The ultimate intercooler upgrade! - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, The ultimate intercooler upgrade! in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by 1madstsv GiszmoQ car. Yeah, Elwood needs more timing and I like this way to get there....
    GizmoQ is offline The Last Good Gremlin
    Automobile(s): 06 XLR-V and 96 Eldorado ESC-V -- One day ;)

Re: The ultimate intercooler upgrade!

Quote Originally Posted by 1madstsv View Post
    GiszmoQ car.
    Yeah, Elwood needs more timing and I like this way to get there.
    STS_Chiller and STS_Chiller like this.
    Snake Bit Super Chilled Black Raven 2006 Cadillac XLR-V aka Elwood (Jake's brother)
    Verified 501rwhp and 486TQ at 6000RPM so far...final goal 575/550

ELWOOD - "Corvette in a Tuxedo ... with a Jet Pack"

2013 St Louis Region SCCA Solo SSM Class Champion
    Texas Mile Record Holder: Street Legal XLR @ 159.5MPH
    ECTA LSR Record Holder: 4.2-5.0L Blown Gas Modified Sports Car

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

I'm waiting to see how you like it. I might need to be next. Can't let you have all the hp to your self.
    GizmoQ and GizmoQ like this.

STS_Chiller is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Ok the local Speed Shop hooked me up with a local CTS V that’s interested in getting Chilled. Are you STS V guys going to let the CTS beat you to the ultimate intercooler upgrade?

550HP STSV is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Heavily Modified STS-V

Nope, I'm still in.

PGA2B is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

Dave- Did the measurements and pics help you at all?

Quote Originally Posted by 550HP STSV View Post
    Nope, I'm still in.
    When are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by PGA2B View Post
    Dave- Did the measurements and pics help you at all?
    Well measurements looked same as C6 which is what I expected and hoped for. So CNC work is done for all V series cars! I don’t know if you take really bad pics or what, looked way more cramped than the NA STS I looked at LOL. Thanks!

Seriously I should be able to run my aluminum return line from chiller to near fire wall so it will look factory or not even get noticed. Like the Camaro5

It is pretty cramped but the pics did not come out as good as they could have. It was hard to get a good shot. Sorry bout that!

Question I have is do you need to run the A/C all the time inside the car?

Competition version allows you to run AC and Chiller then flip hidden micro switch to turn off Freon to cabin. A led comes on to designate cabin off and air out vent is ambient. This is so water won’t drip on track. Other than that if you don’t turn on AC chiller is not on and you default to front heat exchanger. Anytime AC compressor is on diverter valve bypasses front heat exchanger.

parkeraire is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06' sts-v

does this mod make enough power to offset the losses of having to run the a/c compressor?

Quote Originally Posted by parkeraire View Post
    does this mod make enough power to offset the losses of having to run the a/c compressor?
    Who does not use AC now days? My GTO made almost 30HP on Dyno with AC and Chiller on vs. off, in a very hot shop last summer. Almost 500 Hp and over 500 Tq. This is not a mod for someone that does not use AC. Anyway computer turns off AC at WOT and XXXX RPM.

550HP STSV is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Heavily Modified STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by STS_Chiller View Post
    When are you in?
    Still down to take a trip to FL once my blower gets back!

Quote Originally Posted by STS_Chiller View Post
    Anyway computer turns off AC at WOT and XXXX RPM.
    Actually that is not true. The ECM has the disable and re-enable rpm maxed out to 8192 rpm so it does not shut off at WOT. It also has the TPS% disable set to 200% and re-enable at 197%. So our A/C should never shut off. That is the case for the 06 and 07. I have not seen a Calibration on an 08 or 09 so I don't know they are the same but I can't imagine it would be different.

Because of the aggressive timing reduction in our IAT vs Timing table at higher IAT and IAT2 temps it should give more power to leave the A/C on and keep the IAT's lower with the Chiller to keep from reducing the timing. With the Chiller the Intercooler water temps should be so low the timing can be advanced to take advantage of it thus outweighing the power loss of the compressor running.

To get the A/C to shut off at WOT you would have to reprogram the ECM and lower the values.

Actually that is not true. The ECM has the disable and re-enable rpm maxed out to 8192 rpm so it does not shut off at WOT. It also has the TPS% disable set to 200% and re-enable at 197%. So our A/C should never shut off.
    That’s not good in my opinion on any car. I have seen where somewhere in the translation of HPT these values are not literal. Chiller or not I would want WOT AC off enabled.

The ideal situation with a chiller the AC shuts off near WOT and/or say 5K. The water is at 30—50 deg, even with AC off it takes some time for ICWT to even get back to ambient. Whether street use or say 1/4mi AC is on while your in line, then you stage AC still on either tap the off button or let computer turn AC off when you go WOT. Now 12 seconds later you lift AC comes back on you drive around get back in line the chiller is lowering water temp and cycle repeats.

I don’t know if there is a reason GM does not want these compressors to cycle but they are variable output. That means they only pump enough to maintain desired output. There for they only use enough HP to maintain desired output. It is possible there is a no over RPM built rite into the compressor. That would be awesome. Manufactures are switching to compressors that don’t even have a clutch they spin even when AC is off. The computer controls output internally from 0 to 100%. There were roomers GTO AC never shut off and adjustments in HPT did not work. That was not the case I verified AC auto off during Dyno pulls. I set extreme values in HPT and thy did work on Dyno. I also step up AC on Fan values in HPT.

My tuner sat in car with AC on during entire session but when he went WOT compressor shut off, He loved it! So reality is for my car even thou AC was on it did not reduce HP during pull. He made detailed files that shoed the insane IAT with AC off in his very hot shop with no fan blowing on car and air intake was from under hood. Then with AC and Chiller on. We were all very impressed. My former associate said that rite there is your retirement. Unfortunately my associate never shared files with me and I probably will never see them or anything else he owes me.

My GTO is stock LS2 with bolt ons and M112 with rear pulleys flipped for over drive and makes 10lb very quick so it makes heat very quick. The chiller maintains ICWT of 30—50 deg with IAT around 30deg above ICWT. There are testimonials from new Camaro’s that heat soak is not an issue now even with hot lapping. The first new Camaro did extensive Dyno tests as well as street tests. He has an IAT display and ICWT digital display I provide. With his testimonials they should fly off shelves. Unfortunately that’s not the case yet.

I know none of this relates in per portion to the North Star insane IAT. GizmoQ car is getting a larger chiller so I hope to see good results.

My other idea is to lower IAT 1. With chiller installed it would be simple mater to add a small water to air intercooler to cold air intake also a very small core to cool fuel. These are ideas it will take some one willing to test. GizmoQ was not up for replacing his chrome plated air intake so it’s up to some one else.

2 important questions!

1. Does HPT display IAT 1 and IAT 2? If some one could forward me the PID I need for HPT that would save
    some time. I hope GizmoQ schedule allows for some Dyno time.

And B. What ATF is recommended for 6L80E and what do people use. My former associate used DEX III.

Also a new associate promised to make an ICWT setup and HPT pid that will log ICWT along side IAT. When he tests ZR1 he is building now that gets chilled! The advanced engine control system he uses already allows for this so he understands the value. I’m excited about this new association and the Chiller project we are involved with his shop is in TX. He wishes this new chiller project to be hush hush until well into it so all I can say so far he is a great asset to me and in turn all of us unlike my former associations that never paned out.

Well off to work I hope to make great strides today on Qs car, he added a grocery list of work he wants done DOH! Another thing These Cars Need an IC water tank with fill cap IMHO. So far I have not found a solution and doubt if I will have time to make one. I’m moving Qs pump out of sight so there is plenty room for one. More water will help performance and a cap just makes sense. The ZR1 has a tank under car this would help but personally I would want a fill cap.

Thanks PGA2B also There is great news out there on GTO Chiller I hope every one interested in GTO finds!

1. YES you can Dave. The PID's you need are Under Engine> General> Intake Air Temp (SAE) (F) PID.15 and also Intake Air Temp 2 (F) PID.2128. I emailed you my HPT Config to make it easier. You can thank the STS-V crowd for that (BMBSALES and BLADES). Before us they use to have to use Manifold Air Temp which is not a true IAT2 after the blower.

2. The Tranny we have is a 6L80E and she takes Dex VI.

P.S. We have a fill cap on the passenger side of our ICW system.

1. YES you can Dave. The PID's you need are Under Engine> General> Intake Air Temp (SAE) (F) PID.15 and also Intake Air Temp 2 (F) PID.2128. I emailed you my HPT Config to make it easier. You can thank the STS-V crowd for that (BMBSALES and BLADES). Before us they use to have to use Manifold Air Temp which is not a true IAT2 after the blower.

2. The Tranny we have is a 6L80E and she takes Dex VI.

P.S. We have a fill cap on the passenger side of our ICW system.
    This XLR V has no tank and only a strange little adapter to add water the aluminum portion of line has a connection like AC charge port. . How much reservoir does the STS V have ?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.