Headlight Condensation - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Headlight Condensation in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by coati Here's a video of it in action! YouTube- r2 I didn't know I had a R2 ...
    Pjazz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS 1SG V8 RWD

Re: Headlight Condensation

Quote Originally Posted by coati View Post
    Here's a video of it in action!

YouTube- r2
    I didn't know I had a R2 unit in my car.

rodehard is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by VforVictory View Post
    I have had that problem before, you can:
    A) Go through the long process of removing the headlight and putting silicon around the headlight housing once the headlight drys out.
    B) If the vehicle is under factory warranty make enough fuss and cadillac will replace it.
    C) Buy refurbished headlights that have been resealed.
    If you do choose to remove the headlight and use silicon there is a good video on youtube that shows you how.
    I have a 2006 that is out of warranty. Where do I find the refurbished and resealed headlight assemblies and how do I get to the youtube DIY video?

eatyoursandwich is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS N*

Quote Originally Posted by rodehard View Post
    I have a 2006 that is out of warranty. Where do I find the refurbished and resealed headlight assemblies and how do I get to the youtube DIY video?
    Refurbished headlight assemblies: eBay

Sorry to dig up and old thread, but after about a month or constant rain, I still have no condensation.

1) This is the most commonly missed part of the process; as many of you know, the headlamps are vented from the bottom of the housing. More often than not, these vents get clogged stopping the headlight from venting properly, thus condensation (I had to take mine apart and use compressed air to clear the clogs).

2) I used industrial aquarium silicone sealant around the entire edge of the headlamp and replaced the rubber gaskets on the headlight access doors with the same sealant. Once the doors were closed, I used another bead of silicone around the edge of each door (I spent a metric ass ton on lifetime DIS bulbs so I hope I don't have to replace these anytime soon).

3) I also fab'd a box in each housing to hold silica gel packs. Silica get packs absorb 40% of their weight in water. Granted, this doesn't stop condensation, it just helps extend the time it takes before I need to remove the headlamps and inspect the vents.

mprice1975 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS, 2007 STS-V

Spoke to both Massey Cadillac and Sewell Cadillac here in Dallas and was told initially that i needed to replace them because the seals were probably damaged. It cleared up so I left it alone and when it happened again 6mo later I skipped the service manager and went to one of the shop techs. He told me that its not the seals. It sounds silly but according to him many owners have this problem and per Cadillac the headlights are said to be vented so this will happen on occasion. I dont know what to thin kbut just so you know apparently the dealerships are no any more "in the know" than our guesses may be. I hate it when they seem to know even less about the products than we do. Hell a few weeks ago I got rear ended by a woman texting while backing out of a parking space in Rockwall and spent 3 days arguing with one of these dealerships (the one starting with a M) about whether the rear bumper on a 2009-11 STS was the same as the STS-V. Even after it arrived (refurbished part of coarse) and was obviously different I was told "we can make it work". I was so pissed. They ended up ordering an OEM one at $400 more eventually but not before trying to convince me that my bumper didn't match because it was aftermarket because some idiot in the GM Parts Division they called for help told them that Cadilla never made a Bumper for the V cars with Chrome Metal Mesh. Really.... ?? Its pitiful. Had to contact someone at GM High Performance Division to get that one straightened out even with Factory Parts Manual and Disassembly Guide in Hand. Independant Dealerships are why GM is going under these days!!!

cstarky15 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Yes the headlights have a vent in them and yes it will cause some moisture to get inside, but if it is going half way up the light then there is a seal issue. I had my passenger one just replaced due to this. Drivers has some but not enough to worry about like my passenger one. My dealer in mn has been nothing but amazing with this car. Sounds like your dealers are pretty special.

Yes the headlights have a vent in them and yes it will cause some moisture to get inside, but if it is going half way up the light then there is a seal issue. I had my passenger one just replaced due to this. Drivers has some but not enough to worry about like my passenger one. My dealer in mn has been nothing but amazing with this car. Sounds like your dealers are pretty special.

PNBLWZD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS-V Black Diamond Sedan, 09 CTS-V (sold), STS-V (sold)

Had both of my headlight assemblies replaced under CPO warrantee after they got condensation from heavy rain once, been dry inside since.

rakoom2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Im guessing your car still needs to be under warranty for them to replace the lights? Ive been dealing with this issue since ive had the car and it bugs the shit out of me. Ive purchased three different headlights trying to fix the issue and it keeps happening. I live in Portland and I rains like 90% of the year. Very Frustrating issue and its a a pain in the ass to do headlight swaps.

PNBLWZD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '12 CTS-V Black Diamond Sedan, 09 CTS-V (sold), STS-V (sold)

If not replaced under warrantee they are very expensive, like $800-900 each assembly plus installation. Probably cheaper options on ebay, but impossible to know if what shows up will be better or worse than what you have already. Or if you could just get the housing minus the HID balast I would think they would be cheaper.

Correct cadillac told me they were $900 a piece plus install. Lsat I remembered is that they had to drop the bumper to install the lights.

youknooow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V 1 OF 3 BLK ICE & TANGO RED

Quote Originally Posted by Cataract View Post
    Left my V outside overnight when it rained this last week.. then we've had some hot days. Both headlights have condensation all over inside! Whats with this? Its been a couple days now and only one is nearly cleared up, the other still has a lot.. Ohh and pics below..

Anyone else have this problem? Do you think the seal is bad? I am going into the Stealer next week, so Ill have them look at it I guess..
    I had one replaced under warranty no problem, just drove up with the condensation, part was ordered.

kizzykoddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 sts v

I had heavy condensation in one headlamp...pushed the safety issue and they replaced the unit because the seal was broken..no further problem.

eatyoursandwich is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS N*

Well after a month of no condensation, it is back again. Short of sealing the vents, I have literally done everything to seal the life out of the housings.

For people who have drilled a small hole in the bottom (as that seems to be the next best real, long-term solution) how has this worked out? Did you seal off the vents?

This is pissing me off. Why there is not a TSB for this is insane.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Just put some sylica packets inside. Solved it for me.

Vampyre is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS-V Black over Black!

It was an easy fix for me, only my driver side had condensation, so I removed the air box and open the side of the light, where you service the DRL, and used a paper towel to dry out the
    light, you can not get to the front of the light, but all it took was to soak up the water in the bottom of the headlight and it is perfect now, Dealer wanted something like $1800 to replace
    the light.

Have not tried sylica gel, but I might toss a packet in

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.