D3 lowering springs before/after with pictures installed Beware! Read before purchase - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, D3 lowering springs before/after with pictures installed Beware! Read before purchase in Cadillac V-Series Forums; PS I think I need to note most if not all of us are riding on stock rims and tire ...
    LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

Re: D3 lowering springs before/after with pictures installed Beware! Read before purc

PS I think I need to note most if not all of us are riding on stock rims and tire sizes. maybe its the larger rims that is throwing it off. just a thought

Re: D3 lowering springs before/after with pictures installed Beware! Read before purc

ZF steering????

Did you install aftermarket parts? IF so that is definately the problem. not the springs

550HP STSV is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Heavily Modified STS-V

Did you have factory wheels?

Yup. I think we all do. But d3's had 20's on it I think.

Alright everyone: here is what I have found.

After going to 3 alignment shops (enger wheel, goodyear tire, and one other shop,) and 3 CUSTOM alignment shops (xtreme performance, Chucks customs, Columbia Sunoco there is no way to get a proper alignment with the D3 springs and 20" wheels. What is posted here, is a collective effort of the above mentioned shops, days or research, tons of trial and error, and many different tire sizes:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The shops had tried everything - adjusting the shocks/struts/mounting locations with shims, washers, braces, etc. They had tried the caster/camber "alignment nuts" from summit racing, among other places (which turns out, cannot be used on our car.) I had used tired and true basic 4 wheel alignment machines all the way up to $100,000 Hawkeye laser alignment machines. What is posted above is as close to an alignment as you will get without drilling holes in the frame and moving the suspension components to compensate for the drop, which I am not willing to do.

Many of you have mentioned you got a proper alignment on factory wheels and the D3 drop kit. I believe you, but its hard to comprehend when my 20" wheel total diameter size is within a tenth of an inch of my factory wheels total diameter size.

The point of the story is that right now there is no caster/camber solution to correct for the drop, so if you get the drop springs, be prepared to replace your tires much more quickly. And say goodbye to the perfect smooth cadillac ride on the street and highway.

I now have over $1500 into trying a proper alignment in my car after the drop springs. Be sure to consider this information before installing them, or buying them. I like the improved appearance look of my car over the harsh ride, and non-straight alignment, so I will keep them. But you may feel differently.

MiamiV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): stsV

mines lowered and with spacers on stock wheels. rides great and wears the tires just fine

youknooow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V 1 OF 3 BLK ICE & TANGO RED

I just purchased a 09 STS-V, I plan to purchase 20" rims and lower the vehicle.

Did you lower the car and install the rims at the same time, or which were installed 1st?

I told D3 my plans and they advised that lowering the vehicle and installing 20" inch rims is done all the time with no problems...?

Any updates?

MiamiV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): stsV

Car looks great. Mine is lowered on the spacers too and no problems at all. I love the way it handles and drives like a dream.

Still nothing - I put the 20s on and then dropped it. To this date, there is no "correct" alignment for a droppedSTS-V on 20s.

meekna is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

A question on your red calipers, are they painted that color, or a cover. Are they still factory calipers?

factory calipers painted 30th anniversary Cobra Red

johnb21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

mine work just fine. I had asked the shop to pull as much camber as they could. I am somewhere near -2 degrees....just where I want it. The car is such a pig, the extra camber does wonders.
    I wouldn't trade my D3 springs for nothing aside a set of coilovers. :0

cad08stsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 03 STS, 08 STS V

Quote Originally Posted by 550HP STSV View Post
    factory calipers painted 30th anniversary Cobra Red
    Where do you get the V Logo after you paint the calipers Cobra Red?

kbf250 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V

Hey Russell,
    Follow this link for caliper decals.

http://8thdaycreations.com/products-...aliper-decals/

Kirk

fast_lane10 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS - V

I was also thinking of getting the springs but then i heard that this can adversely affect the shocks. Can someone shine some light on why and how the shocks can be affected or not.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.