Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Advice on manual shifting an automatic transmission

8K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  jedhead 
#1 ·
My STS V is the first car I have owned with the ability to manually shift an automatic transmission. Does anyone have advice on how to best utilize this feature. I am concerned that I may damage the transmission if I shift improperly.

Regards,

Bob

#2 · (Edited)
Not to sound like a d1ck, but.......

Treat it just like a stick shift and just remember which way it up and which way is down.

ENJOY IT!!

G
#9 ·
i wanted to reopen this thread. My biggest problem is the lag in the shift. Raced an 06 cts v manual with a short shifter, lingenfelter ecu, intake and exhaust. It was a great race but he got a couple feet eachtime we shifted due to my lag and his manual. Which chip or tuner is best for the sts v. I have only lowered and put Magnaflow exhaust performance wise.. Please help. My buddy drives an 06 M5 and we raced the 1/8 mile and i beat him but on a 1/4 he is half a car ahead.

G
#10 ·
I wannted to re open this thread. I wanna know what chip or ecu is the best for performance wise and can kill the shift nannies. I have only lowered and put Magnoflow mufflers on my 07 STS V. Any info on routes to take? I raced an 06 CTS V with Short shifter kit, Lingenfelter tuned ECU, Intake and exhaust. It was a dead even race but due to you GAY shifting lag he would pull a foot or two every shift. Thats bull S&@T!! I LOVE MY V. So much that i just got a job as a salesman at Cadillac in Miami. Please let me know if yall have any advice. Thanks

#11 ·
Try and run it without shifting. You can slide it over into Sport mode, but do not shift. In mine, the shifts seem to be firmer in Sport mode. I would bet an experienced driver would take 10 runs before he could better the times he got with letting the car shift itself. Just my 2 pennies worth.

G
#17 ·
I tried the car on the drag strip in manual and automatic sport mode. sport mode shifts to early. On the 1/8 mile in stick i finish in begining of 5th maybe. When i ran it in automatic it went all the way threw the gears to 6 and was significantly slower. i dont know how your cars are shifting better in automatic with " more pepp " but my comonsense says manual usually is better and gives u the option to peak out all the power. I am really mostly curious about Chips and tune process. Since i have waranty and work at a dealership i am trying to find out options. thank yall

#18 ·
I am clearly a buy American guy, but the M5 is just a faster car--itll run low 12s easy and i just dont see my V doing that,unless it was an all out race worthy car.I raced an M5 at the 1/4 mile track with my 540hp Shelby and just beat him by couple tengths. I think the V will eat up M3s,but not the 5s

#21 ·
I had my Wait4Me ECU retuned. The Wait4Me tune was too aggressive for the 91 Octane gas out here in California. The new tune is not as lean the timing is not as aggressive. The redline was raised to 6700 and the shift point for 1st for both D and SD set at 6400 so the engine won't hit the rev limiter before shifting. The shifting was not changed in D, a little quicker/firmer in SD and a lot quicker/firmer in Manual. The boost comes in immediately so the car feel much more powerful than before. I did loose a little mpg around town. The car is so much better to drive and feels much more responsive to the throttle. Now the car launches with authority from a stop or from a roll and I have had to get used to the throttle.

I now have 390whp and 382ft-lbs tq. My only mod is an axle back Corsa exhaust.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.