Got the dreaded "Shift to Park" this morning
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Got the dreaded "Shift to Park" this morning in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I pulled out of the garage and whet to drive and it shifted to drive weird and set a SES ...
  1. #1
    PGA2B's Avatar
    PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    2,520

    Got the dreaded "Shift to Park" this morning

    I pulled out of the garage and whet to drive and it shifted to drive weird and set a SES light and would not shift out of 3rd no matter what I did. I could go through the gears in manual but it would not shift even thought the dash changed. Shut it off and guess what.... You guessed it:"Shift to Park" was on the dash display even though it showed to be in "P". Drive straight to the dealership and they have her. I told them to pull the codes before the battery died to make sure they didn't reset when the power ran out. So we'll see. I told my Service Advisor to have the battery replaced and check the gear selector sensor in the shifter and if that was not it to check the position sensor in the tranny (Thanks Bob-sts-v). The big problem is that they do not have any loaners because they were backed up til July 7th for service.

    Question for Dan or anyone else that know about TSBs:

    Does the TSB 03-07-043A have anything to do with this?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    PGA2B's Avatar
    PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    2,520

    Re: Got the dreaded "Shift to Park" this morning

    Dealership called and Neutral Safety switch (Shift Position switch) went bad. So I hope it will not come back like Bob's did.

  4. #3
    LITTLEELVISDAN's Avatar
    LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Got the dreaded "Shift to Park" this morning

    Mine did that and it was the same thing. Never came back after they replaced it

  5. #4
    Memphis-V's Avatar
    Memphis-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1

    Re: Got the dreaded "Shift to Park" this morning

    I also just received the dreaded message!!!

    Hey can you tell me how many miles your car had when the shifter problem occurred and or the cost to repair?

  6. #5
    CIWS's Avatar
    CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    D/FW Tejas
    Posts
    25,388

    Re: Got the dreaded "Shift to Park" this morning

    Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    Dealership called and Neutral Safety switch (Shift Position switch) went bad. So I hope it will not come back like Bob's did.
    Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEELVISDAN View Post
    Mine did that and it was the same thing. Never came back after they replaced it

    What sucks is I got the same thing while I was out of town. I pulled the battery for about 15-20 min while I ate lunch and then when I hooked it back up the car was back to normal. That's been one year ago this month and it hasn't happened again.


    A ghost in the machine

  7. #6
    saulnierpr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS-V
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    5

    Re: Got the dreaded "Shift to Park" this morning

    Happened to me after a carwash. Battery disconnect solved it no problem. Probably just some water in an amphenol or something.

  8. #7
    CIWS's Avatar
    CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    D/FW Tejas
    Posts
    25,388

    Re: Got the dreaded "Shift to Park" this morning

    I sure would be interested to know the codes the computer throws and what it thinks is wrong.

  9. #8
    PGA2B's Avatar
    PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    2,520

    Re: Got the dreaded "Shift to Park" this morning

    No codes and I had about 42K on mine. They replaced the switch and it had been fine since.

  10. #9
    CIWS's Avatar
    CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    D/FW Tejas
    Posts
    25,388

    Re: Got the dreaded "Shift to Park" this morning

    Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    No codes and I had about 42K on mine. They replaced the switch and it had been fine since.
    You didn't throw a CEL when it happened ? Mine did, it was just one of those inopportune times when I had my scan tool with me out of town, but it was back in the hotel when I went out to lunch that day. Since I pulled the battery I lost the codes.

  11. #10
    PGA2B's Avatar
    PGA2B is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    2,520

    Re: Got the dreaded "Shift to Park" this morning

    No codes. The tranny shifted weird when I pulled out of the garage and when I went to Drive there was a CLUNK. SO I went to shut it off and I got the message and drove straight to the dealer as I was on my way to work that morning.

  12. #11
    CIWS's Avatar
    CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    D/FW Tejas
    Posts
    25,388

    Re: Got the dreaded "Shift to Park" this morning

    Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    No codes. The tranny shifted weird when I pulled out of the garage and when I went to Drive there was a CLUNK. SO I went to shut it off and I got the message and drove straight to the dealer as I was on my way to work that morning.

    Ok cool, Mine did pretty much the same thing, but generated a CEL. Really curious what it thought was going on.

  13. #12
    Tinmanx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    46

    Re: Got the dreaded "Shift to Park" this morning

    Was pulling through a parking lot today. After coming to a stop, then proceeding, I noticed what felt like the transmission slipping. Pulled into a parking spot, and hit the Onstar button to do a remote diagnosis. They said there were two codes. One was a generic code produced by the power train computer to light the dash light. The other signaled a problem with the gear selector position sensor. I noticed that the usual gear position indicator was missing from the display. I turned the car off and got the Shift To Park warning even though it was in park. I started it back up and it no longer felt like it was slipping, but I kept getting the Shift To Park warning. I drove home and got out the laptop. When I started the car again, the servce engine light was out, but I kept getting the Shift to Park message. I read the codes. It had stored P0700 and P1825. I cleared the codes in hope of getting rid of the Shift To Park message, but no luck. Pulled the battery terminal for a while. (please remember to leave a door open if you do this) After I reconnected it, I went back in to the car and saw the Shift To Park message. I started it up, turned it off, then bingo, no more shift to park message! Went for a drive no more message.

  14. #13
    jwall09 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    378

    Re: Got the dreaded "Shift to Park" this morning

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinmanx View Post
    Was pulling through a parking lot today. After coming to a stop, then proceeding, I noticed what felt like the transmission slipping. Pulled into a parking spot, and hit the Onstar button to do a remote diagnosis. They said there were two codes. One was a generic code produced by the power train computer to light the dash light. The other signaled a problem with the gear selector position sensor. I noticed that the usual gear position indicator was missing from the display. I turned the car off and got the Shift To Park warning even though it was in park. I started it back up and it no longer felt like it was slipping, but I kept getting the Shift To Park warning. I drove home and got out the laptop. When I started the car again, the servce engine light was out, but I kept getting the Shift to Park message. I read the codes. It had stored P0700 and P1825. I cleared the codes in hope of getting rid of the Shift To Park message, but no luck. Pulled the battery terminal for a while. (please remember to leave a door open if you do this) After I reconnected it, I went back in to the car and saw the Shift To Park message. I started it up, turned it off, then bingo, no more shift to park message! Went for a drive no more message.

    i get this issue every 30-60 days now. There is something failing on the car that we need to get replaced. Im taking my to the dealer because the other day it did it when i stopped at a red light... it was stuck in like 3rd gear and kept giving me shift to park. The way i get around it is upload a tune to overwrite it and it will work fine for a month or two. I just dont want something bad to happen to the trans and it drives me crazy too.

  15. #14
    Tinmanx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    46

    Re: Got the dreaded "Shift to Park" this morning

    It scared me the way the transmission felt when it happened. I already made an appointment to get the neutral safety switch replaced. Hopefully it doesn't give me anymore problems before then.

  16. #15
    CIWS's Avatar
    CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    D/FW Tejas
    Posts
    25,388

    Re: Got the dreaded "Shift to Park" this morning

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinmanx View Post
    It scared me the way the transmission felt when it happened. I already made an appointment to get the neutral safety switch replaced. Hopefully it doesn't give me anymore problems before then.
    Can you find out if they are pulling the battery when they replace the switch ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting