Replacing the Car Battery, with other than OEM - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Replacing the Car Battery, with other than OEM in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Mine just died. Went to the dealer, and they replaced it under warranty. Car is 34 months old....
    adamhw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Re: Replacing the Car Battery, with other than OEM

Mine just died. Went to the dealer, and they replaced it under warranty. Car is 34 months old.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by 55cadillacking View Post
    Serves me right for trying to do something for myself. Never fails. The car won't be moving for a while so I guess I have some time to recover the wrench. I have a feeling it is being held by the fender well.
    Naaaa, the day I can't change my car battery, I'm buying a bicycle.

Quote Originally Posted by adamhw View Post
    Mine just died. Went to the dealer, and they replaced it under warranty. Car is 34 months old.
    Like I'd said there seems to be a pattern here of a lot of these batteries going between 2 to 3 years, based on forum posts. My car will be 36 months old in May and I simply decided to swap it myself now with a more serious cell, despite the fact it would have been a warranty item. Some things are just worth my piece of mind.

Jpjr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

CIWS: Thanks bro. I did *exactly* what you said in this thread and could not be happier. I even got the parts store to price match the Optima and saved an extra $40.

My battery was dead again today and even though it may have been covered under warranty I was sick and tired of my car not starting after not being driven.

I researched the whole Group 101 vs Group 78 sizing and you were right it is a direct fit, could not have fit better actually.

So for anyone still wondering, this is a direct replacement with zero modding required.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpjr View Post
    CIWS: Thanks bro. I did *exactly* what you said in this thread and could not be happier. I even got the parts store to price match the Optima and saved an extra $40.

My battery was dead again today and even though it may have been covered under warranty I was sick and tired of my car not starting after not being driven.
    Glad to hear you found one and got a good price match. How long is the car sitting between not being driven ?

BTW I sent a document with pics to Reed and the FAQ to be posted about the battery replacement.

Regulator is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I replaced my grp101 with a group 78 that I bought from Sam's Club. I had to cut off the plastic carrying strap and couldn't reuse the plastic cover that fits over the battery, however, the engine cover fit on fine. (Ok, maybe it's 1/16th too tall)
    Hope this helps!

AllGoNShow is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Cadillac STS V6

Has anyone had any luck with GM reimbursing you the cost of a replacement battery that you bought somewhere else?

I talked to the GM Warranty lady last week and she said to take the paperwork into the local dealer and they will review with a chance of reimbursement. Anyone else had any luck with this?

Jpjr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by AllGoNShow View Post
    Has anyone had any luck with GM reimbursing you the cost of a replacement battery that you bought somewhere else?

I talked to the GM Warranty lady last week and she said to take the paperwork into the local dealer and they will review with a chance of reimbursement. Anyone else had any luck with this?
    I think that is a long shot, but go for it. I am actually surprised they cover a wearing part like a battery to begin with, it is sort of like covering a tire.

I thought they would not cover the battery either, until I read somewhere that they do, I didn't believe them then I went and checked the GM website;
    http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/services...leges/warranty

and they even cover the tires too, which i replaced before I figured out I still had warranty on the vehicle.

Battery is covered, tires are not. At least here in America, you've linked to a Canadian site and the coverage(s) may or may not be the same as here in the U.S.

Ya GM Canada websites says its covered. I'm unsure of my coverage since it is a US vehicle now in Canada, found a dealer who likes to warranty things for me but they seem to be getting grumpier as they find more and more to replace.

OrangeStang is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): SRX

I just did the group 78 swap and had no problems. I cut off the carrying strap, put the battery cozy on the new one and wiggled it in. Tied it down with the stock hold down, connected the leads and drove off. Stock battery was 3.5 years old and would hold enough charge to start the car but it stopped and watched a movie or something for 10 mins or somehting and tried to start it would leave you stranded. Annoyingly I brought it to GM and they claimed it was fine. My GM dealer could not diagnose a vehicle problem if the car was on fire.

Wow, 3.5 years ? You had a "good" one.

caddyfat2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG w/ HUD-ACC

I replaced the OEM battery twice in 3 years ( one lasted only 6 months and the other only 1.5 years) so now I have the Interstate HTP-101 and can't be more satified.

ssstealth is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 94 Fleetwood TS

Thanks, I just had my second battery go out. Same as before where it is fine one minute and completely dead the next. The dealer told me it is caused by vibration knocking a cell loose in the battery... a side effect of having it mounted near the tire. Since they claim vibration, I went ahead and purchased the Optima 78.

PGA2B is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Black Raven STS V

That's what I put in mine and haven't had an issue yet and I only drive mine maybe once a week now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.