Stupid engineering question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Stupid engineering question in Cadillac V-Series Forums; We have forced induction on our cars via a blower. On the intake side of the blower is a vaccuum. ...
    LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

Stupid engineering question

We have forced induction on our cars via a blower. On the intake side of the blower is a vaccuum. This makes the blower a little less efficient as it has to suck air through a tube and the more the blower spins the more air it needs to suck through that tube. I immagine this suction reduces theefficiency of the blower.

HERE COMES THE STUPID QUESTION....

Has anyone tried to engineer a turbo inline with a blower? Hear me out before you laugh.

install a true turbo to generate positive pressure on the intake side of the blower. Nothing out rageous just enough to keep a slight positive pressure on the intake at all times.

The initial TQ comes from the blower BUT as the exhaust spins up the turbo, the turbo starts adding positive pressure.

In theory the blower gets rid of turbo lag and the turbo gets rid of the inneffieiency of a blower at top end.

Possible genius here or village idiot?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

inurok is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS-V Black/Black

Re: Stupid engineering question

Not sure where I read it but it has been done before not on a STS-V obviously. let me look around.

PSRmark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEELVISDAN View Post
    We have forced induction on our cars via a blower. On the intake side of the blower is a vaccuum. This makes the blower a little less efficient as it has to suck air through a tube and the more the blower spins the more air it needs to suck through that tube. I immagine this suction reduces theefficiency of the blower.

HERE COMES THE STUPID QUESTION....

Has anyone tried to engineer a turbo inline with a blower? Hear me out before you laugh.

install a true turbo to generate positive pressure on the intake side of the blower. Nothing out rageous just enough to keep a slight positive pressure on the intake at all times.

The initial TQ comes from the blower BUT as the exhaust spins up the turbo, the turbo starts adding positive pressure.

In theory the blower gets rid of turbo lag and the turbo gets rid of the inneffieiency of a blower at top end.

Possible genius here or village idiot?

Genius it is. lol

It's called compound boosting, and we have been playing around with this idea for a while, although we have run in to some space constraints in running the pipeing from the turbo back up to the intake...not impossible, but it will take some creative thinking to get one done.

Understand that boost levels with compunding with increase quit a bit...

I know of a compounded Cobra mustang that was making 1000hp with the stock blower and twin turbos.

Call me if you want me to get this done for you haha

v6stanger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): looking for a DTS

Yea this has been done before a few times for the Ford Mustang,Cobra,Lightning crowd. Would be cool to see on a Cadillac for sure.

leija_01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS-V

I'm already pondering the idea of going twins on the V...

Jpjr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by d3Mark View Post
    Genius it is. lol

I know of a compounded Cobra mustang that was making 1000hp with the stock blower and twin turbos.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...its/index.html

VineTime is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS V

Soo, whos going to be the first to try this?

Blades is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS-V

It is also called twincharging. I think it was first done on the mid engine, early 90s toyota mr2.. The 03 cobras have the hellion kit available to them.. One of the kits just uses the supercharger as an intake manifold.. as in.. it just blows thru the shell.

The tricky thing is shutting the SC off when the turbo is in full boost. That would be ideal.. It'd also reduce IATs quite a bit. I don't think I'd enjoy introducing turbo problems to my STS-V.. I have my TBSS to worry about for that.

Not to mention.. Our oil system is one bad mofo. I don't think they make lines/reducers small enough to prepare a turbo for our oil press at cold start.

wait4me is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

Our 03 cobra had a compound blower set up on it before i switched over to just the F1R procharger.. F1+ M112= motor failure.. The power gains where amazing though while it lasted. upward 900hp,.. Now im just at 720hp... Ill leave it there.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.