I think I need new tires . . . - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, I think I need new tires . . . in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by CIWS Good news for us owners. There's another tire added to the list of possible ownership now ...
    LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

Re: I think I need new tires . . .

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    Good news for us owners. There's another tire added to the list of possible ownership now for our cars that come in the OEM sizes.

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=(Y)&minLoad=S
    Thosetires in the link are touring tires. UTOG 500 AA Those are rocks.. Good drifting tires.. bt most of the performance tires run UTOG 180 to 220 for our cars.

stock

Size MaxLoad Max.InflationPress. TreadDepth Tire Weight RimWidthRange Meas.RimWidth Sect.Width TreadWidth OverallDiam. RevsPerMile

255/45R18 1709 lbs. 51 psi 11/32" 32 lbs. 8-10" 8.5" 10.4" NA 26.9" 770
    275/40R19 1819 lbs. 51 psi 11/32" 34 lbs. 9-11" 9.5" 11" NA 27.6" 754

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEELVISDAN View Post
    Thosetires in the link are touring tires. UTOG 500 AA Those are rocks.. Good drifting tires.. bt most of the performance tires run UTOG 180 to 220 for our cars.
    They are all season tires so a UTOG of 400-500 is common. Although owners comment that the Michs grip well for an A/S.

after doing the math and researching sizes here is what I came up with keeping stock rims

Nitto Invo
    F = 255-40-18 OD is .9 smaller
    R = 285-35-19 OD is .9 smaller

Toyo T-1R

Same sizes as above $220 front and $290 rear

good news a new option for stock size tires

Bridgestone Potenza RE050
    (Max Performance Summer)

Front: 255/45ZR18
    Serv. Desc: 99Y Load Index 99 = 1709lbs (775kg) per tire
    Speed Rating “Y” = 186mph (300kph)
    UTQG: Treadwear: 140
    Traction: A
    Temperature: A140 A A
    Price: $228.00 (each)
    Estimated Availability: In Stock

Rear: 275/40ZR19
    Load Range: XL
    UTQG: Treadwear: 140
    Traction: A
    Temperature: A140 A A
    Price: $372.00 (each)

Estimated Availability: Fewer than 9

Berger 93 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS-V

At least the tire manufacturer's are finally catching up! . . .

I still like my Good Years F1 AS.

BTW, has any one had/noticed that the TPMS are overly sensitive with regular tires? . . . Or is it my stupid POS air pressure gage f'ing with me?

dhemrick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Formerly 06 STS-V, now 13 XTS

Quote Originally Posted by Berger 93 View Post
    At least the tire manufacturer's are finally catching up! . . .

I still like my Good Years F1 AS.

BTW, has any one had/noticed that the TPMS are overly sensitive with regular tires? . . . Or is it my stupid POS air pressure gage f'ing with me?
    I currently have the exact same tires on my car as well, and also put a set on our STS4. I have not noticed any issues with either car's TPMS being overly sensitive or behaving any different than it did when the STS-V had the stock Pirelli Runcraps.

That said, after 16,000 miles, I will be soon replacing my Goodyear F1 AS on the STS-V with something different. With only 16K on them, I feel they they wore out on me too quickly. They have also become VERY noisy in the front. The rears have almost no tread left and it began slipping on me in heavy rain this past Saturday, so now it is a safety issue so they have to be replaced.

There isn't as much wear on the STS4 (not driven as aggressively), but my other half is also complaining that these tires are too noisy on that car as well, though they are not nearly as bad as the ones on the STS-V.

I am considering replacing the tires on the V with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. A co-worker has them on her Corvette and she really likes them. She likes the way they handle and has gotten about 30K out of them before they were shot... and she's not timid behind the wheel either.

Does anyone have experience with these Michelin Pilots? They are a bit more expensive than the Goodyears, but if they last longer and are quieter then I am OK with that.

bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

I switched the tires on my wife's S65 to the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S due to the complete lack of grip from the stock tires. She has only had them on this winter, so I can't really comment on longevity. BUT they have grip. The stock ContiTrac Performance tires had ZERO grip in Chicago weather. My poor wife got stuck twice last winter on those tires - once in the parking lot! (She couldn't get up the snow-covered exit ramp) No problems this winter, and she has not complained about tire noise. I didn't notice any appreciable noise with the Michelins either.
    Hope that helps.

P.S. I have the Yokohama Advan S4 on the STS-V.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by dhemrick View Post
    I currently have the exact same tires on my car as well, and also put a set on our STS4. I have not noticed any issues with either car's TPMS being overly sensitive or behaving any different than it did when the STS-V had the stock Pirelli Runcraps.

That said, after 16,000 miles, I will be soon replacing my Goodyear F1 AS on the STS-V with something different. With only 16K on them, I feel they they wore out on me too quickly. They have also become VERY noisy in the front. The rears have almost no tread left and it began slipping on me in heavy rain this past Saturday, so now it is a safety issue so they have to be replaced.

There isn't as much wear on the STS4 (not driven as aggressively), but my other half is also complaining that these tires are too noisy on that car as well, though they are not nearly as bad as the ones on the STS-V.

I am considering replacing the tires on the V with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. A co-worker has them on her Corvette and she really likes them. She likes the way they handle and has gotten about 30K out of them before they were shot... and she's not timid behind the wheel either.

Does anyone have experience with these Michelin Pilots? They are a bit more expensive than the Goodyears, but if they last longer and are quieter then I am OK with that.
    Are you serious? at 16k you are just thinking of changing the tires and are complaining? That means you might get 20k easily out of them.... I start looking at prices and availability of new tires around 10k and am ready to pull the trigger at 15k due to complete baldness. (and I'm not talking about shaved nutsacks either)

dhemrick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Formerly 06 STS-V, now 13 XTS

Are you serious? at 16k you are just thinking of changing the tires and are complaining? That means you might get 20k easily out of them.... I start looking at prices and availability of new tires around 10k and am ready to pull the trigger at 15k due to complete baldness. (and I'm not talking about shaved nutsacks either)
    Point taken, LITTLEELVISDAN. I guess I should be glad I got that much out of them considering how aggressively I drive and the nature of the beast. These tires are pretty much shot. There is no way these current ones would make it to 20K without devine intervention (maybe 1000 more if babied which I "ain't gonna do"). I wore the original Pirellis out in 18K and had hopes of getting more out of this second set given how crappy the Pirellis were.

I called today and ordered a set of the Michelins. I should get them on later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by dhemrick View Post
    My fronts (same tire) started becoming noisy at about 12K miles. The tires are feathering. Had the complete front end checked out, and all is fine as far as bad parts that might cause it. Only other real reason would be an alignment adjustment, or possibly something about the way that tire wears on the V car in the front. I've had the tires on the front rotated/swapped to try and counter that effect and decrease wear. I'm not wholly convinced there is an alignment specific to the V over the standard STS in their machines. The rears are pretty much fine, although one has had to be replaced due to a bolt in the tire, so it's not an original in the set.

When I have to replace them I'm almost certainly going with the Michelin A/S tires as I wish to run some form of A/S tire on the car and they do have a good reputation for grip from an A/S tire as well as wear rating.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

My fronts (same tire) started becoming noisy at about 12K miles. The tires are feathering. Had the complete front end checked out, and all is fine as far as bad parts that might cause it. Only other real reason would be an alignment adjustment, or possibly something about the way that tire wears on the V car in the front. I've had the tires on the front rotated/swapped to try and counter that effect and decrease wear. I'm not wholly convinced there is an alignment specific to the V over the standard STS in their machines. The rears are pretty much fine, although one has had to be replaced due to a bolt in the tire, so it's not an original in the set.

When I have to replace them I'm almost certainly going with the Michelin A/S tires as I wish to run some form of A/S tire on the car and they do have a good reputation for grip from an A/S tire as well as wear rating.
    Were yours Goodyears as well, C? For the life of me, I've never seen a set of Goodyears wear evenly, or display the same characteristics when the tire gets old, things such as noise and handling...

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Were yours Goodyears as well, C? For the life of me, I've never seen a set of Goodyears wear evenly, or display the same characteristics when the tire gets old, things such as noise and handling...
    Yeah GY F1 A/S Maybe something about their tread pattern, that's pretty much shared with that one and the GS-D3s. It really doesn't help that we cannot rotate the tires at all F to B and to move to the other side requires unmounting/mounting the tire off the wheel (directional). The tire is great in the rain, I've blown through water puddles that probably would have sent me out of control with the stock tires.

silverws6ta is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 STS-V; '10 STS 1SG; '08 Escalade, '08 Escalade EXT

Thumbs up Re: I think I need new tires . . .

For the life of me I keep forgetting to respond to alignment issues and post my alignment sheet when my car was done back in December -- so I am putting it in my laptop case and will .PDF/post it tomorrow.

From what I understand, alignments have been an issue on both STS models, my mom's Michelin's worn out in the 22k+ range and she IS NOT an aggressive driver. Service Manager said they had problems with the right side tires wearing faster on the STS. The Caddy tech (Robbie) at my dealership is analytical as I am -- he kept trying 'out of GM specs' and made major improvements as far as I am concerned in the handling - not sure about wear yet as thats only been a couple hundred miles ago for me but we will see.

Again, I will post mine tomorrow and FWIW seems to be a major improvement thus far.

after doing the math and researching sizes here is what I came up with keeping stock rims

Toyo T-1R
    F = 255-40-18 OD is .97 smaller
    R = 285-35-19 OD is .97 smaller

$220 front and $290 rear
    So I went with the T1-R's front and rear. As far as I can tell the smaller OD threw the spedo off 2 MPH. So it reads 60MPH when really its going 58.

So far it is a really nice combination. A little quicker on acceleration.

Pics

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.