Dead Battery - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Dead Battery in Cadillac V-Series Forums; My original OEM battery blew up, after eighteen months. Cadillac replaced it, the second battery had some issues, I warranteed ...
    fast impala is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V, sold to fish!

Re: Dead Battery

My original OEM battery blew up, after eighteen months. Cadillac replaced it, the second battery had some issues, I warranteed it out, and got another new OEM battery.

These cars just love voltage. If you don't put good miles on them everyday, you may have issues.

I hardwired a Deltran Battery Tender into mine. I leave it on all the time. Just disconnect and go. It is a little disappointing to have to do it, but you do what you have to do.

On a sidenote, I had a discussion with my long time GM mechanic, and the alternators on new GM stuff, maybe since 08, have a charge disconnect feature. If your voltage is high enough, say above 12.8 or so, the alternator completely kicks out. It won't kick in, until it hits a value in the ECM.

The reason I noticed this, I recently bought a 2011 Chevy CrewCab, with the 6.2 engine. The voltage gauge would read consistently in the high twelves, I thought something was wrong with it. I went in and asked about it, and sure enough, if the voltage is high enough, it doesn't charge.

If you're towing, or when you start up, it will kick in, and then kick out, when the voltage is high enough.

I just wonder if this charging system is affecting all these issues we see with the V's?

silverws6ta is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 STS-V; '10 STS 1SG; '08 Escalade, '08 Escalade EXT

Quote Originally Posted by fast impala View Post
    I just wonder if this charging system is affecting all these issues we see with the V's?
    See my previous posts regarding module calibrations that affect battery drain. I leave my car parked for 2 weeks and fires right up after they were performed. I am still on the original battery as well.

fast_lane10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS - V

I was expecting a dead battery as my car has been sitting for more than a month but to my surprise it fired up right away

stephenstay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade, 2007 STS-V

I'm sure there many battery stories and suggestions. I was away on holiday for three weeks and my 07 STS-V ( under 3 years from in service date) was dead. I charged it up, took the car to the dealer and they said it and the battery was fine. About 5 months later the same thing happened. I charged the battery and got it started and I took it to the dealer and blocked on of the service doors. Naturally, it wouldn't start. They called to say the battery was being replaced. Really?, "I'm shocked". I haven't had a problem now for almost a year. I'll be replacing this battery with an Optima when this one goes.

PwdrCtr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 STS V

Could anyone running an Optima please confirm the size I need. I put the car up for the winter, but I have to drive it tomorrow. I plan to use the Advance Auto 25% of ad from this forum. I'll order online and pickup in store on my way home tonight.
    BTW, Even Optima's website only lists the Escalade when you try to use their selector tool.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by PwdrCtr View Post
    BTW, Even Optima's website only lists the Escalade when you try to use their selector tool.
    Optima's website and most battery replacement manuals do not show the proper replacements for the STS-V. There's an entire thread on it here.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-than-oem.html

pj96ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS V

I'll have to take measurements of the battery in my 2008. It is a top post, not a side like the Optima 78.

P.J.

jedhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V

I have a Optima Redtop with side posts. The battery cover holes did not line up with the new battery so I left the battery cover off. The part number on the battery is 178289-78 and the model number is 78.

Bob

willits is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1958 Coupe DeVille, 1961 Series 62 Convertible, 2008 STS-V

I put a Yellow Top in my 2008. The part was YT U 4.2, (I’m in Prague – different part #’s in Europe) which looks to be the same as D34/78. It is actually a little narrower than the OEM Delco. It fits in the holder with no problems. The only thing I had to do was to straighten the battery terminal connectors because the battery posts are set further in the middle of the battery than the OEM.

The car sat for 6 weeks due to huge piles of snow here and no road cleaning from the city. Last week the snow finally melted to the point I could get on the road and the V started right up.

deadhorse is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS-V

I had this same issue happen to me today. Drove the car as I do everyday and parked it in the garage last night, got up this morning to go to work and everything is dead. I checked the battery and it was at 12.3v. Took the truck to work.

On the way home bought a Yellow top Optima(group 78) and installed and still no power. At all. Nothing. I removed the back seat and checked all the fuses there and under the hood....all are fine.

I'm on the verge of towing it to the dealer and getting raped(I'm sure)....anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Frank

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.