Do you all realize how well we got it? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Do you all realize how well we got it? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Bob, the funny thing is I have a winter truck to drive, but I was picking the V up from ...
    Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Re: Do you all realize how well we got it?

Bob, the funny thing is I have a winter truck to drive, but I was picking the V up from getting serviced and that was the only reason I had it out yesterday. Hind sight I should have kept the loaner one more day and just paid for the extra day myself.

Live and learn. I had a similar experience with my 87 Rustang GT back 20 years ago. Not pretty and I vowed never to go through that again and what do you know, it happend again.

Good thoughts on the S4 tires, do you guys have hills and fairly steep inclines where you live? That's what just killed me.

zman1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 GT-R R.I.P. 09 CTS-V R.I.P. 06 STS-V & 05 CTS-V

i have the pirelli winter tires on the rears and blizzaks on the front...so far so good for me.

Slo-Mo-Shun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V; TopKart Flash 125 Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    I've been looking at various tires (knowing it will be coming soon enough) and the Advan will probably be the way I go. But the F1 All Seasons do not come in our stock rear size, best width is 255 in a 19. Which has got me wondering how much effect / different it would be to run 255s in the front and the rear as this opens up all kinds of possibilities for tires.
    As you go down in width but maintain the same aspect ratio, the diameter also decreases. Diameter wise, you need a 245/45-19 to match the stock rear diameter.

It is questionable how much, if any, performance would be lost by going to this size. Your contact patch will NOT get smaller. Tread width is irrelevant to contact patch size; only the shape will change. Much of the reason for mfg's putting these extreme aspect ratios and widths on the cars is cosmetic: the public wants this look so Cadillac is giving it to us. If Mr. Heinracy was left to choose tires strictly on what got the STS-V around the Nurburgring fastest, it's far from guarnanteed that he'd go with what's oem right now.

mocts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6 SOLD!Now SAAB 9-3(me), CTS Wagon(mom), STS 3.6(dad)

what are you comparing the 9-3 to? i just sold my 04 cts for an 07 9-3 and the interior and quality and placement are light years ahead of my cts. loaners are kept in horrible condition so that may make it seem much worse. everyone who has sat in my 9-3 and my old cts say the 9-3 looks and feels soo much better. yes the engine is small but its peppy enough with a turbo and 35mpg on the highway is something im happy i get. yes i can see some places where it is cheap but remember this car is supposed to go against cars like a acura tsx and other fwd near luxury cars.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by mocts View Post
    what are you comparing the 9-3 to?
    Look up at what forum you are posting in.

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    Look up at what forum you are posting in.
    i know that, i just assumed he was saying overall the car was bad. you cant compare a 9-3 to an sts, my mom has a regular sts and you cant even compare it with that. the price between my 9-3 and a sts-v is more than $44,000 which just shows these cars are totally two different animals. for the price i paid for my 9-3 i honestly think that no car can touch it.

There is no perfect car. Tomorrow I'll be taking a load of cub scouts up to aski area for a day of innertubing. The V will be in the garage and my trusty-but-boring FWD Park Avenue will do duty. I wouldn't consider the V for that job even if it had winter tires on it, but which car do you think I'd take into the mountains on a nice spring day?

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Quote Originally Posted by mocts View Post
    i know that, i just assumed he was saying overall the car was bad. you cant compare a 9-3 to an sts, my mom has a regular sts and you cant even compare it with that. the price between my 9-3 and a sts-v is more than $44,000 which just shows these cars are totally two different animals. for the price i paid for my 9-3 i honestly think that no car can touch it.
    Wow. As I said originally, I have owned lots and lots of cars and I'm not really comparing the 9-3 directly to the V, but still compared to even the CTS or even to my Ford Explorer Sport Trac, I'd take either over it. Yeah, I know loaners are beaten, still the flimsly door was not because it was a loaner, the uncomforable seats and lack of power were not because it was a loaner either. Compared to a ton of other cars, I was really disappointed in the Saab.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-Mo-Shun View Post

It is questionable how much, if any, performance would be lost by going to this size. Your contact patch will NOT get smaller. Tread width is irrelevant to contact patch size; only the shape will change. Much of the reason for mfg's putting these extreme aspect ratios and widths on the cars is cosmetic: the public wants this look so Cadillac is giving it to us. If Mr. Heinracy was left to choose tires strictly on what got the STS-V around the Nurburgring fastest, it's far from guarnanteed that he'd go with what's oem right now.
    Eh? Come again? I'm no engineer, but a wider tire on a wider rim = more contact patch. Why else would the 'vette's rear tires and wheels grow in width as the power rises (or for that matter the Viper, any dragster, etc, etc...). Drive a car with 275s through a puddle and measure the width of the wet tire mark it leaves, then do the same with 245s- it will be smaller. Lower aspect ratios are also chosen to reduce sidewall flex under cornering loads.

I must have misunderstood your post.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    Eh? Come again? I'm no engineer, but a wider tire on a wider rim = more contact patch.
    Nope. Contact patch is purely a function of vehicle weight and tire pressure. Example: Assuming equal weight distribution on all 4 corners, a 4000 pound car with tires inflated to 30psi will have a contact patch of 4000 divided by 4 divided by 30 = 33.33 square inches of contact patch on each tire. Put another way, that 30 psi of air pressure will only support 30 pounds of car on each square inch of tire.

Your example was correct, but incomplete. Yes, the contact patch on the wider tire will be wider but it will not be as LONG. As I said, only the shape, not the size, changes.

This algorythm is accurate until the sidewall compresses to a line tangent to the wheel, i.e., until you start riding on the rim.

As for why wider tires are "better" for high peformance cars, this is an interesting question. The physics of how tire perform in the real world don't track very well with Newton's classic friction formula and I have to admit that I don't understand much of what is happening. There are reasons why wide tires with low aspect ratios work well in racing situations. How much of that is relevant to day-to-day street use is questionable, and I have a certain amount of skeptism about these big wheel and tire packages and how much they really do for us.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

I like the 9-3 more than most cars in its price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    I like the 9-3 more than most cars in its price range.
    for sure. i got a brand new one for 23k. thats barely a camry with a couple of options.

btw the power for that car imo is similar to my old cts but much more efficient so i dont think its a slouch. passing up is effortless, and 221lb ft. at 2500 rpm is more than enough in a car that size. most likely you are going to think its underpowered when you drive a car that has more than double its power. if you think the 9-3 in underpowered check out the tsx, feels like it has no torque.

hd750 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I got stuck going down hill in shopping center going over a speed bump! No more snow trips.

zman1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 GT-R R.I.P. 09 CTS-V R.I.P. 06 STS-V & 05 CTS-V

hey hd750.....what part of Pittsburgh you from.....i am from Pittsburgh as well...

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

I may get my chance to "play" some tomorrow as the chance for freezing rain is in the forecast for the early morning and we're under a winter storm watch and I'm on the stock run-flats.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.