Dead Battery
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Dead Battery in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Went to move the car in order to clean out some crap in the garage and nothing. Thought is was ...
    pj96ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS V

Dead Battery

Went to move the car in order to clean out some crap in the garage and nothing. Thought is was the key fobs at first but when none of the 4 worked, I opened the door with the key. Not a single thing electrically worked. Hooked up the battery charger and it'd say that it was taking a charge till it got to around 23% charged then the charger would flash 'Check' (ie something is wrong with battery). I've read a few previous posts and there isn't much out there exept the AC Delco or Advance Auto battery. I'm going to take it to be tested tomorrow and if Advance Auto and Batteries Plus both say it's bad, I'll take it to the Caddy Dealer for a free replacement. The car is a 2008 and so it should be 100% free at this point.

P.J.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jedhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Re: Dead Batery

I thought my battery was starting to fail. O'Rielly's wanted $129 for a battery 72 month warranty 2 year free replacement and the Optima Red Top goes for $149. I recall someone on the forum is using red top.

Bob

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

See if they will put in an Optima

178289-78 It is a group 78 battery.

I have them in stock $152.95. Just thought I'd give the info. I know you are going to get it under warranty............

http://www.streetsideauto.com/produc...r=78&Skip=True

More Info I found:
    The Optima model number for this battery is 78. If you are replacing an Optima battery you already have, this model is the same as batteries marked 8078-109, 9078-109, 178289-7878, RED78, SC78S, or N9978RED.

Berger 93 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS-V

OEM Battery falls under the bumper to bumper Cadi Warranty . . . Since yours is 2008 you should get one free from the stealer . . . I did! :-)

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

If the car is still under warranty then they will swap you out with another Delco battery at no charge. I ended up sticking a RedTop in my STS-V about a year after I got it and never had any battery issues. But then it was also a daily driver.

JPSTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2002 Eldorado ETC, 2003 Escalade, 2007 STS-V All Black

Thanks for the posts on this one, I had mine not start cause I was learning and playing with all the options and setups. Had a few cold ones and did alot of reading/playing. But I charged it ok and now seems to be ok. Good to know about the replacements. I do run three Optima's in my boat and I can tell you they are worth it.

I took the battery to Advance Auto Parts and they tested it. No bad cells but 100% drained. They gave me a nice printout to take to the dealer. They do stock our size battery in the back (not a big enough mover to take up retail shelf space). I took it home and thru it back on my charger. After several attempts, I was able to get my battery charged. I have a Sears DieHard Platinum Microprocessor-controlled Battery Charger Engine Starter #71227 and that was my charging problem. I made a couple of calls and found out that the microprocessor charger is very sensitive to non-AGM batteries and flips its sensors often if the battery is a regular one with less than 50% charge. I ran out and bought a cheap $20 charger and the battery charged up fine. Took it back to Advance Auto Parts and they re-tested it and it was perfect.
    I re-installed the battery and the car was back to normal. I kept all the setting (radio, homelink, seat, etc) even though the battery was out of the car for almost a week. The key fobs didn't want to work unless they were in the little pocket in the center consol. After a couple of starts with each key fob in the pocket, they seem to be back to normal as well. The car did recognize the key fobs as 1, 2, 3, and 4 respectively so there was no resetting anything there. It seems that the car just needed to re-recognize them in the pocket as they wouldn't do a single thing standing next to the car with all doors closed.

The car seems to be back to normal.

P.J.

cad08stsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 03 STS, 08 STS V

I will try the Yellow top
    Russell

Re: Dead Battery

Dead battery once again. It's still the original one for the car. It took a full charge a couple of weeks ago. I was begining to think that something was left on (interior light or something) but I thought these cars shut everything down after a certain amount of time if key fob is out of it. Is this true? I'd read the manual (but I'm a guy with pbuic skool edjumication) but an knee deep in assembling all the kids things.

I'm wanting to get it charged enough to start in order to drive it to the dealership instead of towing.

P.J.

hiltonny is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

How long did the car sit without running? The computers are always on and can drain a car battery in as little as two weeks. Either add a trickle charger or disconnect the battery if you plan on not driving it for a few weeks.

I spent a couple of hours at the dealer this morning. Told them that this is the second time in 4 weeks that the battery was completely drained after sitting for 2 weeks. They said they tested everything from the battery to all electrical components. Everything tested fine. Battery fine. No drains or draws when off. Their suggestion is to have it on a trickle charger when sitting. I nicely asked for them to provide me with one. Of course that drew a laugh until I mentioned that if GM makes an $80k + car that can't sit for a couple of weeks without being driven before the battery goes dead then I'll get the car free on lemon law. I also mentioned that I travel a lot for work and some trips are several weeks long. What am I to do if I drive it to the airport? Take a long ass extension cord and charger? The service mgr just sat there. I did mention that the car has sat for longer than 2 weeks a year ago with no problems. It's inside a garage the whole time, not sitting out in the freezing weather. I told him to mark his calendar for a date in 2 weeks and this time Cadillac comes to me, no more charging the battery and taking it to them. Something has to be wrong. More than likely the battery (at least I hope), but a car that can't sit without being driven like this is crazy.

P.J.

jedhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by jedhead View Post
    I thought my battery was starting to fail. O'Rielly's wanted $129 for a battery 72 month warranty 2 year free replacement and the Optima Red Top goes for $149. I recall someone on the forum is using red top.

Bob
    My Delco took a dump. I had a weak cell. I went to Autozone and they sold me a new Optima Red Top for $129. So far so good.

Bob

fast_lane10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS - V

I shouldn't be surprised if my car doesn't start coz it's been sitting for a month. Just waiting for a nice weekend to see what's in store for me .. my battery did run out once before though ..while cleaning the car as the radio was on for about an hour.

silverws6ta is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 STS-V; '10 STS 1SG; '08 Escalade, '08 Escalade EXT

Quote Originally Posted by pj96ss View Post
    I spent a couple of hours at the dealer this morning. Told them that this is the second time in 4 weeks that the battery was completely drained after sitting for 2 weeks. They said they tested everything from the battery to all electrical components. Everything tested fine. Battery fine. No drains or draws when off. Their suggestion is to have it on a trickle charger when sitting. I nicely asked for them to provide me with one. Of course that drew a laugh until I mentioned that if GM makes an $80k + car that can't sit for a couple of weeks without being driven before the battery goes dead then I'll get the car free on lemon law. I also mentioned that I travel a lot for work and some trips are several weeks long. What am I to do if I drive it to the airport? Take a long ass extension cord and charger? The service mgr just sat there. I did mention that the car has sat for longer than 2 weeks a year ago with no problems. It's inside a garage the whole time, not sitting out in the freezing weather. I told him to mark his calendar for a date in 2 weeks and this time Cadillac comes to me, no more charging the battery and taking it to them. Something has to be wrong. More than likely the battery (at least I hope), but a car that can't sit without being driven like this is crazy.

P.J.
    My car would not make it 2 weeks between drives until i had *all* ECU/TCM updates performed -- Actually if you check http://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web and pull all updates up with your VIN; there is one that addresses battery drain.

Let me research.. i will post!

silverws6ta is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 STS-V; '10 STS 1SG; '08 Escalade, '08 Escalade EXT

Here you go:

ID Selected# Description
    1 12614654 New software contains diagnostics enhancement for DTC P0128 and DTC P0507. Also addresses battery drain.
    2 12614663 New calibration contains diagnostics enhancement for DTC P0128 and DTC P0507. Also addresses battery drain.
    3 12634314 New calibration for improved fuel gauge accuracy.
    4 12614664 New calibration contains diagnostics enhancement for DTC P0128 and DTC P0507. Also addresses battery drain.
    5 12628586 New calibration with diagnostic enhancements for DTC P0111.
    6 12614655 New calibration contains diagnostics enhancement for DTC P0128 and DTC P0507. Also addresses battery drain.
    7 12607443 Slave Operating System. Replaces 12600036 (CVN 0000C34F), 12599605 (CVN 00009A10), 12598373 (CVN 0000933B), 12584175 (CVN 00000CBF)
    8 12607786 New calibration to address engine oil starvation display signal on.

Controller: PCM/VCM Powertrain/Vehicle Control Module

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.