Dyno Tuning tip list - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Dyno Tuning tip list in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I have found out HPT Support is in the mode of denial on any issues. Bottom line is that HPT ...
    LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

Re: Dyno Tuning tip list

I have found out HPT Support is in the mode of denial on any issues. Bottom line is that HPT supports stock run of the mill, no frills cars like GMC trucks, Corvettes, mustangs etc. You get into the more technical forced induced cars and they lack the detailed stuff we needto complete the jub. SO in a nut shell They do support the STS-V by phisically connecting to the interface and talking to the computer. As for having all the functionality the V software has in it, they do not. I am not done with their support or sales. Their view is if HPT can modify the basic engine (No VVT) functions and the basic tranny functions that Stabilitrac, tq management, and TC should fall in line on their own. Which is where the are wrong.

BMBSALES is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 10 CTS-V, 13 ESCALADE, 06 C6, YAM R1

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEELVISDAN View Post
    Their view is if HPT can modify the basic engine...tq management, and TC should fall in line on their own. Which is where the are wrong.
    i don't understand this statement, can you clarify?

My question to them.
    "My big concern is these cars have 5 different driving options. (TC button)TC off, Comp mode, and TC and Stabilitrac off. Add in (grar shifter), automatic, sport stick mode and manual matic shift. each of these settings can be done in combination with each other as well. Each of these affect shift points andTC. And where do you begin???"

Their answer
    "The modes do not effect the tune other than trans shiftpoints and trans shift TM."

The TUNE itself can change shift points If we program them. SOO how does the tune not affect the modes? They go hand in hand.

well there isn't anything for the tc off, but for reg mode, sport mode, and tap mode, you can separately adjust the shift points and torque converter lock/unlock points. of course, the tune is the same for all trans modes, but that's the ecm, not hptuners.

does that help at all?

Slo-Mo-Shun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V; TopKart Flash 125 Shifter

Ask yourself "what is my goal here?" TC and stabilitrac have no competition application, so if the idea is to generate big numbers, turn them off and concentrate on programing in that mode. If the idea is to fine tune it for better street and casual track day numbers (when having those electronic aids in the background can be helpful), then pick the combination most likely to suit your skill level and driving style.

I started out going for big numbers and tried to turn off TC and Stabilitrac but that left the car in limp home mode when we tried to test on the street. So in short I will initially go for good numbers then tweek for street/track driveability. Hopefully finding a balance at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by BMBSALES View Post
    well there isn't anything for the tc off, but for reg mode, sport mode, and tap mode, you can separately adjust the shift points and torque converter lock/unlock points. of course, the tune is the same for all trans modes, but that's the ecm, not hptuners.

does that help at all?
    So what can I expect to get out of HPT software at the end of the day? Just a decent engine tune and some trans adjustments?

yes, a good standard tune through the timing tables and other spark adj that we spoke of, as well as eliminating trans torque man, which in itself is worth the $, and if you want to, some wot fuel tuning...the same as any other tuning box or software out there...no magic. of course there are a million other things to touch if you wanted to, or changed components, but prob not necessary. as far as your wideband bung...the only thing you are tuning is wot, not really everyday driving situations.

dan did you ever go back and finish her up?

Scheduling another session next week. With some of the tips I and the tuner picked up since the last tune we sould be able to get her dialed in this time. I have decided to leave TQ management alone until we get the engine tune just right. Then if there is time we will tackle the trans and TQ.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

I know you were using HPTuners, what new tuner did you get to try it with ?

let me know which day if you need help.

bmb

My tuner is a reseller of EFILive. BUT we are going to use HPT first then we will take a look with the EFI to see if there is any difference or extra bits that may get us more. It should only cost $100 to use the EFI. The reason I am still going with HPT as my primary tool is because I get to keep all the tuned files on MY laptop for further use.

Quote Originally Posted by BMBSALES View Post
    let me know which day if you need help.

bmb
    sure thing. I'll let you and Fred know the schedule.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.