Tires
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Tires in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I know there are a few threads on this already but I have a question unique to my needs. I ...
    Red Snake is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V

Tires

I know there are a few threads on this already but I have a question unique to my needs.

I have 17,000 miles on the car and the rear tires are running totally bald right down the center of the tire (more on the left than the right). This really has me baffled because the car has never done a burn out, never been on the track and the tire pressure has been precisely on the recommended tire pressure (they have NOT been overinflated).

Anyway, I am certainly ditching the runflats. There is NO WAY I'll put the stockers back on there.

This car will not see the track. This car will not street race. This is strictly a grocery getter and family hauler (road trips to our vacation home).

What are the best tire choices within these parameters?

1. Low Road Noise
    2. Ride Comfort
    3. Tread Wear Longevity

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Re: Tires

I am VERY happy with my Hankook V12 EVO's. Got them from Discount Tire Direct.

As far as wear take your rear pressure down. Remember we have a rear wheel drive car and due to the Centrifugal force the drive tires will wear faster than the fronts. Similar to drag tires. I am sure you have seen NHRA Top Fuel cars run and the tires "stand up". Now of course our tires to do respond quite that way but the principle is the same.

Berger 93 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS-V

Do NOT get Bridgestone Turanza Serenity of Good Year Eagle F1 AS

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Berger 93 View Post
    I've had Goodyear Eagle F1's A/S on a couple cars, including my GTO, and love them. The real only downside I've had is that they wear fairly quickly and get noisy once they wear, otherwise... been very happy with them and I love their looks.

On this one, it came with Michelin Pilot Sports. SO far I've been pleased with them. They're pretty quiet too, but I'm not overall crazy about their looks. I also don't care for the fact that they have a smaller rim guard vs. say, the Eagle F1's A/S.

It sounds like you were running over inflated.

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

Bfg,s- kdw. Nitto-nt555. The bfgs have a new tire out that I will by next time very good looking tire I run bfg on my camaro. Nitto,s on my 750il BMW very good wear with them. Nitto invos on my c5 good in rain very quiet good ride no good in snow our wet grass. Great every where else. Look cool to.

Berger 93 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS-V

Thumbs down Re: Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Berger 93 View Post
    I forgot to say why . . NOISE!!!!! They sound like mudder tires after about 5,000 miles.

csf
    csf is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V (Platinum/Gray)

My car is strictly a road car also - no track, mods, racing, etc. It sounds like you might want a high performance all season tire - slightly less handling then a pure summer tire, but able to be driven all year long and higher treadwear ratings. I went with the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RE960AS. I only have 8,000 miles so far, but no visible wear yet, relatively quiet, handle just fine, and really stable in rain (just had 6" last week - roads had standing water everywhere - car and tires were great). There is no comparison with the runflats - like a different car. I think the comparable Michelins might handle a little better but are also noisier and more expensive. I'm happy so far - would buy them again. Good luck.

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

still loving my Toyo T1-R's

Rich64SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 Stealth Gray CTS-V(gone)/08Raven w/ Ebony Tango STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by csf View Post
    My car is strictly a road car also - no track, mods, racing, etc. It sounds like you might want a high performance all season tire - slightly less handling then a pure summer tire, but able to be driven all year long and higher treadwear ratings. I went with the Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position RE960AS. I only have 8,000 miles so far, but no visible wear yet, relatively quiet, handle just fine, and really stable in rain (just had 6" last week - roads had standing water everywhere - car and tires were great). There is no comparison with the runflats - like a different car. I think the comparable Michelins might handle a little better but are also noisier and more expensive. I'm happy so far - would buy them again. Good luck.
    I had those on my CTS-V and loved everything about them. When it came time for tires on my STS-V, I stupidly went with Continental Extreme Contact AS. While they are fantastic in the inclement weather and wear departments, they are noisier than I expected them to be after reading all of the reviews on tirerack.com.

jedhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V

I had a set of Continental Extreme DWS. They were pretty good performers for all season tires. I wore the rears out at 12.5K miles, but Americas Tires gave me a 65% discount on a new set. I convinced them to honor the 50,000 mile treadwear warranty although I could not rotate the tires. My reasoning was that if I was able to rotate the tires, they would have still worn out at 25K miles. The Continental were a little noisy, but not as loud as the OEM Pirellis. I currently have Hankook Ventus V12 and they are best performance tires that I had mounted on the car yet. I am hoping the rears will last to the next oil change and they are little more quiet than the DWS.

Bob

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Center tire wear for the rear tires is very common on this car. Between 28-30psi cold I found was best going through 3 sets of tires. The recommended pressures are bunk.

My last set of All Seasons was the best overall tire I ran out of the 3, decent grip in the wet, not noisy (at least up to the 20K miles on them when I traded it) and good wear life. The tires had about 20K on them and looked about 50-60% wear. Those were Michelin Pilot Sport A/S/ Plus.

Red Snake is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V

Thanks for all of the input. Great info as always!!!

choigilligan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110, great tire, plus it's inexpensive, and handles very well in the wet. I have this one on my car. Kinda looked down my nose at it initially, wanted a more name brand tire, but the more I read the more you realize this is a great tire and a great price.

If money isn't an object, go with the Bridgestone Potenza RE050, probably one of the best tires period, hands down the best handling tire I've ever used, very progressive and you can "feel" it losing traction and breaking away, and you still feel like you're in control. Those 2 are high performance summer tires.

If you're looking for high performance all season tires go with the Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season, I know you all hate the OEM run "craps" the car came with but these Pirelli's are very good. Perfect for grocery getting in your 469hp car.

I've used all of these tires, as well as the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S and the Continental Extreme Contact DWS (sounds like a bad mountain dew flavor) and I must say for an all season tire the Pirelli is great. Those other 2 get loud after a while.

CMNTMXR57 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1999 Chevrolet Suburban LT 4x4

The Hankook's mentioned above, as well as the Continental Extreme DWS's are the top two performing tires for this car based on analysis done from the TireRack's website. Even when looking at mixed sets of tires (opening up more possible tire options), these two tires still out performed others. Best part is, the Hankook's are the cheapest, with all 4 coming in at $686 (Tire Rack) and the Continental's the third cheapest at $802 (Tire Rack). The problem though... the Hankook's are a Maximum Performance Summer tire, whereas the Continental Extreme DWS's are an Ultra High Performance All Season tire. This is kinda an important factor when chosing a tire. If you're in Florida, maybe not so much the case, but up here in Chicago, VERY IMPORTANT! Unless you have two sets of wheels you can shod with rubber.

The Pirelli PZero Nero's, when looking at the Ultra High Performance All Season category of tires, came in second to last, and was notably below their peers in the sub-categories of ride, comfort, and wear portions of the rankings. That doesn't mean it's a bad tire. This group of tires is a very tightly ranked group, the best is an 8.6 and the worst is a 7.9. It's not like there are some 5's or 6's here.

Ultra High Performance A/S overall ratings;

1) Continental Extreme Contact DWS: 8.6
    2) Bridgestone Potenza RE960 A/S Pole Position: 8.2 tie
    3) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus: 8.2 tie (this is what I have)
    4) Pirelli Pzero Nero A/S: 8.0
    5) Yokohama Advan S.4: 7.9

The only reason I haven't jumped on the Continental's is because I find them absurdly UGLY! Just some points from a wasted morning of doing an analysis on tires for this car.

kehock is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 cts-v

it happens to all of us sooner or later -- replacing our tires. i got 21k out of my oem rear tires and have a decent amount of tread (probably 5k+) remaining on the fronts. like everyone else, the rears are bald in the center (started keeping the psi at 28 in the rears about 8k miles ago which helped). those of you who switched to non run flats -- did you find a spare or are you just going without?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.