D3 lowering springs before/after with pictures installed Beware! Read before purchase
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, D3 lowering springs before/after with pictures installed Beware! Read before purchase in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Hello All - With the help of PGA, PJ, and our good friend Russell, I was able to get my ...
    550HP STSV is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Heavily Modified STS-V

D3 lowering springs before/after with pictures installed Beware! Read before purchase

Hello All -

With the help of PGA, PJ, and our good friend Russell, I was able to get my lowering springs installed prior to my trip to woodward dream cruise in michigan this past weekend.

I'd like to thank russell for allowing me to use his spacers until D3 sends me mine, and PJ for coming into cleveland to give them to me so I could get them installed in time. This is a very close knit, tight community and I am proud to be a member with my fellow STS-V owners.

Lets get to the good stuff:

The springs were easy enough to install. The rears fall out when the control arms are detached, and the front come off with a spring or strut compressor. I had two mechanic friends over, and it took about 3 hours. Pictures are attached with their respective file names.

Heres the bad stuff:

The car is way out of aligment. After taking it to a normal aligntment shop, and then a performance shop that does corvettes, my camber is still almost 2 degrees out of alignment. The shops say I need caster/camber adjustment plates - which they do not make for the STS. I have bought camber adjustment bolts, but they only adjust up to 1.25 degrees. Anyone have any ideas? I called D3, and they said they just get it "as close as they can" which is pretty unacceptable from how hard my steering wheel pulls to the left on the highway.

My recommendation? Do not buy them until someone can figure out how to properly align these cars. if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Re: D3 lowering springs before/after with pictures installed Beware! Read before purc

How is the ride quality?

coach123 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS-V & CTS-V

Re: D3 lowering springs before/after with pictures installed Beware! Read before purc

Not to get off topic but I really like your rims. I miss my black w/ cream interior 2005 CTS-V. I had the 20" foose wheels with all the works done to the car. It got people's attention everywhere I went. It didn't hurt I had a nice cam in it to give it a little shake

Ride quality is better. Less floating, more in-tune with the road. Can feel better feedback like with the ZF steering system.

I also love the wheels. They make the car a real show stopper. I just took 2nd place at a car show here in cleveland.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by 550HP STSV View Post
    I just took 2nd place at a car show here in cleveland.
    Congrats. The car is looking good.

chrisngo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V Stealth Grey

Car looks good. What are the wheel specs? I plan on doing 19x9.5/19x11 about a 30 offset. I need to make sure I won't have more than a one finger gap in the rear.

My car does not pull at all after being lowered. I did not align it and it drives excellent. A little bouncy for my tastes, but all in all a good buy.

Chris

cad08stsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 03 STS, 08 STS V

There were some specs put out a few months back. Have had a look at that? Hers is the URL for that http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...r-aligned.html I hope it helps. other wise you might to a varision of these spec. At least it is a start. If you have other tires to experiment with
    that would also be helpful. Let us know how things work out
    Russell

I am using 20x9.5 in the front and 20x10.5 in the rear. I have wheels that are +35 offset.

Thanks for the link and phone call Russell. I will check it out.

Today the car is going to a custom hot rod shop to see what they can do. I will keep everyone informed.

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

Don't know what's going on with your suspension but mine is perfect with the springs. There are about 5 of us with the springs and you are the first to have a problem. I got my alignment done by my local tire shop and they are right in spec. As is the other 4 peoples alignment

Redxped1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 sts-v 04 cts-v

same here no issues

Custom shop said I ordered the wrong bolts - the ones I got bolted to the bottom of the strut, which we do not have. They said they might have to shift the points in the frame and custom make it - I dont want to do that.

The dodge dealership that did my lowered Viper said they did not want to try a Cadillac. Next tuesday its scheudled to go to Central Cadillac in Cleveland. They have a 4 wheel alignment lift - we'll see what happens. I dont get why I'm the only person having these issues with these springs. This will be the 5th shop that is going to try to align my V so it doesnt pull so hard to the left.

PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

I am guessing it has never been in an accident?

Lowering Springs should not have made it pull......

I have never heard of that.

No... never an accicdent.

cad08stsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 03 STS, 08 STS V

So Tueday will be Center Cadillac's turn? They should have all the right parts to at least make it stock. I wonder if they will have an issue with the lowering springs and busings. They will be using a ram lift to set up the alignemt specs.
    I think I read that the "All Data" DVD systems now included a setting for the STSV as opposed to the Standard STS. I am sure that Centeal Catillac will have that information. If it applies to the Lowered cars, I would guess that is an entirely
    different set of perimeters. it is up to the dealer to see if they want to deal with this issue at all. I sure hope they do. I think we all will be interested in how they see this and how they handle it. Please let us know (Dealer wise)
    Dan and his friends have said they have not had any issues at all. Dan if you are reading this, could you telll us where you had your alignment done, as well as your firends. Looking for to your outcome. Thanks for your attention to this
    matter. I think it is important.
    Russell

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

I had mine done at Butler Tire in Alpharetta GA. Its a standard tire center. They used the stock STS settings as that is what was in their machine for our cars. On my thirs set of tires since the springs went on 50k ago. I am now at 85k and this set of tires is wearing perfect.

He mentioned something about ordering the wrong bolts? mine used all the stock suspension and parts. I didn't even unbolt anything in the rear. just used the spring compressors to get the stock springs out. the new springs didn't even need to be compressed to get back in. With the car jacked up and the wheels off gave me enough clearence.

Fronts had to be compressed then unbolt the lower controll arm/strut bolt then undoo the 4 upper bolts. the whole strut dropped out the bottom. went on in the reverse sequence. kind of a fight to get the bottom strut bolted to the controll arm but a 2x4 got the the last mm i needed to thread the bolt all the way through.

Then drove the car to the shop for tires and an alignment. the only thing that was out was camber. mostly in the rear. but even then it was only at -1.5

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.