Tires - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Tires in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by kehock -- did you find a spare or are you just going without? Which tire size are ...
    bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Re: Tires

Quote Originally Posted by kehock View Post
    -- did you find a spare or are you just going without?
    Which tire size are you going to use? Can't run a spare with staggered rims. (This topic has been done to death).

The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I've done tireless research on tires for this car, and i've come to the conclusion that, for all season tires, it's either Continental ExtremeContact DWS, or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. The Continentals actually seem to rate just a hair BETTER than the Michelins, and seeing as the set is $300 cheaper, that makes my decision easy. My wifes CTS sport has 245/45/18 DWS's and they have been phenomenal. The noise level is virtually unnoticeable, and they give the car a ride that befits the name Cadillac. There has been no loss of performance (straight line or cornering) that I can discern as compared to the Potenza RE050s that the car came with. Granted this is a 255hp V6 which is a tad different than a 469hp supercharged V8. I'm sure I will notice a difference in grip on the V.

Now I don't know quite as much about the Max Performance Summer category, as I was looking for all-seasons, but it seems, from what I saw, that the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo, and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 are the two best summer tires for this car. Given the price difference, the choice seems easy there too.

Michelin makes some great tires, but their prices are just insane. Especially when competitors are making as good, and in some cases better tires.

GoofyGuy is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

I installed the new DWS 55K mile tires 2 weeks ago. So far its a great wet tire, great dry tire. Although you cant do much about the torque we have. Tire has some noise but its faint and you have to be moving at a pretty good rate.

My choices were either the Pilots of the DWS tires. I save the $400 bucks, got a better tire wear rating, and from what Im seeing from owners of the PS2's I have a quieter tire.

bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I had the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my wife's car for only 2 years, and the rears were GONE (down to the treadbars). Fronts were still fine. DWS was not available then. Put the DWS's on this winter and a huge difference in traction in the snow and wet. Pretty quiet as far as I can tell, seeing as how you can't hear anything inside the S65 with all that padding! Seriously considering them for my V next winter (I have 2 sets of tires for my V, only 1 for the S65).

Going on 4th winter with the Advan S4s on my V, but I think I am king of pushing it this winter. Having lots of fun fishtailing around corners!!

Bob

joex1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I got my V two months ago, I'm in Buffalo, and the first thing I did was pick up the Continental DWS's. They have been a pleasant surprise as they make the car infinitely more manageable in the snow. If you are doing any snow driving with your V i HIGHLY recommend the Continentals. The only other tire that compared for winter use from my research is the straight-out-snow Blizzaks.

jedhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

My DWS lasted 12K miles in the rear. However Discount Tires was honored the wearout warranty although I could not rotate the tires. My argument was that if I was able to rotate the tires from front to rear, I would still only get 24K miles. They gave me 65% off for the replacement tires.

Bob

PNBLWZD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS-V Black Diamond Sedan, 09 CTS-V (sold), STS-V (sold)

I just had to replace my set of Conti DWS today, because I got a puncture/flat on one of the rears that was non repairable and that size is on national back order from Conti with no ETA. Went to Discount Tires where they were purchased and was able to work an exchange for a set of Conti DW, because I didn't want a mismatched tire and I've been thinking about taking off the DWS for a while (good timing). Unless you need it for snow (I'm in CA and don't), the DWS is too hard of a tire for the STSV in my opinion. With a UTQG treadwear rating of 550 it will last forever, but mine were always "chirpy" around corners during regular driving and breaking loose too easily with only 8k miles. The Conti DW rates higher on tirerack.com than the DWS (8.9 vs 8.5), and has a little softer rubber with a 340 UTQG rating instead of DWS's 550 - which means it is not so soft that it will wear out instantly and not so hard it won't stick - not to mention the DW tread looks much better than the DWS tread (and is readily avaialble).

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....V&autoModClar=

Right off the bat I could tell the DW seems smoother and quiter, but I can't do much aggressive driving for a couple hundred miles to see how they stick. More feedback in a week or two...

jedhead is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I ran into an availability problem with the DWS too. I switched over to Hankook V12. The tires have stiffer sidewalls so the turn in is much better and the rear of the car does not squirm as much under power. They seem to be equal with the DWS in the rain and much better in the dry. I think the rears will be gone by the next oil change though.

Bob

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

I am going on close to a year on the Hankooks and still am very happy with them. I have driven though the Kansas City winter with them and we got a lot of heavy snows here. I just put 240lbs of sand in the trunk and she worked like a champ.

cadillac94pimpin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham,06 STS-V Black/Tango, 06 Hayabusa LE

Yeah my hankooks are done after 10k. The back right is beyond the wear bar. The front tires are badly worn on the inside and outside and the outside passenger has cords coming through. They were an amazing tire at first
    but they are done. I always kept the tire pressure correct but maybe it was too low for the Hankooks.
    I do take a lot if sharp turns cause the car can handle it. Now at 10k the car shakes at high speed like at 100+
    when they were new FLAWLESS up to 160.

I think I may go with a tire that has a warranty next time. Thinking about Mich A/S Sport plus. I think is what there called. I dont think hankook has a warranty.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.