The "V" is in the shop today...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, The "V" is in the shop today... in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Gettin' the recall done...brought my Amsoil 90w-110 to replenish what little diff fluid may come out,replacing the brakes with Hawk ...
    WillySTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

The "V" is in the shop today...

Gettin' the recall done...brought my Amsoil 90w-110 to replenish what little diff fluid may come out,replacing the brakes with Hawk pads and Factory Accesory drilled front brake rotors(yes, at 16,000 mile they were worn out),a brake system flush with synthetic brake fluid, a rattle fixed in the sunroof when tilted up, replace the left headlight 'cause moisture is in it..., and the first tech to work on it says they had to jump start it...so maybe I have the battery replaced too. I had the oil and filter changed last month.

After all of that it should be in pretty good shape!

Did I leave anything out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Slo-Mo-Shun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V; TopKart Flash 125 Shifter

Re: The "V" is in the shop today...

When you say "synthetic brake fluid" do you mean DOT 5, silicon, Castrol Syntech DOT 4 or ?

I guess I'm the local killjoy around here, because the research I've done on hi-po rotors and pads suggests you actually lose performance in normal street driving, because the pads never get up to their correct operating range. However, considering your racing background and ability to wear out the oem's in 16,000, you appear to be one of the few that can actually use an upgrade. I'm still trying to figure out how you manage that in LA. Lots of midnight trips up 101 or along Mulholand Drive?

adamhw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS-V

It sounds like he's getting the hawk oem replacement. They have a race series that works better when hot, but not reccomended for the street.

Castrol Syntech DOT 4, not that "silly cone" BS...I ain't THAT stupid. Yes, I know better than to believe I'm getting better braking performance from drilled rotors...I know better than that too, but the price was right. They are sold by the pairs and were slightly cheaper than OEM rotors. I don't like machining rotors more than 1 mm so I replaced the front ones...the rear ones came in under 1 mm machined of, so they stayed. And actually, research has shown that only a grooved or slotted disc is necessary in ANY performance application...something we utilized in '84 on our race car back then. And, yes, the pads are the OEM upgrade, not the race pads, they are not needed on the "V".

No, I don't do Mulholland anymore, but I do drive with SPIRIT when the opportunity arises. Even my wife is a spirited driver and loves the "V" as well as I do.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Got any part numbers on those pads Willy ?

Slo-Mo-Shun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V; TopKart Flash 125 Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by WillySTS View Post
    . And actually, research has shown that only a grooved or slotted disc is necessary in ANY performance application...something we utilized in '84 on our race car back then.
    You're preaching to the choir brother. Give me a few slots to clean the pads and I'm happy. Unfortunately, marketing being what it is, it is very hard to find performance brake systems which do not feature cross-drilled rotors. If you really want a laugh, you should check out what they sell for my shifter kart--the latest craze is cross-drilled rotors that are scalloped around the outer edges. Yes it looks cool, I suppose, but how could anybody possibly think this is a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    Got any part numbers on those pads Willy ?
    Just for the rotors
    front 88964607
    rear 88964608

I threw away the ivoce for the pads and the tech didn't save the boxes, but the are the HPS ones not the HP Plus. They come in a blue box and they are the same ones for the CTS-V.

zman1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 GT-R R.I.P. 09 CTS-V R.I.P. 06 STS-V & 05 CTS-V

When i search for those part numbers for the rotors, it says for the CTS-V. do we have the same rotors on our sts-V as on the CTS-V??

pjbizjak is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 07 STS w/1SG Pkg

Any chance you would tell us what the brake job cost?

About $650.00, out the door. This is employee price. Typically a V brake job is about $1100. to as high as about $1500., depending on how many rotors it took and/or if we did a system flush.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.