Help! Need to drain intercooler
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Help! Need to drain intercooler in Cadillac V-Series Forums; So, far, I've traced the intercooler coolant hose down to a splice at near the bottom of the radiator, slighly ...
    Slo-Mo-Shun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V; TopKart Flash 125 Shifter

Help! Need to drain intercooler

So, far, I've traced the intercooler coolant hose down to a splice at near the bottom of the radiator, slighly to the left (facing engine) side of the front of the motor. This appears to be the lowest point, but rather than me guessing, has anybody drained one of these or does anybody have access to instructions on how to do it? Sure as heck ain't in the owner's manual.

Supplement: upon further tracing, I found out the intercooler is the most forward radiator and the hoses plug in from the front so I only have to remove the grill to access it. Am I wrong?

My other thread on the fill level got started because upon checking the filler, I could not see any coolant in it. The overflow tank looked empty except for an orange stain, so I figured the level was down.

Well, I poured at bit of water in last night and what do you know, I couldn't see any coolant because the line is filled with crystal-clear water. Gurgled right to the top after about 1/2 pint. Driving it today did not result in mixing the water with any coolant--the fluid is still clear and the system appears to be pure water. My guess is that the previous owner had a nice heated garage and ditched tthe coolant for water in order to improve the intercooler's thermal efficiency.

Well, mine is parked in a carport and temps are well below freezing right now. I need to drain the intercooler and put antifreeze back in or risk freezing damage to a very expensive piece.

TIA.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Help! Need to drain intercooler

Update: The easiest way is to remove the plastic shroud under the car at the front (connects to the spoiler at one end the frame at the other). this involves pulling roughly 10 to the 3d power plastic pins. Once the shroud is off the intercooler hose routing is exposed and easily accessible.

My oops: Since the hoses were heat welded to the connectors, I cut what looked to be a 2.5 inch piece of standard heater hose running from a T to what appears to be an electric water pump. It's not standard heater hose; The hose is molded, with one end wider than the other, so now I have to get a new one from the dealer.

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

If you still need help with this, I can have one of our techs PM you the correct way to drain this system tomorrow morning.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-Mo-Shun View Post
    So, far, I've traced the intercooler coolant hose down to a splice at near the bottom of the radiator, slighly to the left (facing engine) side of the front of the motor. This appears to be the lowest point, but rather than me guessing, has anybody drained one of these or does anybody have access to instructions on how to do it? Sure as heck ain't in the owner's manual.

Supplement: upon further tracing, I found out the intercooler is the most forward radiator and the hoses plug in from the front so I only have to remove the grill to access it. Am I wrong?

My other thread on the fill level got started because upon checking the filler, I could not see any coolant in it. The overflow tank looked empty except for an orange stain, so I figured the level was down.

Well, I poured at bit of water in last night and what do you know, I couldn't see any coolant because the line is filled with crystal-clear water. Gurgled right to the top after about 1/2 pint. Driving it today did not result in mixing the water with any coolant--the fluid is still clear and the system appears to be pure water. My guess is that the previous owner had a nice heated garage and ditched tthe coolant for water in order to improve the intercooler's thermal efficiency.

Well, mine is parked in a carport and temps are well below freezing right now. I need to drain the intercooler and put antifreeze back in or risk freezing damage to a very expensive piece.

TIA.

Thanks. The system is now drained, though I'm sure I did not use the "best" way.

It almost never gets below the upper 20's where I am, so I'm thinking of putting in 25/75 coolant/water mix with Water Wetter added. This should improve intercooler efficiency a bit while still avoiding a freeze.

WillySTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

Thanks. The system is now drained, though I'm sure I did not use the "best" way.

It almost never gets below the upper 20's where I am, so I'm thinking of putting in 25/75 coolant/water mix with Water Wetter added. This should improve intercooler efficiency a bit while still avoiding a freeze.
    That's what I did, but I'm in Southern Kali. Don't know if it helped, but anytime I stick my finger in the intercooler coolant, even after a hard drive, it's only luke warm...so, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by WillySTS View Post
    That's what I did, but I'm in Southern Kali. Don't know if it helped, but anytime I stick my finger in the intercooler coolant, even after a hard drive, it's only luke warm...so, maybe.

Well, if it was super efficient the water would re scalding hot and the a/f charge would be be about 30 degrees.

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Hello,

Super efficient, it certainly is not. The factory system isn't nearly as efficient as it should/could be. When we upgrade the intercoolers we add additional capacity and even add a 1600CFM push fan to assist in cooling. The laminova intercooler cores are fairly restrictive as is the case that they sit in. We have working on different upper intercooler designs and have seen great results in HP. This will result in additional HP/TQ. The increase in intercooler capacity will merely allow you to maintain performance after extended runs.

Just you an idea we took a stock STSV and ran it on the dyno. We had to wait about 10 minutes for it to get back to operating temps after just one run. Furthermore we lost about 30whp by time the engine was completely heat soaked. We took a modified STSV with all the intercooler goodies ran it back to back 5 times straight, with less than a minute between runs, and only saw about a 5 whp drop from the first to the last run!!!

The water wetter will certainly help as it helps eliminate the tiny air bubbles, allowing for additional surface area cooling.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Well, if it was super efficient the water would re scalding hot and the a/f charge would be be about 30 degrees.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.