Need Help With Brakes STS-V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Need Help With Brakes STS-V in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Hey, i'm new to the forum. i run an automotive shop, and have done thousands of brake jobs over the ...
    lexus677 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2011 CTS-V

Need Help With Brakes STS-V

Hey, i'm new to the forum. i run an automotive shop, and have done thousands of brake jobs over the years, last week i did a resurface and installed new pads that i had in stock, the brakes really started squealing bad, i took everything apart re lubed everything, and put it all back together, still got bad squeals, so i ordered some new ebc cross drilled rotors, thought maybe i'd turn the factory rotors to much, after replacing the new rotors, and installed new pads i still got the squeak, has anyone else ran across this problem. Thanks john

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PGA2B is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Re: Need Help With Brakes STS-V

What kind of pads?

wagner thermoquiet, semi metallic

cad08stsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 03 STS, 08 STS V

Here is a URL for Pad most prople are using
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-pad-sale.html
    This one was on parge 4 of the forum There are mentions of brake pads on pages 2,3, and so on. Take a look
    The guy at this url can do you right with prices and services. I buy from him all the time.
    Russell

When I bought mine the dealer put those on because they had to put pads on to certify it and they did not have the GM pads in stock. I made them take them off because the squealing. The stock pads do not squeal. I have since put on Hawk Ceramic pads and have no squeal and much less dust than the stock pads.

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

While I have not done brakes on this car yet (since it has newer ones on it), my two suggestions;

1) How much Ni-Glue (GM's name for it) did you use on the backing plates on each pad. CRC makes a suitable alternative called Disc Brake Anti-squeel and is orange. It spreads on like liquid, but then hardens to a sticky rubber texture and helps alleviate squeeling from the pads vibrating up against the pistons/caliper where they mount to.

2) If there are any little steel metal clips that, usually attached to the caliper bracket, which the pads ride in. These pieces can also serve to help keep pads from vibrating from rotational forces as you brake. Chrysler vehicles specifically are pretty notorious in adamantly using these metal pieces as anti-squeel devices.

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

Get Hawk HP Pads. It sounds like the wagners are your problem

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

I have Hawk pads on both my GTO and on my previous Bonneville GXP. They both squeeled. The GTO no matter how much I try to quiet them down, are still embarrassingly loud to drive around in traffic even after getting them hot. They still squeel so bad. Before you tell me I don't know what I'm doing, much like the OP owning his own shop, I'm a former GM technician and have done my fair share of brake jobs over the years! Anyway, I've had them off 4x to try to stop them from squeeling and I'm ready to chuck the expensive PowerSlot rotors to see if that'll quiet them down any. But I digress...

So while they stop great, I can't fully endorse that point of view. Any higher performance pad and rotor is going to be noisier and prone to squeel than an OEM piece of equipment or an OEM replacment part. That's just the price for having spleen killing braking power.

cadillac94pimpin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham,06 STS-V Black/Tango, 06 Hayabusa LE

I have had 0 issues with my hawk HPS pads. Front and rear have both been replaced. We sanded the rotors, all hardware and lubed the sh*t out of the pins, the retainer and sanded the pads a little bit. I also put lube on both sides of the backing plate that the pads and pistons sit on.

We also burnished the breaks exactly how Hawk recomended.

I have heard certain rotor and pad mixtures dont always work well with each other.

Coming to a squealing stop in such a nice car BLOWS! GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for all the input, last thing left is to order some new pads, yeah it is embarrasing coming to a stop in such a nice car and squeal, "like a ship coming into port"...lol, ive replaced everything beside the brand of pads.Ive got the ebc rotors, cross drilled and slotted, any luck with the ebc pads? or hawk's all the way?

I had the Red Stuff on my Lincoln LS and I put high temp grease on the back of the pads and they did not squeal. Otherwise they will squeal for about 500-1000 miles.

cad08stsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 03 STS, 08 STS V

Since you were a GM Tech than why not call Luke at Lindsey Cadillac and ask him about this issue. He is a GM parts guy and has extensive experence with
    both STSV and CTSV. I have never had any problems with his products. He is a bit expensive so you may want to get a part number
    from him and than translate it to a more affordable retailer. One of the authorized vendors here will give you a discount, so it may be
    worth a couple of phone calls. If the pads doesn't help than I would say you have issues with the rotors themselves.
    I have EBC rotors on my 08 STSV that are slotted and dimpled. The combo has never given me any of the problems you are experiencing. The vendor I am recomending is StreetSideAuto.com Hope this helps I know what a pain in the a.. this is.
    I don't think anyone with any car since like this noise. Best of luck.
    Russell

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

I have hawk hps on my c5 vette that has the c6 zo6 big brake kit on it. I drive this car hard stops from 150 plus all the time and autocross it. no noise at all they get so hot the Rotors glow red. Had hawk pads on my 750il BMW and that had $400 eBay rotors on it and they made noise for abought 500 miles then went away. The v still has factory pads for now and they make noise under 20mph but not to bad it will get hawk in the spring.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

so did you get new pads? did that solve it?
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

jmak135 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): sts v

The noise is coming from the pads or caliper vibrating in the bracket make sure u lubercate youre slides u can also champher the leading edge of pad this may dampen the noise also brake compound may play a part in this get a softer pad make sure the rotors are smooth meaning resurfaced or new also durring break in 20 to 30 light to mderate stops with time in betweene for the pads to cool

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.