Cadillac Owners Forum banner

changing front brake pads on 07 sts-v

10K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  chekasout 
#1 ·
is there anything different or unique about changing front brake pads on an '07 sts-v..... compared to "regular" cars????

#6 ·
#8 ·
GM is pretty standard with their 100 ft/lb torque rate for the lugs.

What I have to ask the OP, in the topic, you have just "Changing front pads". Is this exactly what you're doing? Or are you doing a full brake job, replacing/burnishing the rotors too?

If just the pads, yes, push down on the retaining clip, pop out the lower guide pin. Pull up and remove the retaining clip, then drive out the upper guide pin. You now have access to the pads for R&R. A word of note though, you may have to push back the pistons in the caliper to be able to pull the old pads out. You can't just use a "C" clamp like on regular calipers for two reasons. 1) You'll damage your pretty Brembo caliper. and 2) These calipers aren't your standard single piston on one side, "floating" caliper. There are pistons on each side. You can't "float" the caliper in order to push the pistons in.

Instead, you need to insert a non-metal wedge piece between the pads and the rotor, and gently apply leverage to push the pistons back. Repeat process for the other side of the caliper.

If you're additionally replacing your rotors, you will need to remove the caliper from the wheel knuckle. The first step is GM's tecnical step, BUT, if you can gently remove the brake line from it's metal retaining clip, this first step can be avoided.

1) Remove the brake line at the caliper by removing the bolt holding the banjo fitting to the caliper. Two metal washers are on each side. GM says to discard them and replace with new pieces. But if they aren't damaged, I don't see why they can't be re-used.

2) Remove the two bolts holding the caliper to the knuckle.

For Reinstall, Torque specs are 95 lb/ft for the caliper bolts and 25 lb/ft (I believe) on the banjo bolt.

While bleeding is always a good practice no matter what, if you do step 1, you will definitly need to bleed. You have to bleed on both sides of the caliper on this car. Start with the outer side first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.