I think I need new tires . . . - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, I think I need new tires . . . in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I'll tell you one thing, if you hate tire noise, stay away from the GSD3. I am about half worn, ...
    Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Re: I think I need new tires . . .

I'll tell you one thing, if you hate tire noise, stay away from the GSD3. I am about half worn, and they are so loud I can barely stand it. My lease is up in 6 months, and 2 of those will be winter so the V won't see street duty or else I would be tempted to replace them. I couldn't stand these tires for another year, I'd go crazy. Needless to say I am severly disappointed in noise and in performance from the GSD3. I'll never buy them again.

05STSWOW is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS 1-SG, traded in 2005 STS4 1-SG

I have a 2008 STS (not a V) with performance handling package with 18"x8.5" 6 lug wheels and Brembos. It comes with 255/45ZR18 Michelin Pilot Sport (summer only) all around, which will not last forever.
    How large an 18" tire is equivalent to the 275/40ZR19s on the rear of the V, or what other size will clear?
    Does anyone have any experience (clearance issues) with fronts larger than 255/45ZR18?
    It's a lease so I'm not changing the wheels.
    Woulda considered a V if it came in red.

Cliff8928 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V - XLR

The problem with going to a 275 is that a minimum of a 9" wide wheel is recommended to run a 275/40R18

adamhw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS-V

What about the Sumitomo HTR Z III? Anyone try these? The reviews and price look good.

thefred is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Kadonny View Post
    I'll tell you one thing, if you hate tire noise, stay away from the GSD3. I am about half worn, and they are so loud I can barely stand it. My lease is up in 6 months, and 2 of those will be winter so the V won't see street duty or else I would be tempted to replace them. I couldn't stand these tires for another year, I'd go crazy. Needless to say I am severly disappointed in noise and in performance from the GSD3. I'll never buy them again.
    I'm glad its not just me but these GSD3s are really loud. What is the story here? Have you asked GoodYear?

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2015 Escalade on Order

I am at 11K miles and I will need new tires very soon. For some reason the middle of the rear tires are wearing down worse than the outer edges. I always keep the tires inflated to the factory minimum, so I can't understand why this is happening.

The front tires are wearing evenly and are in much better shape than the rears. I was thinking of just replacing just the rears, but if I go with a different brand of tire, I will have to replace all 4. My lease ends in 5 months and I don't want to have to replace the tires until the very end so I may just stick it out as I don't drive the car as it is. It is best to replace tires right before the lease expires so GMAC can't come back and charge you an arm and a leg for new tires.

SG

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by AERO1 View Post
    I am at 11K miles and I will need new tires very soon. For some reason the middle of the rear tires are wearing down worse than the outer edges. I always keep the tires inflated to the factory minimum, so I can't understand why this is happening.

The front tires are wearing evenly and are in much better shape than the rears. I was thinking of just replacing just the rears, but if I go with a different brand of tire, I will have to replace all 4. My lease ends in 5 months and I don't want to have to replace the tires until the very end so I may just stick it out as I don't drive the car as it is. It is best to replace tires right before the lease expires so GMAC can't come back and charge you an arm and a leg for new tires.

SG
    My run-flats acted the same. The rears wore in the center more than the edges even though I kept them at recommended inflation levels (32 psi cold), however the fronts were wearing fine.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2015 Escalade on Order

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    My run-flats acted the same. The rears wore in the center more than the edges even though I kept them at recommended inflation levels (32 psi cold), however the fronts were wearing fine.
    Pirellis are junk. I will never buy another Pirelli tire!

I don't know what tire to go with. I am looking into a set of Michelins as they last a very long time, are more comfortable and a much better handling tire over the Pirelli crap GM put on our cars.

SG

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

I don't know what tire to go with. I am looking into a set of Michelins as they last a very long time, are more comfortable and a much better handling tire over the Pirelli crap GM put on our cars.

SG
    Run flats are but the Pirelli p0 asyms are the bobm. smooth and grippy but yet a wisper on the road.

I wouldn't necessarily judge the entire Pirelli line by one tire. They do make some good tires. But their run flats aren't worth the money IMO. I was one of the folks that went with the Goodyear F1 All Seasons.

silverws6ta is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '06 STS-V; '10 STS 1SG; '08 Escalade, '08 Escalade EXT

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEELVISDAN View Post
    Run flats are but the Pirelli p0 asyms are the bobm. smooth and grippy but yet a wisper on the road.
    I agree - I have the Pirelli PZero Nero's on my WS6 and couldn't be any more pleased. Handle well, quiet, and this is their third year of service on that car. A far cry from the crap Eagle F1's that came on it originally.. that was not a good tire for that car then.

Quote Originally Posted by silverws6ta View Post
    A far cry from the crap Eagle F1's that came on it originally.. that was not a good tire for that car then.
    The F1 supercars are a good summer performance tire, but they wear very quickly and are borderline dangerous in the rain.

Good news for us owners. There's another tire added to the list of possible ownership now for our cars that come in the OEM sizes.

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=(Y)&minLoad=S

TC-STS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V 06 SRX(Wife)

I put the Goodyear F1 all seasons on my 06 STS-V at 19k. The Pirellis were bald. They rode like Fred Flinstone's car and were terrible in the rain...couldn't drive it with a dusting of snow.

I have 9k on the GY and they are 100% better. I can pull away in the rain and can actually put my foot into it. I have been driving it in snow with fair to good results. Straight line ok but the tail came around on me in a turn only because I became complacent with the improved handling. Kept it out of the guardrail.

I would recommend them with confidence.
    Tom

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

I like the Toyo T1 R's but they only make the fronts stock but have some close options for the rear. Just going to have to take some time and do the math. The Nitto Invo have a close match as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.