in California. I did not gain much peak power over stock, but the car feels much more powerful in 1st and 2nd gear. The transmission shifts much better, quicker and firmer than before. I am sure that with 93 Octane and better quality gas, the peak power will be better. The dynosheet is a before and after tuning with the Corsa exhaust the only mod in both runs.

Bob

550HP STSV is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Heavily Modified STS-V

So this shows that an exhaust and tune can pick up about 25 RWHP.

coach123 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS-V & CTS-V

Besides cosmetic modifications here are a list of performance mods that you can currently have done.

1. Change crank pulley or supercharger pulley
    2. Cold Air Intake
    3. Porting supercharger
    4. Re-gearing supercharger instead of changing pulley
    5. Exhaust
    6. Methanol or Nitrous
    7. Upgraded front mount heat exchanger

Wait4me doesn't have anything currently available except the handheld and of course D3 has a full array of products. Spectre just came out with the CAI. I advise doing some research on the forums or internet to find out info on other vendors. Check out the XLR-V forum for info on Snakebite because they have been flow testing sections of the intake and TB so far. I believe they are going to be doing some testing on the cats as well.

As of the end of December I am at 440rwhp and 465rwtq on my car. This was at a reputable shop with a dynojet 248C here in Atlanta. I'm trying to break 450rwhp without meth or nitrous.

Same exhaust on both runs. The only difference is the tune. I gained 2whp peak and 5wft-lbs tq peak.

I think the only way currently to get big power is installing a twin rear mount turbo feeding the supercharger through the intercooler. D3 installed one on a STS-V with pretty much the whole bolt on catalog(1 through 7 except for 4) including headers, and now has the rear mount twin turbo. I was told that the setup works really well with the supercharger providing all the off idle power and the turbos kicking in when the blower is maxed out to give the high rpm horsepower. According to the owner, the car is frighteningly fast.

Bob

So D3 has a rear mount turbo car that still uses the same M122 supercharger and intercooler? The intercooler and the supercharger eventually will be the restriction points. The eaton superchargers are less efficient and typically need to be over spun and ported to achieve decent power. The porting allows for additional air through the supercharger and there is not much you can do with the stock intercooler but it is a big choke point. I wonder why D3 has never advertised or put this package on their website.

Good for them for attempting something different. I would like to see a kenne ball and a custom intercooler put on the engine. They have achieved amazing numbers but in the end the rear is the weak point of the car. No sense in making a 600-700rwhp car with a glass diff.

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Quote Originally Posted by coach123 View Post
    I'm trying to break 450rwhp without meth or nitrous.
    Or Breaking anything else!!

How much is D3's full turbo package? I didn't see a price listed on the website. Have they done anything to fix the rear?

The transmission can hold over 500rwhp as long as you don't do burnouts. It's the wheel hop the kills the differential. I haven't had a single problem with my car but I never do burnouts or track the car. I only hit the gas when I'm doing at least 25mph. Besides I can't get traction at full throttle until I'm up to 40-50mph anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by coach123 View Post
    So D3 has a rear mount turbo car that still uses the same M122 supercharger and intercooler? The intercooler and the supercharger eventually will be the restriction points. The eaton superchargers are less efficient and typically need to be over spun and ported to achieve decent power. The porting allows for additional air through the supercharger and there is not much you can do with the stock intercooler but it is a big choke point. I wonder why D3 has never advertised or put this package on their website.

Good for them for attempting something different. I would like to see a kenne ball and a custom intercooler put on the engine. They have achieved amazing numbers but in the end the rear is the weak point of the car. No sense in making a 600-700rwhp car with a glass diff.
    The main problem we have with swapping superchargers is that you need to create/design a new intake manifold since the supercharger/intercooler and intake are all intergrated. This new manifold will cost tens of thousands to design, test and manufacture (new castings). Because of the way GM designed the intake/supercharger system on our engines, we can't just swap superchargers like the Ford boys. I believe the supercharger swaps can be done on the LSX engines easier.

Bob

Bob

silverws6ta is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 STS-V; '10 STS 1SG; '08 Escalade, '08 Escalade EXT

Quote Originally Posted by jedhead View Post
    The main problem we have with swapping superchargers is that you need to create/design a new intake manifold since the supercharger/intercooler and intake are all intergrated. This new manifold will cost tens of thousands to design, test and manufacture (new castings). Because of the way GM designed the intake/supercharger system on our engines, we can't just swap superchargers like the Ford boys. I believe the supercharger swaps can be done on the LSX engines easier.

Bob

Bob
    Bob, not sure if you noted one of my posts in an earlier thread, but it was in regards to the TVS1900 / TVS2300 design and efficiency compared to the M122 -- D3 definitely has something up their sleeve from any indication.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.