lapeer dragway - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, lapeer dragway in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by Dale Pittman If you unplug the wheel speed sensor and it lights up the items on the ...
    PSRmark is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: lapeer dragway

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Pittman View Post
    If you unplug the wheel speed sensor and it lights up the items on the dash, does it return to normal once you plug it back in or do the codes remain and the items on the dash remain lit up?

If they remain lit up, can you reset them in some simple way or does it take a code reader to somehow reset the codes and return it back to normal?

If so which code reader works best for this to avoid having to go to the dealership and explain all the go fast parts, etc...

Thanks,
    Dale

Once you plug them back in the lights will shut off immediatly, it may store a history code but that will clear once you put a few drive cycles on it.

Unplug-away

DETROIT-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS-V/ 2006 H2 AND OLD FAITHFUL 97 CONTINENTAL SINCE NEW

TRUE THAT, TRUE THAT, the lights will go out as soon as you plug it back up, got more videos coming today, im off to milan to test my new performance upgrades

Dale Pittman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

I did unplug the wheel sensor last night and it did make it much easier to clean the tires before a run.

I made 6 passes in all last night and progressivly got quicker each pass. First pass was a 13.32 @ 106.5, last pass was a 13.06 @ 108.7, each pass was approx 20-30 minutes between runs. I only left the hood open in the staging lanes between pases (no ice or any other type of extra cooling). Air temp was 52 deg at the start 7pm, and got down to approx 46 deg on the last pass around 9:15pm.

The 60' started at 2.02 for the first pass and once I learned how to leave I got repeated 1.92 to 1.93 the last 3 passes.

It does seem unusual that the best technique to leave is to hold the car with the foot brake and push the gas pedal all the way to the floor. In doing so the engine is somehow controlled to a rather low 1500 RPM.

Then to leave you simply lift on the foot brake and the car really leaves nice. I had no wheel spin at all on all 6 passes. I would not have guessed this would be the case, since it is really easy to spin them in the burnout box with the wheel sensor unpluged.

Anyone else learn any different tricks or have any other advice.

Thanks,
    Dale

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Hello,
    Very nice! Strong MPH!! I would certainly see why your car was getting quicker with each run as the ambient air temp continued to decrease. These motors really like the cold air.

The power is certainly there at 108.7 mph...Are you driving with the shifter in the manual gate? Or are you just leaving it in drive?

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

I did unplug the wheel sensor last night and it did make it much easier to clean the tires before a run.

I made 6 passes in all last night and progressivly got quicker each pass. First pass was a 13.32 @ 106.5, last pass was a 13.06 @ 108.7, each pass was approx 20-30 minutes between runs. I only left the hood open in the staging lanes between pases (no ice or any other type of extra cooling). Air temp was 52 deg at the start 7pm, and got down to approx 46 deg on the last pass around 9:15pm.

The 60' started at 2.02 for the first pass and once I learned how to leave I got repeated 1.92 to 1.93 the last 3 passes.

It does seem unusual that the best technique to leave is to hold the car with the foot brake and push the gas pedal all the way to the floor. In doing so the engine is somehow controlled to a rather low 1500 RPM.

Then to leave you simply lift on the foot brake and the car really leaves nice. I had no wheel spin at all on all 6 passes. I would not have guessed this would be the case, since it is really easy to spin them in the burnout box with the wheel sensor unpluged.

Anyone else learn any different tricks or have any other advice.

Thanks,
    Dale

Craig,

We installed the stage 1.5 kit and mufflers from D-3 prior to this test session. This is George's car who you have spoken with recently and I help him install the parts and get it running. It did work well, but it took a few passes to learn that you could leave with the gas pedal to the floor and that the engine only goes to 1500 rpm and holds itself there.

I left it in Drive on all passes. I learned from trial - error on the street that the trans will not up shift as fast as you can ratchet the shifter in the manual mode - resulting in it hitting the rev limiter.

Was wondering if there was some better technique to leave the line with, or if it is normal for these cars with mods to not spin. Maybe the track was really prepared well.

Seems that the IC would benift from having an override switch to alow the intercooler pump run all the time when at the track to keep the heat soak to the IC to a minium. I did this exact trick to my GMC Syclone back in 1991 and it worked very well. Can you advise on how I can acomplish this. Also would be good to make the electric fans to run on an override switch as well.

Any way to tune the engine better, like with a handheld tuner? The split times seem real slow from 60' to 330', and 330' to half track. It does start to come on once the car gets up in speed. Might just be the fact that it is real heavy (+4200 lbs).

I included a photo of the time slip as well.

Thanks,
    Dale
    Attached Images

Hello,
    I am sure Craig will address the intercooler override switch.

You should have more left in it however. You will notice that the vehicle will shift a little more aggressively when you have it in manual shift mode (BUT DO NOT SHIFT IT YOURSELF). Let the computer do all the shifting. This will put the vehicle in performance mode and you should knock off at least a tenth or so. Your MPH is supportive of a 12 second run, just got to get all the details lined up.

Also what fuel are you running?

Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Craig,

We installed the stage 1.5 kit and mufflers from D-3 prior to this test session. This is George's car who you have spoken with recently and I help him install the parts and get it running. It did work well, but it took a few passes to learn that you could leave with the gas pedal to the floor and that the engine only goes to 1500 rpm and holds itself there.

I left it in Drive on all passes. I learned from trial - error on the street that the trans will not up shift as fast as you can ratchet the shifter in the manual mode - resulting in it hitting the rev limiter.

Was wondering if there was some better technique to leave the line with, or if it is normal for these cars with mods to not spin. Maybe the track was really prepared well.

Seems that the IC would benift from having an override switch to alow the intercooler pump run all the time when at the track to keep the heat soak to the IC to a minium. I did this exact trick to my GMC Syclone back in 1991 and it worked very well. Can you advise on how I can acomplish this. Also would be good to make the electric fans to run on an override switch as well.

Any way to tune the engine better, like with a handheld tuner? The split times seem real slow from 60' to 330', and 330' to half track. It does start to come on once the car gets up in speed. Might just be the fact that it is real heavy (+4200 lbs).

I included a photo of the time slip as well.

Thanks,
    Dale

Fire and Ice is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

Congratulations on the very low and very impressive quarter mile run! I'll do some digging and see if I can figure out a way to manually run the coolant pump for the intercooler without harming any computers or related.

Yes, I did have the shifter it in the standard drive position when I ran it last night, not in the manual gate to the right position. I did not know it would operate automatically over in that position. I just drove it tonight to dinner and tried the right manual gate position and it did shift automatically and the shifts were noticably firmer, even at just part throttle. Wish I would have known this 24 hrs ago.

As for fuel, we just use 93 octane pump gas from BP or Sunoco.

Let me know what you come up with to do a fan and IC pump override switch. I can install anything if you tell me what wires to tap into and what the wire needs to opearte the fan and pump (ground signal or +12v, etc...).

Thanks for the support and info. These EFI cars are fun to play with when you learn some of the tricks. My hobby is building and racing my 6 second Pro Mod car (see photo below), so testing this deal at the drag strip is well within our abilities.

Thanks,
    Dale
    Attached Images

Yeah not too many knew about that one.

I see you are well experienced!! Pro Mod = Insane! Very brave. Awesome looking car.

I am sure Craig will get you taken care of and let you know how to wire it up safely.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Yes, I did have the shifter it in the standard drive position when I ran it last night, not in the manual gate to the right position. I did not know it would operate automatically over in that position. I just drove it tonight to dinner and tried the right manual gate position and it did shift automatically and the shifts were noticably firmer, even at just part throttle. Wish I would have known this 24 hrs ago.

As for fuel, we just use 93 octane pump gas from BP or Sunoco.

Let me know what you come up with to do a fan and IC pump override switch. I can install anything if you tell me what wires to tap into and what the wire needs to opearte the fan and pump (ground signal or +12v, etc...).

Thanks for the support and info. These EFI cars are fun to play with when you learn some of the tricks. My hobby is building and racing my 6 second Pro Mod car (see photo below), so testing this deal at the drag strip is well within our abilities.

Thanks,
    Dale

We are planning to run the STS-V again this wed night at PRP. Planning to take some ice bags and see if chilling the SC lid and some fans to blow in the front between rounds will help.

Planning to also leave the shifter in the right gate position (to get the more agressive shift logic) and let it shift itself and looking for the first 12.99 pass.

Let me know any other tricks I should be aware of before Wed at 4:00 EST.

Will let you know how we do.

Thanks,
    Dale

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.