Need HELP... 469HP STS-V or 556HP CTS-V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Need HELP... 469HP STS-V or 556HP CTS-V in Cadillac V-Series Forums; OK... I'm at a crossroads... After browsing thru D3's Website... I could see my Caddy Dealer putting me into an ...
    cmicasa is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Need HELP... 469HP STS-V or 556HP CTS-V

OK... I'm at a crossroads... After browsing thru D3's Website... I could see my Caddy Dealer putting me into an STS-V RIGHT NOW... I could actually skip the CTS-v. The Northstar engine CAN be upgraded... Something I was unaware of being done...

They have a Package that gets the 469HP 4.4L Northstar to 575-hp/585-lb-ft is above the CTS-V... and where it should be.

I am at the crossroads myself... CTS-V... or STS-V with mods like this.

On one hand I love the CTS-V's looks and performance potential.. and lord knows that an LS Engine can be modified to the hilt for normally very little (My LS3 in my Z51 is kicking out 477HP at the Fly.. or about 417RWHP, cost me less than $500), but I still love the size of my STS. Seeing the new STS-V only endears me more to it.. as I personally think the 2008 STS is as good looking as the CTS, altho the CTS has a superior interior DESIGN. If Cadillac had of boosted the STS-V's HP via direct-injecting the NS, or performing these "D3" mods, or just giving the car the CTS-V's LSA... my choice would be undoubtedly the STS-V

I like the extra coupla inches on the STS... and it still has a more STAELY stature than the CTS... and MY word.. U really outta see how people still go GA GA over mine. The other night my wife and I went out to dinner in downtown Baltimore... at a certain restaurant where they always put up front the most "worthy" vehicle.. and my baby got FRONT ROW even over a Maserati Spyder...

On the subject of power... I realize I complain about the 320HP in the STS but in reality.. especially if U have ever driven one... the engine actually does an excellent job... seems to be underrated considering it's performance numbers in recent tests, and is simply one of the most refined power-plants U can find... My gripe is that the competition is moving ahead... 320HP is no longer class leading... Benz is at 382HP from their 5.5L.. BMW is at 360HP from their 4.8L... and even Lexus is at 380 from their 4.6L. Infiniti is at 390 with their 5.0L in the FX.

I guarantee that GM's response will automatically be...

"We kno they have more power coming from their 4.6L, 4.8L and 5.5L engines.. but we have 469HP coming outta out 4.4L..."

Which is true, but I believe and kno that they can do better. THEN we have the CTS-V coming in with 556HP... compared to the STS-V.. the Flagship sedan, having almost 90HP less..

So then I saw this article about the XLR-V being boosted... the I went to their website... They claim to have yanked an additional 106HP from the 4.4L NS bolting on a cold air intake, cat back exhaust, and pcm tune... So now I'm wondering... can I get an '08-09 STS-V.. take it to them.. get the work done.. and be happy as a pig in slop?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Need HELP... 469HP STS-V or 556HP CTS-V

I was considering one of the packages if I went with the V... My question is... Do I have to send the car to Cali to have the work done or is it done at a local Caddy Dealer.. And does this Void the GM 100K warranty and if so.. What is D3's Warranty???

Stage 1 Power Package – MSRP $2,295.00
    Application: 2006-2008 STS-V
    Horsepower Increased to = 505+ bhp (Includes Stage 1 Intake, ECU Chip Upgrade, and Corsa Exhaust) Product Description – This is our introductory package which includes Stage 1, ECU Box, Corsa Exhaust System. It is a relatively simple and quick bolt on package that will boost engine power to over 505 bhp. This is a very popular upgrade for V-Series owners.

Stage 1.5 Power Package – MSRP $3,090.00
    Horsepower Increased to = 525+ bhp (Includes Stage 1&2 Intake, ECU Chip Upgrade, and Corsa Exhaust) Product Description – This is our introductory package which includes Stage 1, ECU Box, Corsa Exhaust System. This is a very popular upgrade for V-Series owners.

Stage 2 Power Packages – $4533.00
    Horsepower Increased to = up to 570+ bhp/Torque Increased to = 500+ (Includes Spark Plugs, Boost Upgrade, Intercooler Upgrade, and ECU tune)
    *Does not include any of Stage 1 items* Product Description – For those who are looking for a little bit more of an upgrade, but do not want to get into the motor, we offer our Stage 2 power package. This package includes Spark Plugs, Boost Pulley Upgrade, Intercooler Upgrade, and new ECU tune. It will boost engine power up to 570 bhp. This package requires a PCM reflash to maximize tune and engine potential. Not only do we increase the engines performance, but we also focus on increasing the engines efficiency, both thermal and fuel. The results are constant repeatable performance that will not fade like common supercharged vehicles.

adamhw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Any mod that increases power can void powertrain warranty. A tune is unlikely to be detected and will increase fly power to about 500. If power and perfermance are important get the cts. If you can't wait get the sts. Otherwise test drive both and see what you like. The cts will be like 15k cheaper, and that probably includes the recaros

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

Quote Originally Posted by cmicasa View Post
    as I personally think the 2008 STS is as good looking as the CTS, altho the CTS has a superior interior DESIGN.

?

]
    Are you serious? This is the first I have heard anyone say the CTS has a better interior. You might be right if cheesy plastic is your thing.. I think you may have stated it backwards...

MauiV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Tis Gone :(

Hes talking about the Gen II CTS, and that interior IS better than the STS or DTS.

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEELVISDAN View Post
    Are you serious? This is the first I have heard anyone say the CTS has a better interior. You might be right if cheesy plastic is your thing.. I think you may have stated it backwards...
    I think he meant the new CTS model. I had a 2009 CTS as a loaner for a few days and it was so much nicer than my plastic filled 2007 CTS-V. I love the STS-V but the new CTS-Vs interior is a little nicer (in my opinion).

U must not have seen the new CTS-V interior... it kinda kills the STS-V's
    Also about the cost... The CTS-V will start at about $65K I think... I'm pretty confident I could find a 2K miles 2008 STS-V GM Certified for about $56K... (yup... just found one).

adamhw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS-V

I just had a 09 cts loaner. The interior wasn't close to being as nice as the sts-v. This was the bare boned cts, however the sts-v's interior is so much more luxuriuos. Nicer and more leather, less plastic, and better wood inserts (compared to fake carbon). No comparison, however I haven't sat in the new cts-v, with the sude etc,. I was in a new limited edition massaratti with two tone blue and gray sude interior that was beyond rediculous.

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

Also about the cost... The CTS-V will start at about $65K I think... I'm pretty confident I could find a 2K miles 2008 STS-V GM Certified for about $56K... (yup... just found one).

Thats an 09/2010 gen II. I knew you couldn't be talking about the Gen I CTS. I thought you were talking about cars you could actually buy right now.

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

it all depends on what you want to spend. It looks like for the same $$s you can get the CTSv2 which has the better drivetrain than the STSv. The STSv has the 6L80 tranny which is fooking bulletproof, but the rearend is the lynchpin. Its the same shit Getrag thats in the CTSv1 but with more Torque nannies protecting it. I have yet to hear any whine or have ANY issues with the STSv's rear vs my CTSv1's glass jaw rear. I myself will standby and wait for the 1st year V issues to get worked out before I lay my $$s down on a new CTSv2.
    I DO love the comfort of the STSv vs. the CTSv1...no comparo.

F

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    it all depends on what you want to spend. It looks like for the same $ you can get the CTSv2 which has the better drivetrain than the STSv. The STSv has the 6L80 tranny which is fooking bulletproof, but the rearend is the lynchpin. Its the same shit Getrag thats in the CTSv1 but with more Torque nannies protecting it. I have yet to hear any whine or have ANY issues with the STSv's rear vs my CTSv1's glass jaw rear. I myself will standby and wait for the 1st year V issues to get worked out before I lay my $ down on a new CTSv2.
    I DO love the comfort of the STSv vs. the CTSv1...no comparo.

F

Good points all around.. and I appreciate it.

So.. if I went withthe STS-V.. which t really lookslike I'm leaning towards... How do I go about hooking up wit D3?

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

they are a supporting vendor....just look at the top of the forum page.

F

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

56k plus the cost of the D3 work (puts you in the 60k range), less blowing your warranty out of the water. Take all of that into effect. A new CTS-V2 you can easily get into for just above the 60k you'll be putting into a used STS-V.

If it were me? No brainer, get the CTS-V2. You get the hp out of the box, a brand new car and you get the full warranty.

I love my STS-V, but it can't handle like the CTS-V. It all depends on what you are looking for in a car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.