Fuel gauge goofiness
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Fuel gauge goofiness in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Is there any TSB's on this? When I got home last night, I was just under half a tank, when ...
    CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

Fuel gauge goofiness

Is there any TSB's on this?

When I got home last night, I was just under half a tank, when I pulled out of my driveway this morning, it said I had a half tank of gas. By the time I pulled out on the main street out of our subdivision, I was down below a 1/4 tank.

Not sure if it's a software glitch? Or a bad level sensor/sending unit in the tank? Or what?

Just curious if others have had this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jmak135 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): sts v

Re: Fuel gauge goofiness

check this bulliten out this happens on most gm cars i see it often just google gm tsb 05-00-89-078B

bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Been there - twice. First time they reflashed the ROMs and it went away for a few weeks, then happened again. Second time they flashed everything (ECM, PCM, etc.) and I have been good since. Dealer claims it was a miscommunication between the sensors on both sides of the tank. Only happens when you get below 1/2 tank, since gas can slosh to one side of the hump. It is supposed to be picked up by the sensors and gas redistributed, but if the sensors get out of whack, that doesn't happen and you are reading off of only one of them - the one with the least amount of gas.

Good luck.
    Bob

Thanks, I will look into these items.

brbevil is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Try Techron or Lucas additive

Try a fuel additive with Techron or the Lucas fuel cleaner. This has proven successful is removing the deposits which keep the multiple floats clean of deposits.

Umm, I don't have any issues with deposits and I've already run multiple bottles of Techron through the tank as I do that usually every other tank, thanks though.

I've been using Techron for years. It is the same stuff GM relabels and sells in their own bottles, and what we'd use as first step when diagnosing random misfiring in GM FWD V6 cars. I did this back when I worked at a Chevy dealer in service. The pintle's on the injector basically would corrode from low quality fuel, causing errant firing of the injector. This stuff is what does a nice job cleaning them out.

So I'm pretty familiar with it.

silverws6ta is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 STS-V; '10 STS 1SG; '08 Escalade, '08 Escalade EXT

Quote Originally Posted by CMNTMXR57 View Post
    Umm, I don't have any issues with deposits and I've already run multiple bottles of Techron through the tank as I do that usually every other tank, thanks though.

I've been using Techron for years. It is the same stuff GM relabels and sells in their own bottles, and what we'd use as first step when diagnosing random misfiring in GM FWD V6 cars. I did this back when I worked at a Chevy dealer in service. The pintle's on the injector basically would corrode from low quality fuel, causing errant firing of the injector. This stuff is what does a nice job cleaning them out.

So I'm pretty familiar with it.
    Yes sir.. We don't have many Texaco or Chevron stations here anymore (sigh) and they had Techron in their fuels as well. Sidenote, O'Reillys has buy one get one free right now on Techron Synthetic.. a good deal! (Put a bottle in my SSEi the other day.. 146k miles.. and counting

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.