Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Just Got My Cadillac Safety Recall Notice In The Mail For The Rear Axle Leak

7K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  ewill3rd 
#1 ·
I just wanted to let everyone know that I got the Cadillac safety recall notice in the mail today, but I don't have the problem yet. My rear end hasn't leaked a drop and I have had the car for a year now.

I don't want to take it in if it doesn't have the problem. Like they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. You never know. They may go in to replace the seal and break something else.

I will take it in if I see it start to leak.

Anyone else get the recall notice?

SG

#2 ·
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/1400301-post10.html

I'm dropping mine off tomorrow to take care of several things. Nav/Radio replace, Squeaky seat, the rear seal recall, and an oil leak (just showed up).
I figure since they're going to have the car for a couple of days anyway, I might as well get the recall done so it's over and done with. If I didn't need any real service and mine isn't having a problem, I might also wait until it did or something else came up requiring them to keep the car.

#3 ·
I just wanted to let everyone know that I got the Cadillac safety recall notice in the mail today, but I don't have the problem yet. My rear end hasn't leaked a drop and I have had the car for a year now.

I don't want to take it in if it doesn't have the problem. Like they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. You never know. They may go in to replace the seal and break something else.

I will take it in if I see it start to leak.

Anyone else get the recall notice?

SG
Whenever there is a recall you should take it in for a few reasons.
1.) It's a recall and may be dangerous, which is why it was recalled.

2.) Recalls usually use an improved part to insure that you won't have the problem in the future.

3.) The DMV is notified and you may not be able to renew your registration untill it is done.

4.) It's free.

#6 ·
Got my recall today. Seeing as my car is currently hibernating, I'll wait till spring when I start driving it again to take it in. Personally I wouldn't want to wait until the problem starts... I would be really pissed to have that leak on my garage floor or driveway. Plus like Willy said, it's a safety issue, not just to you, everyone else on the road if your differential locks up and you can't control where you are going.

#10 ·
The additive is a friction modifier required for a G80 equipped (limited slip) rear end.

All wheel drive models get two seals. One for the front diff, one for the rear.
The seal is the "pinion" seal, that is the input to the diff before power is split to the axles.

I drained and refilled a few, but the recall is vaguely worded, I don't think that GM wants us to drain the rear diff, only to replace what leaks out when the seal is removed. It is a pain to do that way.
The only ones that will be an issue on is the G80 axles, to get the balance of the friction modifier right.

It can take a while depending on what kind of car, the AWD models take considerably longer.

#17 ·
I should hopefully have my car back tomorrow. Ewill, should we allow any break-in period after the replacement ?

Reference my oil leak, this is what the service advisor passed on.

"We are replacing the lower crank case seal for the drip that you saw under your car. Was more of seep and not a major leak as you saw, but we will get it all sealed up for you"

Attachments

#19 ·
I should hopefully have my car back tomorrow. Ewill, should we allow any break-in period after the replacement ?

Reference my oil leak, this is what the service advisor passed on.

"We are replacing the lower crank case seal for the drip that you saw under your car. Was more of seep and not a major leak as you saw, but we will get it all sealed up for you"
Here we go again...lower crankcase seals on a North* is the the most extensive and expensive oil leak repairs that can be done on an engine and has been with them from the begining, and now here it is at the end of its life! We have a V in our shop that is starting to leak there. Thank God it's still under warranty!...Well, at least they got the oil consumption(which was suppose to be normal) under control. I haven't had to add 1 qt, nor have I recieved a complaint of such.

Oh well, can't have everything.

#21 ·
That's the way it always starts..."but, I hardly even drive it!"...is what customers always tell us. My story to them was, cars were made to be driven, not sit...not much time in R&D is spent letting a car sit then see when it will start leaking.

My point is, we daon't have this problem with the LS based engines.

#22 ·
CIWS, I have seen a few that looked like that. The heavy duty guys usually handle it. Not sure if that is an oil pan issue or something else.
The LS engines don't have a "lower crankcase seal" like the N* did. Just an oil pan and front and rear covers.
Could be rear main but the pattern is not really indicative of a rear main, it would be further back.
I have only seen a few.

No break in or anything, as long as it is done right you should be good to get in and go.

#25 ·
I have not seen the diff bushing issue on the STS-V. We only have about 5 or 6 regular customers that own them and they are not driven high miles.
I think the standard transmission has a lot to do with the durability or lack thereof.

#27 ·
Got the V back from the dealership with all the work done, including the recall. (Thank the Maker :) ) Because of the seal, they had to replace the oil and filter, so there's a warranty oil change. :D

The squeaky seat is written up as follows

"3824 Seat belt buckle alignment tab rubbing on seat frame. C9021 Loosen seat belt buckle, realign buckle and lube alignment tab not to rub on frame"

#28 ·
Got the V back from the dealership with all the work done, including the recall. (Thank the Maker :) ) Because of the seal, they had to replace the oil and filter, so there's a warranty oil change. :D
You're going to have to explain to me how fixing a seal in the rear diff requires them to drain replace the engine oil and filter? Not seeing a physical connection there.

#31 ·
I would recommend you get this done ASAP. I was disappointed to find a huge (garbage can lid) size puddle of rear differential fluid in my garage. Still have not gotten it up completely, and it smells real bad too.

Dealer said sometimes they just leak a little, other times they dump. Lucky me, I got the dump. Also, if the leak progresses fast enough, your rear could 'lock up' while driving, which of course is a huge safety issue.

#34 ·
I put mine in on Monday afternoon for the pinion seal, excessive brake squeel and a speed-dependent "humming" sound from the front end of the car.

I took a tech for a spin to help diagnose the humming noise as I suspected a bad wheel/hub bearing. He mentioned the pinion seal is written up for 1.5hr of tech labor, but most of the CTSs are knocked out in 30-45 minutes. I guess they just disconnect the yoke and pop the seal out from the front of the housing.

With 16K on the odometer, the brake pads are already down to 4mm, so I guess they won't sand the surfaces for me, and I probably have another 8-10K left before all the pads need replacement. :ill:

#35 ·
I put mine in on Monday afternoon for the pinion seal, excessive brake squeel and a speed-dependent "humming" sound from the front end of the car.

I took a tech for a spin to help diagnose the humming noise as I suspected a bad wheel/hub bearing. He mentioned the pinion seal is written up for 1.5hr of tech labor, but most of the CTSs are knocked out in 30-45 minutes. I guess they just disconnect the yoke and pop the seal out from the front of the housing.

With 16K on the odometer, the brake pads are already down to 4mm, so I guess they won't sand the surfaces for me, and I probably have another 8-10K left before all the pads need replacement. :ill:
Thank you for this info:thumbsup:

The front brake pads here in Germany need to be replaced at about 18 K miles. That`s normal but I do a lot of high speed Autobahn driving.

Harry

#36 ·
It takes anywhere from an hour to 3 hours depending on vehicle options.
We still have issues getting parts. If you come in for the recall we inspect it, if it is leaking we are putting people in a rental car, if not we make another appointment to get it fixed.

#37 ·
I concur with ewill3rd. It is a very short procedure. My dealer received the part at 3:30PM and the car was in the receiving bay waiting for me when I arrived at 5:15PM. They even had time to wash it before I got there.

The problem was getting the part. Since the seal for the V is different from the seal for the regular STS, he said it was harder to get and was showing as backordered in the computer. However, he was able to call up the GM supply warehouse in Charlotte and they located one and had it sent to Raleigh.

#38 ·
We have yet to run out of seals for the V. We are tearing through the ones for the regular cars. I think the CTS, SRX and STS all use the same seal kit for the V6 and there are plenty of those around here.
I think we are going through 20-30 kits a day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.