What is it about the rear ends, in these ?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, What is it about the rear ends, in these ? in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Sorry for the rant, but I had a 2004 CTS-V that went through 2 rear ends and left puddles of ...
    jdodman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS V (Then). 07 STS-V (Next), 11 CTS-V (Now)

What is it about the rear ends, in these ?

Sorry for the rant, but I had a 2004 CTS-V that went through 2 rear ends and left puddles of rear end differential fluid all over my garage. Cleaned it all up, turned in the car, got an STS-V 6 months ago and have NOT beat on the car at all, well when compared to the CTS-V.

Anyway, with 6k miles, I have a new puddle of rear end diff fluid on my garage floor...WTF ??

I did not do a search, but are these the same rear ends that were in the CTS-V ??? Are there known issues with these rear ends as well ??

Damn, I can't believe it..For some reason, I just assumed they worked out the bugs in the rear ends of these cars...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Re: What is it about the rear ends, in these POS ?

There's a new recall/fix. Contact your dealer.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,5143,695238794,00.html

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post

yup +1

F

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post

Jesda got you hooked up.

The fix should solve the issue.

edit- The F-man beat me to the punch

1fstkde is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 stsv. 2005 ctsv(r.i.p)

Re: What is it about the rear ends, in these ?

"unauthorized change to the pinion seal material".....i wonder if its the same manufacture that makes our front healdlights??? .....lol...

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Its Getrag, isnt it? Or is this seal not provided by the differential manufacturer?

Just an update to the saga.....
    Made an appointment for the stealership. Told them what was happening, they indicated they had it covered,knew all about the leaks, just bring it in.

Also. I neglected to mention another issue in the thread that is bothering me. Car has a loud vibration coming from the cat converter. Very loud
    when it is cold, but tones down a bit once hot.

Anyway, today I get a call (after 2 days at the shop) to come get my car. They ordered a 'rear end kit' for the multiple leaks they found, and
    a new cat converter as mine evidentially collapsed the internals ??? I have to drop the car off for another day, when the parts arrive.

Anyone hear of a cat converter that has to be replaced after 6k miles ?? And if they were aware of the rear end leaks from these cars, why didn't they
    just have the kits on the shelves ?

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

They don't build the cars "knowing" about the issues.
    When something like the diff leak comes up they do an investigation to find the cause. They found it a couple months ago, re-engineered a new design part and found a supplier to manufacture them, had some made, added them to their parts catalog and made orders to get stock in the distribution centers and got some to fill the shelves then released a bulletin, now they are preparing for a recall. I am not sure where that makes them negligent, by doing everything they can to rectify this problem. You can't make 300,000 seal kits overnight.
    I am getting so tired of people bashing GM because of something a subcontractor did I can't even describe what I am feeling at this point.

Yes I have heard of converters needing early replacement, probably due to a manufacturing issue as well.

Also, GM does have plenty of these parts "on the shelves" but GM dealers have to pay big money to keep
    GM parts sitting around waiting for you to need one. Most of this is controlled by computers that keep track of items that are actually sold. Since these new parts have never been sold... because they are a NEW design, your dealer may not have any on hand. They can overnight them or get them within a couple of days from their parts distribution centers. I am sure within the next few weeks they will have plenty.

Just because you don't know the answers doesn't mean everyone that works for GM or a dealership is a slacker.
    Relax and let your dealer handle it the best they can, I am sure they are making every effort to resolve your issues. If not, then find another dealer that will.

Although I can agree with the premise of your response, the fact that I worked for GM car assembly division for 15 years, coupled with the two 'whole' rear ends I went through on the 2004 CTS-V, must be what has me frustrated. I know a little more about cars than most, and I loved the CTS-V in spite of the wheel hop and run around I got for 2 rear ends. With
    all that I bought the STS-V.

For some reason, I just assumed Cadillac would have figured out by now, the 'weak link' in these cars IS the rear end. Both rear ends come from the same supplier (I believe).

How long do you rub coal hoping their is a diamond in there somewhere. If I were Cadillac, I would have either switch suppliers by now, or re-engineered an obvious POS, but what do I know.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by jdodman View Post
    How long do you rub coal hoping their is a diamond in there somewhere. If I were Cadillac, I would have either switch suppliers by now, or re-engineered an obvious POS, but what do I know.
    They have already, it's in the 09 CTS-V

Not near as many rears defunk in the STS-V as the 1st Gen CTS-V. The pinion seal issue sounds specific to a bad supplier and I seriously doubt GM will just eat this whole thing for them without making them pay in one form or another. As far as doing something new for the rears in the 1st gen CTS-V I just don't see that happening. GM is better off biding their time and replacing those that fail under warranty until each car no longer has a warranty to cover it vs the cost of a complete redesign and recall on a limited production vehicle. Certainly a wink link in the 1st gen design, but hopefully a lesson learned and solved in the 2nd generation that's coming. We'll see.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician

I'd agree the Getrag units are far from perfect.
    The point I was trying to make, that you seemed to understand, is that a leaking pinion seal isn't the reason the diffs are sub-par nor do they make the whole car junk.
    (as so many people have tried to attest recently)

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    They have already, it's in the 09 CTS-V

Not near as many rears defunk in the STS-V as the 1st Gen CTS-V. The pinion seal issue sounds specific to a bad supplier and I seriously doubt GM will just eat this whole thing for them without making them pay in one form or another. As far as doing something new for the rears in the 1st gen CTS-V I just don't see that happening. GM is better off biding their time and replacing those that fail under warranty until each car no longer has a warranty to cover it vs the cost of a complete redesign and recall on a limited production vehicle. Certainly a wink link in the 1st gen design, but hopefully a lesson learned and solved in the 2nd generation that's coming. We'll see.
    Remember the STSv has the frame connectors underneath it that keep torsion to a minimum, thus, keeping our drivelines straight and tight (ie, no blown rears). I too dumped my CTSv as a result of living on pins and needles wondering what would grenade next...it was a great idea of a car - implemented poorly. I feel boatloads more confidence in the STSv in regards to driveline issues since there are so many inherent NANNIES on or slushies...GM has limited our ability to thrash the rears via electronics....You just wont get as many failures. You can remove the nannies with available software...BUT then youre back in CTSv country regarding problems, and who wants that?

F

Believe me, if I thought the car was junk, it would not be in my garage.....

Now the huge pile of differential fluid on the floor in my garage, thats was has me pizzed off.

WillySTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I work at a Cadillac dealer and I have only seen 1 STS-V differential seal leak, so they must have improved it.

hubbel is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2008 XLR-V BLACK/W CHROME FACTORY WHEELS

At 6500 Miles My STS-V rear end was whining at about 30MPH...Service Manager took it for a ride and they replaced the complete rear end carrier as they call it and all is quiet now, never did show any leaking!
    H

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.