Anyone do an LSx style MAF conversion?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Anyone do an LSx style MAF conversion? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; First, I did a search and got nothing Second, last night, started taking her apart. Examining the intake setup, I ...
    CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

Anyone do an LSx style MAF conversion?

First, I did a search and got nothing

Second, last night, started taking her apart. Examining the intake setup, I see we have a cartridge style MAF (which requires that screw mount setup that holds it in place).

My question is, has anyone converted to an LSx style MAF successfully? This would make doing any CAI plumbing infinetely easier and possibly moving the MAF further down (away from heat), and running a longer straight runner pipe (eliminating the silencer tubes underneath the stock accordian tube)? I know the pigtail connectors are different than an LSx so at some point I'll try looking on Casper's website and see if they have any harnesses converters to alleviate this.

Just curious?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Re: Anyone do an LSx style MAF conversion?

You will also have to have a tuner like EFI Live or HP Tuner to import the LSx MAF tables. It should be able to be done depending on the pin out of the current MAF.

Not worried about that. Speed Inc is 10 miles away. It'll get tuned on their dynojet anyway.

I found a pigtail harness that looks very similar to what I pulled off last night. So I emailed them and inquired. If worse comes to worse, I drive the car up to Mundelein and let them do a little R&D.

Sounds like you are all set then.

550HP STSV is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Heavily Modified STS-V

I always wondered this. The CTS-V V2 guys are getting huge gains swapping to a ported C6 Z06 throttle body & MAF....

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

A maf is a maf, it isnt going to add power if it is tuned correctly, It will just add the fuel needed for the amount of airflow coming in. The diameter of the meter is what dictates the amount of horsepower it can handle so it can count the air coming thru.

You can gain the same amount of power on a v2 by just porting the stock unit as well.

Any tuning software can fix the maf curve for you. Or why not just shut if off and run without one. That would be just as easy.

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
    You can gain the same amount of power on a v2 by just porting the stock unit as well.
    Are you talking about the Snout Porting from the V2 forum?

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
    Any tuning software can fix the maf curve for you. Or why not just shut if off and run without one. That would be just as easy.
    Isn't Speed Density Tuning more difficult?

jedhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V

We tried different size inserts which effectively changes the size of the MAF on the Spectre Performance Intake and did not see any improvement from the stock size when testing the the dyno. We may try again with different inserts when the production model is tested.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by jedhead View Post
    We tried different size inserts which effectively changes the size of the MAF on the Spectre Performance Intake and did not see any improvement from the stock size when testing the the dyno. We may try again with different inserts when the production model is tested.

Bob
    The sleeve sizes change the velocity of the air moving past the MAF and the frequency which result in different ltft's. They are making sure there will be no codes set with the new Intake. I tried to run without any sleeve on the prototype I have in my car but it set lean codes. I now have a larger sleeve than you had with no issues so they will be testing yours with the bigger sleeve when you go back. If I ever get a tuner I will take out the sleeve completely and tune it so I can take advantage of the larger tube size.

P.S. Make sure you take your Factory PCM so they can test it. You are also going to test both sizes of the sleeve.

I put the stock PCM back in the car for a trip to the dealership and left it installed. I will bring the tuned ECU with me when they call, hopefully very soon. I was hoping that the production model would be in this week since the car will be in a car show Sunday.

Bob

I'm not a fan of speed density setup on a DD. I want what little economy I can get out of this already thirsty beast, out of it.

The whole impetus of why I asked this is two-fold;

1) Less restriction in the intake path (no hard bulky plastic module sticking down into the airflow), Just a set of thermistors on two small metal rails, as well as the directional vane in the center. At the same time, no loss of inside diameter of the plumbing. Although a little venturi effect through the MAF itself might pose interesting results.

2) Packaging. Right now, our OEM MAF requires some form of a mount, to screw the MAF module down to. This means a couple things. First you either have to hack up your OEM airbox to simply get that section of plumbing with the OEM mount point or second, have someone fabricate a similar setup. Utilizing an LSx style MAF (I've got a few of them laying around), you eliminate this point of contention. Just insert the MAF into the plumbing anywhere you so desire and plug the harness in. It allows for much more creativity and ease of modding your intake path.

Anyway, I'm going to have it over at Speed Inc on Saturday for a run on the rollers and I'm going to confer with them on whether or not they can tune accordingly.

rubber2burn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts-v

Help me out here guys, seeing as we have positive forced air injected motors, what differance does the resistance of the incomming air have on performance? If it is just a matter of getting more air through the motor, cant I just make a smaller pully to accomplish this? If there is gains being seen by changing the MAF couldent you get the same results by changing the effect of those readings in a custome tune? Just my 2 cents of thought.

I find that I can suck up more of my drink faster with a large straw from McDonalds than the tiny red stirring sipping straws in mixed drinks. I think the same theory applies to the intakes. Large unrestricted pipes vs smaller diameter pipes with baffles. The large unrestricted pipes will make it easier for the supercharger to ingest the air. When we did the testing on the prototype intake we used different sized inserts that effectively changed the diameter of the pipe where the Mass Air Sensor. The larger insert made a little more power.

Bob

What the sleeves did was change the velosity of the air moving accross the MAF so the reading would be witin factory spec as to no trigger a CEL. With the intake one can take out the sleeves and do a custom MAF Table tune and get more out of it because you are not restricting any air flow at all. I plan to do that in the future with the HP Tuners or SCT Pro Race package. It should be wortha few more hp.

As for the LSx style MAF we would need to test both the LSx and our factory on a dyno to see how much restriction the MAF "hanging out" in the air stream effects the flow of the incomming air on the factory vs the LSx style. It again requires a MAF table tune to get the numbers right. There may be a gain seen but without proper testing we will never know.

When I was observing the testing, Guy told me that he wanted to try a smaller than stock insert to increase the velocity of the air across the MAF. Guy said in testing the 4.6 Ford motor the smaller MAF showed an increase in power on the dyno. In our case the stock size insert showed more power over the smaller insert. Guy wants to repeat this testing when the production unit is installed. I plan to take my car back to my tuner and I will try to completely remove the insert to see if I get any difference in power with fine tuning.

Bob

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.