Knocking noise in front end going over bumps - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Knocking noise in front end going over bumps in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio I'm getting what I think is bump steer. When I go over bumps I can feel ...
    TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac

Re: Knocking noise in front end going over bumps

Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    I'm getting what I think is bump steer. When I go over bumps I can feel my steering wheel vibrate and can actually hear a noise coming from the actual rim of the steering wheel if the radio is off.

<25k miles but I'm on the d3 springs. Could the springs have caused the shocks to go early?

I'm guessing check everything on the front end and if nothing is obvious, replace shocks.

Does this make sense or should I change my approach here? Anybody know for a fact what tends to go wrong with this car when there is bump steer?
    Shocks are very likely toast. Mine has been lowered for around the same amount of time and both my front shocks were junk. I bought the kybs on amazon for $100 each and the clunking from the front and rear are almost all gone.

The spacers in the rear shocks keep them in their stock operating range and mitigated the damage the front ones experienced. Rears are still good.

Guy.Seminerio is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 STS-V; 1979 Coupe Deville, 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco Manual

Alright thanks Tim. Based on this thread,

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ement-kyb.html

This is the one I found:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001C4...6262803&sr=8-1

Is that right?

Any comments on the kyb vs oem or basically no real difference?

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac

That's right.

Feels is same as stock. I can't tell the difference. No use going with OEM if they are only going to last 25k anyway.

Makes sense. Ok I'm gonna check everything else out down there and then buy these. Thanks.

Everything seems ok down there. Shocks it is. By the way I also noticed slightly accelerated wear on the outer edge of the front tires. So right edge of passenger front tire and left edge of driver front tire. Rears are fine. Could this be related to the shocks? I always thought shocks would wear the inner edges.

It's also very possible that it's time for another alignment now that the d3 springs have settled some more.

Please advise.

jasonp12 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac STS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy.Seminerio View Post
    Everything seems ok down there. Shocks it is. By the way I also noticed slightly accelerated wear on the outer edge of the front tires. So right edge of passenger front tire and left edge of driver front tire. Rears are fine. Could this be related to the shocks? I always thought shocks would wear the inner edges.

It's also very possible that it's time for another alignment now that the d3 springs have settled some more.

Please advise.
    I had the same wear on my fronts. Just the outside edges. I bought new tires, and I had the alignment checked along with all the suspension and everything checked good. So we will see if the new tires wear as bad. Im hoping not.

Im hoping it was just my driving habits
    baller95 likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.