Driverside mirror, auto-tinting, does it work?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Driverside mirror, auto-tinting, does it work? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; As of two months ago, I am a newly prowd owner of a 2008 STS-V.(THUNDER Grey with black and light ...
    rubber2burn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 sts-v

Driverside mirror, auto-tinting, does it work?

As of two months ago, I am a newly prowd owner of a 2008 STS-V.(THUNDER Grey with black and light interior w/20,000 miles) I can say I have always, ALLWAYS! loved the look of this car, it is so satisfing to be able to go out to the garage and see it sitting there waiting to be driven. What a joy to drive this car other than just wishing and waiting for the day one of these buitifull cars would be in my stable.

I of coarse have several small issues. Can any of you other STS-V owners tell me if your drivers side mirror auto tints compleatly or not? The passenger side compleatly auto darkens why would'nt the drivers side?

I brought my car to the stealer several weeks back to have a few minior problems looked at and the mirror was one of them. There is a 1/4" area arround the outside of the mirror that does not tint! This is especially annoying if I let someone pass me. I get the full flash of their lights as they pass the inside then the out side edge of my mirror. The tech. that looked at the car said he had never seen anything like it and he had no other cars to compair it to. He said he would order a new one and compare the one he recieved. The service writer told me he had to "special order" that mirror and of coarse it would be there in a week.

So a week turned into 3. and today was the day that it arrived. Service writer said come on in and we will put it on for you, I said how about 1:00 he said that would work great. 1:00 rolls arround, I drop the car off and proceeded to wait in the waiting room for about an hour. The tech comes up to me and says that the new mirror that they got looks just like the one on the car. (has a 1/4" ring arround the outside that has a different appearance than the middle of the mirror) and if I want to have him install it and it does'nt solve the problem, that I would have to buy the mirror, because he would probable break the one on the car trying to get it off. Any feedback?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

Re: Driverside mirror, auto-tinting, does it work?

I know my rearview autodims, never heard of the side mirrors auto dimming.

F

fast_lane10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS - V

My driver side mirror auto dims and i believe the full mirror dims, i will have to check but I am surprised that your passenger side mirror auto dims too because as per service manual (2006) the passenger side mirror should not dim and that's what i was told by the dealer when i asked..

I must correct my previous post, at second glance there is definatly a tint to the passenger side view mirror and it probably does'nt auto darken. definatly not just a streight out piece of glass. I would say that it has a green tint to it, just like the center portion of the drivers side. But the drivers side definatly auto darkens (except for the outer 1/4") Is that similar to other 2008 models??

Come on people, I cant be the only one on this board with the same issue with the driverside mirror, am I? The dealer will be shipping the replacement back to GM if I dont claim it soon, so I am still looking for some feedback if anyone else has this issue with their 08 or 09 STS-V? I have attached some picure's of the drivers and passengers side mirrors. the drivers side has a 1/4" area arround the perimiter that does not darken, you can see this area in the picture. The replacement mirror the dealer showed me also has this 1/4" area with the same appearance. I dont want to have them replace it if it will not solve my issue. The picture of the passenger side mirror has a small line arround 1/4" of the perimeter of the mirror that has the same appearance as the middle of the mirror.
    J
    Attached Images

pj96ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS V

My driver side is the same as yours. Never really thought too much about it.

P.J.

Thanks P.J.,
    That was what I was looking for. Just some confirmation to know I wasnt compleatly off my rocker. Out of all of the other vehicals (Buick's, Poniac's) I have had with auto darkening mirrors, the drivers side mirror would compleatly darken. I just thought it was annoying when someone would ride up allong side of me and I would have to look at their lights full on through those little sections of the mirror.
    J

stephenstay is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade, 2007 STS-V

Driver's side darkens. Passenger does not. I haven't noticed a ring around my driver's mirror when it darkens but I will pay attention this evening. Dealer has replaced my driver's mirror ( the whole thing ) because it started to vibrate when driving.

I carefully observed the driver's mirror last night while I was driving and the mirror darkened across the whole mirror. There were no patchy spots.

fast_lane10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS - V

the whole mirror dims on my car too.. i guess the above mentioned happens in 2008 model year onwards

stefenstay and fastlane, does your mirror look the same as mine in the posted pictures? That is, does your mirror have that 1/4" outline arround the outside of the mirror and have a slightly different apperance?

Quote Originally Posted by rubber2burn View Post
    stefenstay and fastlane, does your mirror look the same as mine in the posted pictures? That is, does your mirror have that 1/4" outline arround the outside of the mirror and have a slightly different apperance?
    No sir, it does not have that 1/4" outline as your picture shows.

slk230mb is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): Now: 2008 STS-V, 1960 Eldorado Brougham Then: 2002 Escalade

I have the ring that's not tinted around my drivers side mirror as well. Never thought anything of it.
    ~Steve

Well then, the way I have it figured is the mirrors in 08 and 09 have the blind zone warning in them and the system that detects objects in your blind zone must also be in the mirror and cannot operate through the part that actually auto darkens.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.