The ultimate intercooler upgrade! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, The ultimate intercooler upgrade! in Cadillac V-Series Forums; ...
    STS_Chiller is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Re: The ultimate intercooler upgrade!

I want to thank Coach for his enthusiasm and offering up his STS V for a test car. Also members that have shown interest in a STS V Super Chiller. We are backed up with GTO orders and still looking to get some parts manufactured. This started out with making a Super Chiller for my car the way I wanted. Then a huge interest from Forum Members to buy one. Our goal is always no cutting of car with the least modification as possible and a quality product. The GTO Super Chiller is a one piece product, stage 2 seen below.

Unfortunately there is not room for that on STS V so There will have to be Freon Lines but we do plan on machining aluminum adapters that will not require any cutting of AC hoses. I do have a local kid with a gen 1 CTS V SC by Magnusson that wants a Super Chiller but Coaches entheasm will likely make STS V next product. Looks like Coach will be getting one even if itís a 1 off product.

The simplest description of a Super Chiller is that it makes cold water. There is no way a water to air heat exchanger is going to make 50 deg water when its 95 deg out. Think about it you are trying to take heat away with a fan blowing 95 deg air across it. With coolant refrigerated to low 50s your intercooler will be as efficient as possible. While we think of the blower making all this heat it is nothing compared to what AC is designed to handle. A supper Chiller is like adding a very small rear AC unit. Same idea as rear AC in a van or SUV. Once installed a Super Chiller would be free performance and efficiency when AC is on.

Now about Meth injection I have it on my GTO also, its disabled for Super Chiller testing but they work hand in hand. Meth will do nothing when your sitting at a traffic light or just cruising along. Super chiller will keep IAT down most of the time. Also by keeping IAT lower it doesnít get out of hand. Example when stopped IAT will climb ski high stock so it takes long time to take that heat away. When you go way into boost there is too much heat and air flow for your intercooler to help much even with a Super Chiller. It does help that IAT is lower to start with but on my GTO the IC WT does not go up much in the ľ mi during 12 seconds with AC off. That means it has not taken much heat away. That is where Meth injection shines it lowers IAT regardless of IC efficiency as well as any other benefits your tuned for, I run 50/50 mix. Super Chiller requires no tune for benefits. I donít recommend upgrading water to air heat exchanger if your considering a Super Chiller, on GTO it is disabled automatically when AC is on and returns to normal operation when AC is off. All it does is add heat to cold water.

Quote Originally Posted by BlownV View Post
    Coach-
    A specific tune for methanol is preffered but I can tell you that it is not necessary.
    I can promise that the meth kit would be easier to install. The good systems out there are almost plug and play even for the universal units. run an airflow input to the controller...that's it.
    What is that about? Air flow from what?

coach123 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS-V & CTS-V

BlownV - my apologizes I completely missed your post describing your methanol setup posted earlier. After reading STS_chiller's post I went back and read through everything.

How would you tap into the boost control solenoid to call it to open the bypass? Do you utilize your factory windshield washer reservoir since it has a low limit alarm?

vince87t is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V TGC/Ebony

I would be interested in one of these for my 2007 STS-V and my 2006 GTO. The GTO has a Harrop hh112. Would the differences between the Harrop and the Maggie cause any issues?

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

Im in Atlanta as well Chiller. With the stock air box removed for an intake there might be room.

Quote Originally Posted by vince87t View Post
    I would be interested in one of these for my 2007 STS-V and my 2006 GTO. The GTO has a Harrop hh112. Would the differences between the Harrop and the Maggie cause any issues?
    Seriously? Now thatís the way to travel!

Should only be a little water hose routing difference, SNL is installing one on a Harrop 2200 GTO as soon as I get one to them. They are next on list, we have talked but I have not seen one in person. The RR corner behind strut has to be clear near expansion block, every one likes to use that space for fuel regulator. The assembly gets sandwiched between evaporator and the AC hoses.

BlownV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

STS-Chiller: You will need a signal to enable/disable the injection. Depending on the kit this can either be a simple boost activated mechanical switch using a line T-ed off from the supercharger solenoid or similar pressure source, or a progressive flow controller using a 0-5V input from the MAF sensor or a 0-5V input from the MAP sensor. Some of the controllers just have internal MAP sensors that require a vac/boost line too. All depends on what you buy but for our cars I would suggest a progressive flow style controller and tapping into our MAP sensors or running a parallel sensor.

Coach: You could use the factory windshield washer fluid reservoir if you wanted to. Personally I would mount the second tank in the trunk (our spare tire well would be perfect for this) with the pump back there as well. Just makes for a cleaner install IMO. The tanks either come with low fluid indicators or add-ons for them. The kits are very complete now-a-days.

As far as the boost control solenoid this was my interpretation:

The factory MAP sensor reads the boost level in the intake manifold. If it goes above 12 psi it triggers the solenoid which opens and allows the pressure from the intake to flow through the solenoid and open the bypass valve. (This is my understanding of our system thus far. I admit I have not sat down and layed out all the components in our system yet so please correct me if I am wrong) This is why disconnecting the 'X' line from the solenoid as Jesse did allowed you to run higher boost. There was no pressure being applied to the bypass valve to open it once the solenoid clicked open.

Thus, you could run a smaller pulley and make lets say 16psi without knock while running the methanol injection at WOT. Instead of completely blocking off/disconnecting the 'X' line from the solenoid you would place another solenoid in-line. This solenoid would be connected to the 6V output signal from the meth injection controller and configured to only open when the injection flow dropped below nominal. Hence, the solenoid would be closed when at WOT, making 16psi and flowing adequate methanol/water mix. With this solenoid closed the opening/closing of the stock boost control solenoid would have no impact on the bypass valve. However, if flow of meth/water dropped the secondary solenoid could be activated allowing pressure to now reach the bypass valve and drop boost down to 12 psi. Make some sense? It is basically the operation of an electronic dual stage boost controller utilizing 2 solenoids.

550HP STSV is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): Heavily Modified STS-V

i'd also be interested!

Thanks for the explanation on the meth injection. If I get an okay from Stiegemeier that using meth on these blowers will not do damage them I would be all for it. I think a superchiller and meth kit might be the best possible combination you could have for cooling purposes.

Coach - I would agree. I do not know the exact aluminum alloy that is used for our blowers (at least the lids anyway) or what metals are used on the internal components. Methanol will corrode (pit) aluminum over long periods of time...another reason we dillute with water. This is also where good atomization is important and why if you get a methanol kit you should get a good high pressure system (sureflo pump with viton seals). You want to avoid puddling that will cause damage to your intake. I have worked on cars that run methanol for long periods of time and have never seen any pitting or damage except where people have used crappy pumps and injected fluid at locations with inadequate airflow to carry the 'mist' thus resulting in the pipes being constantly soaked...kinda like a drain trap.

I assume the ideal location to install the nozzle on our systems would be as the CAI enters the throttle body.

I prefer in our case to run two small nozzles in the intake, one on each side of the SC before the 'y' into the throttle body. This decreases the amount going through one nozzle to get better atomization and also give the mix some time to cool the intake charge. A lot of us turbo guys like to run two nozzles as well, one at the outlet of the intercooler and one just before the throttle body.

Bump...Progress is underway with the A/C chiller. I spoke with STSV-chiller today. Anyone located around the Tampa FL area that would like to let him take a look at their car for fitment purposes?

cadillac94pimpin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleetwood Brougham,06 STS-V Black/Tango, 06 Hayabusa LE

Im in delray beach FL about 3 hrs south east of Tampa. I think there are some people closer then me though.

Redxped1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 sts-v 04 cts-v

wish i saw this my car was in orlando till last week

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.