Cadillac Owners Forum banner

D3 sts-v headers how much?

24K views 84 replies 21 participants last post by  Rboughne1 
#1 ·
Does annyone know how much the d3 headers are for the sts-v because i see them for the xlr-v but no price for the sts-v. I hope their the same price as the xlr-v headers.

#2 ·
Psycho,
Several of us, former member and present member have asked that same question on this forum and on the phone. To date we have received replys
of several different prices ranging from 1500 to 2500 to no we don't have a
large enough requests for us to look into it cost wise.
Sir you are wisling in the wind for this to happen from them. CTS V is another
story. As you so apply put it they are not really interested in The STS V any longer. They say they do. but I have asked about some of the other parts being
offered on the CTS V catalog and well we have not done anything for the STS V
in that area as yet. I think that means ................
Later Russell

#4 ·
I know 5 guys that might be in.

#7 ·
:thumbsup:

You were part of the 5 I was thinking about........

#9 ·
And you were on my list of 5 also.......

#12 ·
You were on my list too..... I was responding Psycho to the idea of Kooks making them for us. I would bet they may be the best option for price.

#13 ·
Did Kooks give you a price for the group buy? I contacted them about 4 months ago for the same thing but they just insisted to sell me one off headers for too much cash. I am up for anyone making them, I just want to ensure that fitment is perfect since its a PITA to remove them. I think Russell will be able to find out how much restriction they pose to us very soon. This flow or pressure difference is what I have been waiting on before I make the leap to headers. I want to make sure that the $/hp justifies the cost.

#14 ·
As I told coach, I can do these if we get 5 guys to buy. Specs would be: 1 3/4 stainless 16g american tubing, Mild head flanges (or stainless for an extra $80), no cat. Cost would be $900/set. They would be a direct bolt in for the stock manifold/cat. I can add high flow cats for whatever they cost. I work in a fabrication shop building headers and other performance parts. I have built headers from scratch before. and I'm good at it.

#15 ·
TimmyC,

Its good to hear from you. I think you are going to be the cheapest anyone can find for the headers. I believe Russell will have an answer on what the flow numbers are on the stock exhaust manifold within a week or two. Once we determine either the flow number or the pressure differential we should be able to get a rough idea of the gains to be had by the headers. I am waiting anxiously on these numbers as it will calm my concerns with the hp gains to be made. Obviously, higher boosted cars should gain more power than the stock cars :thumbsup:

On another note when I talked to kooks months ago they said they would need min 10-12 for a group buy so that would be pretty hard to get on this forum. I think TimmyC group requirement of 5 is much more doable.

#19 ·
I would think we could get some Carsound (Magnaflow) hi-flo cats and make the headers shorties so we could bolt on the cats.

#20 ·
I think everyone has valid points about the cats and the headers being coated but that will probably drive the cost up at or around $1800-2000 for the headers. Remember you can coat the headers yourself, I ran with Kooks uncoated headers on my CTS-V without a problem for years. Having a flange for the cats would be the best option even if the existing exhaust pipe needed to be fitted for the aftermarket pieces. Cats go bad so if your headers have built in cats and they go bad you are stuck buying a new set of headers. Let's try to keep the cost reasonable so more members will opt to buy them.

#21 ·
I don't think there is such a thing as less expensive headers, especially for a high-end limited production car. I want the whole enchilada, if I'm going to the trouble of putting headers on this car. They have to be a first class unit, coated, and a dead-on fit, for me to be interested.

I've been drag racing and hot rodding cars for over thirty years; there are good headers, and there are headers from hell. I want good ones. JMO

#22 ·
Well I think you are referring to quality of the headers themselves which I agree they must be top notch quality. No one wants warped flanges or poor welds that crack over time. A set of headers is something I only want to change once. As far as coating requirements I guess thats your choice. A lot of specialty coating shops around that you could use after you receive your headers though. Once again the as far as the cats are concerned I think that PGA2B hit the nail on the head when he spoke about creating a flanged header for fitment to an off the shelf high flow cat.

#24 ·
If people want to go ahead with this I can do stainless head flanges as an option so not everyone has to do it. The mild flanges will never be a problem but stainless ones are easy to get. I can look into doing flanges for the cats too. That would add about $75 I think. The cats I'm thinking of using are these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-59956/. We've tested the 3" version on a car making 400+ hp to the tires and we found a one horsepower loss. That was with one 3" cat like this. Two 2.5" units should be fine here.

Coating is unnecessary when using good tubing like this. 16g 304SS will not rot within the car's lifetime. I do not plan to offer these coated.

Pricing looks like this right now:

Standard: Mild head flanges, stainless tubing, no cats, stainless exit flanges, $900
Add stainless head flanges: $90
Add removable cats and "test pipes" to replace them: $350
Add removable straight sections but no cats: $75

Let me know if I missed any options people want.

#26 ·
I'm not concerned with the headers rotting, I'm concerned with underhood heat. These cars produce a bunch of it. I've got coated stainless headers on my Impala, and you can put your hand on them, just a few minutes after a pass, and not get burned.

I plan to keep this car a long time. IMHO, you put uncoated headers on one, and you do keep the car for any length of time, you will be wishing they had been coated. Especially if it's a DD. Lots of stuff can burn under the hood of one these babies.

Still, I'd like to see them made, and on somebody's car.

#27 ·
Once they were made you could send them to Jet Hot or someone like that to get the ceramic or any type of heat coating done.

#30 ·
I see your point about under hood temps, I had not thought about that feature of the coating.. I don't think most people will want these coated so I am not going to pursue that. Like some other guys said, it's easy to get them coated once you receive them.

The cost for headers the way you want them is $1340

Here are a couple pics of a set of headers I built for my LS1 swapped 71 Corvette.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2r6fdar.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/vdfw5w.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2sbjzu9.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/opo75i.jpg

There is no room for long tube headers like these on the STS-V but it shows what I can do. The V headers will be a shorty design.

I built the intake on that motor too.

I'll post some close ups of my stainless welds next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.