Cadillac Owners Forum banner
55K views 184 replies 35 participants last post by  Chuck77083 
#1 ·
Guys... I am currently talking to a fabricator of a product that chills our intercooler fluid. It is a flat plate heat exchanger that ties into the A/C system and our intercooler system to provide the lowest possible drop in IAT's. This modification would give you much lower temperatures than any upgraded heat exchanger.

If we agree to move forward on this and I can setup a time to travel to his shop we will have a complete plug and play "activechiller". Plug and play = no cutting lines or changing anything. He has installed this on a maggie GTOP with intercooler fluid temps typically at 40-50F during heavy drives with multiple WOT's. I am hoping we can get this thing made specifically for our cars with an instruction guide w/ pics. The goal is to have a simple plug and play so anyone can install.

Let me know if anyone is interested. If we decrease our IAT's enough then the ECM will start adding timing which means additional hp. The cooler we keep the air the more sustained our hp and tq are during heavy driving. I will keep everyone posted on the progress of this mod.

#103 ·
PM me with exactally what measurement you need. Jay emailed me and I was going to measure but was confused as to what you wanted. I will measure it and email or PM you with it today.

#105 · (Edited)
PM Replied Dave.

P.S. It sits right under the wiper motor and assembly and I could not get a picture of the caliper on the fitting.

#111 · (Edited)
When are you in?

Dave- Did the measurements and pics help you at all?
Well measurements looked same as C6 which is what I expected and hoped for. So CNC work is done for all V series cars! I don’t know if you take really bad pics or what, looked way more cramped than the NA STS I looked at LOL. Thanks!

Seriously I should be able to run my aluminum return line from chiller to near fire wall so it will look factory or not even get noticed. Like the Camaro5

#110 ·
Dave- Did the measurements and pics help you at all?

#112 ·
It is pretty cramped but the pics did not come out as good as they could have. It was hard to get a good shot. Sorry bout that!

Question I have is do you need to run the A/C all the time inside the car?

#113 ·
Competition version allows you to run AC and Chiller then flip hidden micro switch to turn off Freon to cabin. A led comes on to designate cabin off and air out vent is ambient. This is so water won’t drip on track. Other than that if you don’t turn on AC chiller is not on and you default to front heat exchanger. Anytime AC compressor is on diverter valve bypasses front heat exchanger.

#119 ·
1. YES you can Dave. The PID's you need are Under Engine> General> Intake Air Temp (SAE) (F) PID.15 and also Intake Air Temp 2 (F) PID.2128. I emailed you my HPT Config to make it easier. You can thank the STS-V crowd for that (BMBSALES and BLADES). Before us they use to have to use Manifold Air Temp which is not a true IAT2 after the blower.

2. The Tranny we have is a 6L80E and she takes Dex VI.

P.S. We have a fill cap on the passenger side of our ICW system.

#121 · (Edited)
We have an overflow tank on the 06 and 07. I understand the 08-09 do not have this. We also have a fill tube back by the passenger firewall.

#125 ·
You want a picture of washer tank? You didn’t buy Snow kit for washer tank you bought one with tank so there is no washer tank adapter. I was thinking of using port for headlight pump. You really planning on spraying plastic headlights with Methanol? You think we can schedule some Dyno time when you pick up car to test results? PGA2Bsent me some great HPT files to log IAT 1 and 2 as well as boost then we have the digital ICWT display. I don’t think the HPT setup for logging ICWT will be ready by then.

#126 ·
O.K. Now I understand. Disconnect the headlight pump, remove the lines to the headlight washer nozzles and go for it! As a matter of fact, you can snap out the headlight washer nozzles from the bumper as well (I'll cover the holes later). A bulkhead fitting (PN# 40080) allows the use of the factory washer fluid tank as a reservoir. And yes, I will have time to dyno - planning to spend a week down there before coming home.

Can the Snow tank be added to existing one?

Don't forget to drain and flush the washer fluid tank. -20 degree F rated, blue windshield washer fluid is acceptable for use and is available at most service stations. Although some fluids rated to under -20 degrees F contain glycol and other copolymers, most windshield washer fluids are up to 40% methanol. Try to find one that displays "contains methanol" on the label and is good to -20 degrees F, with no additives or special ingredients and is blue in color. You can “spike” the Blue -20 Washer fluid to a 50% mixture by adding 3 12OZ yellow bottles of Heet® gas-line-antifreeze to every gallon of washer fluid.

#127 ·
This is y my meth tank is in the truck and is 4gal. You will go trough a 4gal tank in 2weeks of normal driving. With the snakebite set up. I'm meth starts spraying at 7psi and full spray at 11psi. I run 90% meth during the summer and -20 washer fluid from Walmart durning the winter. You will need a bigger tank/you will want a bigger tank.

#131 · (Edited)
Wow I would hate to use 8 gal a month! I buy actual Metanol by 5gal use it 50/50 with distilled water on my GTO we don’t see winter washer fluid in Fl. I use former radiator over flow tank it’s larger than our washer tank. I know this is no comparison with Snake Bite stage 5.
Giz has nothing now that’s why I say I bet he has 100hp on table.
I bet with this chiller setup you could significantly reduce that ediction! I hope to get some good logs on Dyno to back this up!
This setup is looking better than I ever imagined, with trans cooler moved there is more than enough room for over size chiller. Only thing I wish I had time to make a under hood reservoir / fill tank. There is plenty room for a gal with a custom tank, this would be a significant help IMHO.

#132 ·
I have a larger frount mount heat exchanger that holds a little over 1gal plus the stock one so I'm at 1.4gal total with hoses. I run meth it was good for 30-40* drop. I still can not get over 480rwhp. It's the cams IMO. I can keep the iat2 down to only 20-40 above ambient on a dyno run.

#133 · (Edited)
I have a larger front mount heat exchanger that holds a little over 1gal plus the stock one so I'm at 1.4gal total with hoses. I run meth it was good for 30-40* drop. I still can not get over 480rwhp. It's the cams IMO. I can keep the iat2 down to only 20-40 above ambient on a Dyno run.

Just think if the ICWT was refrigerated to 40deg all the time without that big front mount! You probably could cut back on methanol. What about Torque management? I know some are afraid to cut way back on Torque Management for fear of breaking Trans. TM tables are all zero wed out on my GTO but it’s a stick.

#134 ·
Here is ATF cooler mounted on passenger side

Once relocated to front there is plenty space for over size Super Chiller, Diverter Valve and IC Water Pump

Arrows show ATF cooler flipped and mounted out front

New found space under hood will get a IC water tank

Sketch for water tank

Here you can see low side return adapter fitted no cutting.

Low and High side Freon connections.

#135 ·
I can’t post any detailed pictures of GizmoQ car for now but you can get a good idea from the first C6 I did. Oh that hole in fiberglass is already there on C6 no cutting or drilling involved. XLR V fiberglass is completely different with more room to work with.

This picture was as far as I got to dual chillers for the dual in and out the EForce has. Just ended up doing R side we had so much trouble with difficult welding back then. I have a welder now that can weld anything I need first shot. With results we have had there has never been a need for larger Super Chiller. Now with GizmoQ we are adding another 10 plates.

#142 ·
The Active InterChiller works as advertised, so far. 78* ambient cruised 20 miles at 70MPH -IC water temp was 127*. Turned chiller on same trip, same speed - IC water temp 44*. Can't wait to start adding timing back in!

#144 ·
Ok that sounds great but 70mph is far off of wot at 100+mph at 19psi. What I want to know is what is the iat2 temps at speed and wot. when I dynoed my car last week iat2 was 10* higher than outside air temps. And at wot it went up to 155* max. So it was 68* when I dynoed so I want to know what your temps go to under close temps at wot.

#145 ·
What is your intercooler water temp during above conditions? That’s what will tell you how efficient intercooler is working. If water is hot intercooler is working if water stays near the same then there is no heat transfer. GizmoQ will have more info for you soon. I believe refrigerated water will cool IAT2 better than hot water even on a Northstar.

#146 ·
Did some data logging on the 1100mile trip home. Without the chiller cruising at 84 the modified pump and intercooler surprised me. With no chiller, IC water temp stayed right around 114* (lots of air coming in at that speed). Interestingly, the Active Interchiller at that speed only got the IC water temp down to around 69*. Hmmm. Maybe that was because it wasn't in competition mode (forgot to flip the switch).

#148 ·
I would say if AC was good and cold that the blower was making a lot more heat at that speed and intercooler was working well transferring heat to water. We knew going in this would not be as efficient as a Maggie on a LS3 that’s why I increased chiller size 30%. That’s still around 45deg improvement. We still have the option to try adjusting the Super Chiller Valve. We just plain ran out of time or I would have made 1 more adjustment. Your Freon charge is now 1lb 5oz btw. What about ICWT when you’re stopped and chiller is off how fast does it climb? Your new water tank helps with or without chiller too.

I do not know what my ic water temp is. Never checked it only iat2 before big fount mount heat exchanger. Iat2 would go to 180-190* in 45* weather now only 155* in 65* weather.
IMHO you’re big fount mount heat exchanger does not help much when you’re going slow or stopped. Don’t forget when AC/Chiller is on heat exchanger is not used. Chiller will keep water cold when stopped going slow or fast air flow is not needed at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.