Just Got My Cadillac Safety Recall Notice In The Mail For The Rear Axle Leak - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Just Got My Cadillac Safety Recall Notice In The Mail For The Rear Axle Leak in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I would recommend you get this done ASAP. I was disappointed to find a huge (garbage can lid) size puddle ...
    jdodman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS V (Then). 07 STS-V (Next), 11 CTS-V (Now)

Re: Just Got My Cadillac Safety Recall Notice In The Mail For The Rear Axle Leak

I would recommend you get this done ASAP. I was disappointed to find a huge (garbage can lid) size puddle of rear differential fluid in my garage. Still have not gotten it up completely, and it smells real bad too.

Dealer said sometimes they just leak a little, other times they dump. Lucky me, I got the dump. Also, if the leak progresses fast enough, your rear could 'lock up' while driving, which of course is a huge safety issue.

BMBSALES is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 10 CTS-V, 13 ESCALADE, 06 C6, YAM R1

Re: Just Got My Cadillac Safety Recall Notice In The Mail For The Rear Axle Leak

Quote Originally Posted by AERO1 View Post
    Anyone else get the recall notice?

SG
    i got mine same day, mine was already done. friend of mine got same one for saturn vue i believe also. i just own mid-sized biz, so it's hard for me to fathom the seal co having to eat this kind of money(parts & labor). it's gotta hurt.

harryctsv is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dhemrick View Post
    I am having the recall done on my 06 STS4 today and the 06 STS-V tomorrow. I specifically asked the dealer about this and he said that GM specifically will NOT allow them to bill out a fluid change for this recall. They can only replace what is lost which should be a very minute amount.

Our STS4 has about 60K miles on it and the fluid was dirty, so it was about time for a rear diff fluid change anyway so I was trying to get one for free but no dice.
    Hi dhemrick,

I know this recall includes my V too but at my dealership here in Würzburg they still don`t have the parts.
    How long does this repair takes?

Harry

Imperator is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Light Platinum STS-V - 2005 Black Raven CTS-V (gone)

I put mine in on Monday afternoon for the pinion seal, excessive brake squeel and a speed-dependent "humming" sound from the front end of the car.

I took a tech for a spin to help diagnose the humming noise as I suspected a bad wheel/hub bearing. He mentioned the pinion seal is written up for 1.5hr of tech labor, but most of the CTSs are knocked out in 30-45 minutes. I guess they just disconnect the yoke and pop the seal out from the front of the housing.

With 16K on the odometer, the brake pads are already down to 4mm, so I guess they won't sand the surfaces for me, and I probably have another 8-10K left before all the pads need replacement.

harryctsv is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Imperator View Post
    I put mine in on Monday afternoon for the pinion seal, excessive brake squeel and a speed-dependent "humming" sound from the front end of the car.

I took a tech for a spin to help diagnose the humming noise as I suspected a bad wheel/hub bearing. He mentioned the pinion seal is written up for 1.5hr of tech labor, but most of the CTSs are knocked out in 30-45 minutes. I guess they just disconnect the yoke and pop the seal out from the front of the housing.

With 16K on the odometer, the brake pads are already down to 4mm, so I guess they won't sand the surfaces for me, and I probably have another 8-10K left before all the pads need replacement.
    Thank you for this info

The front brake pads here in Germany need to be replaced at about 18 K miles. That`s normal but I do a lot of high speed Autobahn driving.

Harry

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

It takes anywhere from an hour to 3 hours depending on vehicle options.
    We still have issues getting parts. If you come in for the recall we inspect it, if it is leaking we are putting people in a rental car, if not we make another appointment to get it fixed.

dhemrick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Formerly 06 STS-V, now 13 XTS

I concur with ewill3rd. It is a very short procedure. My dealer received the part at 3:30PM and the car was in the receiving bay waiting for me when I arrived at 5:15PM. They even had time to wash it before I got there.

The problem was getting the part. Since the seal for the V is different from the seal for the regular STS, he said it was harder to get and was showing as backordered in the computer. However, he was able to call up the GM supply warehouse in Charlotte and they located one and had it sent to Raleigh.

We have yet to run out of seals for the V. We are tearing through the ones for the regular cars. I think the CTS, SRX and STS all use the same seal kit for the V6 and there are plenty of those around here.
    I think we are going through 20-30 kits a day.

austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~

Just curious.. What exactly is included in the kit?? It is just one front pinion seal?? Or is there other stuff in there as well.

The "kit" has a new pinion nut, a new design yoke, and a new design seal.
    Basically you replace everything you take out of the diff then top off the fluid.

austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    The "kit" has a new pinion nut, a new design yoke, and a new design seal.
    Basically you replace everything you take out of the diff then top off the fluid.
    WoW.. That sounds more like an upgrade.. I thought it was just a front pinion seal.. Thanks.

I have posted some pictures on the redesign of the seal and pinion. I forget where they are, I think in the SRX area? They vary slightly in size and shape depending on the application but the redesign is the same for all the seals.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post1404835
    That is a picture of one installed on a CTS-V

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post1341436
    That is a picture of some of the components out of the vehicle.
    You can see the difference between the factory yoke and the replacement one. It does a better job of keeping debris away from the seal area and the seal is redesigned to accomodate the shield.

WillySTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

This is why you ALWAYS get the recall done even if you had the seal replaced already.

If I didn't mention it in this thread, the new parts went onto GM's shelves on December 17th, 2007.
    Anything done before that will need the recall done, even though a "new" seal was put in, it is the old design.
    If the recall is open on the vehicle, have it done.

txcadvette is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V Black Raven, Light Gray

I just want to thank you for all of the information posted in this thread. I had the recall done this morning and when reviewing the RO, there was no mention of the "additive". I asked my service writer if they forgot something...he checked with the service manager, who promptly checked with the tech. They checked the recall again and then asked for the key fob again so that they could finish the job and then put in the additive.

The service writer actually thanked me for checking and, of course, my patience with them. It seems that some cars require the additive and others don't...why they were confused about this car is beyond me, but he did say they have been doing a lot of seals lately (on different models). Just goes to show ya, that the more we are informed, the better.

THANKS!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.