have to hear this...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, have to hear this... in Cadillac V-Series Forums; dont know if you guys remember when i had my front two headlights replaced because they where fogged up after ...
    1fstkde is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 stsv. 2005 ctsv(r.i.p)

have to hear this...

dont know if you guys remember when i had my front two headlights replaced because they where fogged up after a rare rainstorm in los angeles. anyways another rainstorm hits us and once again BOTH HEADLIGHT ARE FOGGED UP!! so i bring it to the dealer to show them and they said they are going to call corporate to get an ok to replace them again. so im waiting for about half hour then the manager comes and tells me that they wont replace them because they were replaced already.... then hands me a brochure telling me that condensation in the lights is normal and should clear up from 2 to 6 hours..you guys have to look at mine and tell me is this normal?? im the only jackass on the road that has this crap in the headlights!! this isnt normal condensation..you actuaaly can see water droplets inside..last time it took me 10 days to clear it up..what makes me mad is how corporate handled it..you guys tell me what i should do..
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Re: have to hear this...

go back after 2-6 hours when they dont clear up

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

+1 above....PLUS, you drive a nearly 80K car....bitch like a mother****er and get em replaced.

F

VelocitySTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS V '06

How about trying another dealer?

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Confucius say- If this common thing under such circumstances then many STS's on dealership lot should also suffer from same condition. Take Service Advisor / Manager on a walk of the lot and let them show you they are right or wrong.

WillySTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

I did that with a customer, and found 6 other cars with it on a rainy day, not including my own.

They are usually replaced on a onetime goodwill basis, especially if GM has published documentation saying that it is normal. If any dealer replaces them being notified that it is normal, they will be charged back for the repair unless they were directed to do so by someone from GM, Tech Assistance or Zone Rep,etc...

Oh, I agree with you guys, it is not a pretty sight, but it is very common with those type of headlights.

Please don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger giving you all the info that we have to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by WillySTS View Post
    I did that with a customer, and found 6 other cars with it on a rainy day, not including my own.

They are usually replaced on a onetime goodwill basis, especially if GM has published documentation saying that it is normal. If any dealer replaces them being notified that it is normal, they will be charged back for the repair unless they were directed to do so by someone from GM, Tech Assistance or Zone Rep,etc...

Oh, I agree with you guys, it is not a pretty sight, but it is very common with those type of headlights.

Please don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger giving you all the info that we have to deal with.
    willie i wont shoot you!! your the only one out there that i like!! i brought my car this time to lou elers because its closer to my house. anyways this has to be a defective product!! only on the sts-v..my ctsv never had this problem. i think they must be getting there lights made in some sweat shop somewhere. i can handle if it was only a day, but to drive for a week to ten days is nuts!! and embarrasing.

CadillacSTS42005 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant

common among the Seville boys
    bakem in the oven for a little at VERY low temp to kill the moisture
    then be sure to use a nice epoxy or sealant on all seams

drill holes on the bottom if you so choose to act as drains

Slo-Mo-Shun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V; TopKart Flash 125 Shifter

I'll offer a simple fix that worked when I had a similar problem on the right headlight module of my 2000 Buick. I pulled the module and inspected the seal between the clear cover and the body of the module. I spotted a single rough spot in the seal, about 1" along the length of it. I liberally coated that area with some clear household glue/sealent (tradename "GOOP" I think) and the problem has never returned. This was 4 years ago and I live in the soaking wet Pacific Northwest.

There is a small amount of condensation on the lower insides of both my STS headlights. Just noticed it today and was thinking I'd have to repeat the above process with the Caddy. Hopefully, the modules will be as easy to remove as on the Buick, which only required removing one or two screws and unplugging the electrical connectors.

John Blaze is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 STS V

You can always revert back to the old days to get things done right!

Sometime it works. Atleast for me it does.

your Cadillac Dealer and D3 <<<<<<<<<<

JB

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 MN6 V Coupe, 2015i Escalade on Order

My passenger side headlamp fogged up and did NOT clear up for two days. I took it to Silver Star Cadillac in Thousand Oaks last week and they replaced it, no questions asked. The bottom seal of my passenger side headlamp was not sealing properly and wasn't sitting properly where the bottom of the headlamp meets the front bumper.

Take the car to Silver Star Cadillac in Thousand Oaks. I know its a far drive. I drove 35 miles to go there because their service department goes the extra mile to make sure Cadillac customers are happy. I have been to several other dealers in the area and Silver Star's customer service is much better.

Ask for Jorge. He is the best service advisor there.

SG

Quote Originally Posted by AERO1 View Post
    My passenger side headlamp fogged up and did NOT clear up for two days. I took it to Silver Star Cadillac in Thousand Oaks last week and they replaced it, no questions asked. The bottom seal of my passenger side headlamp was not sealing properly and wasn't sitting properly where the bottom of the headlamp meets the front bumper.

Take the car to Silver Star Cadillac in Thousand Oaks. I know its a far drive. I drove 35 miles to go there because their service department goes the extra mile to make sure Cadillac customers are happy. I have been to several other dealers in the area and Silver Star's customer service is much better.

Ask for Jorge. He is the best service advisor there.

SG
    thxs, but for some reason like whillie said if it was replaced once already it doesnt make a difference where i take it they wont warranty a duplicate replacement. so basically i drive a 80k car and depending on the humidity factor and how much i drive or leave my lights on its a mystery how long it could take to clear up. there alot of HID lights out there and none are like mine~!! cadi better find a new distributor or im not going to deal with this crap in 09..

flyingv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V 6MT

I just went through this problem with my 06 z06 corvette. Drove in the Los Angeles rain for two days and the lights looked like fish tanks. Took the car to Rydell on Van Nuys Blvd and they replaced both lights per warranty, and paid for the rental car (no argument required). I don't recommend any customization to the lights. HID lights are very sensitive to moisture & dirt, that's why they are sealed units. I would also recommend taking the car to Casa de Cadillac on Ventura Blvd for all your service. That's where I take my STS-V, talk to service writer Larry G., he has been the best to deal with. Good luck.

Slo-Mo-Shun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V; TopKart Flash 125 Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by flyingv View Post
    I don't recommend any customization to the lights. HID lights are very sensitive to moisture & dirt, that's why they are sealed units.

Having disassemble and rebuilt HID light units, I have to strongly disagree with that statement. I have not found them to be any more sensitive than standard halogens. Certainly dirt, water, etc. will be hard on any electrical equipment, especially when it gets hot.

The fix I recommended above takes all of about 20 minutes. I know this bumper-to-bumper warranty stuff is nice and its great to be able to hand stuff off to someone else, but jeez guys, a 12 year old could handle this one and you'll loose more money and time screwing around with the dealer than it is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-Mo-Shun View Post
    Having disassemble and rebuilt HID light units, I have to strongly disagree with that statement. I have not found them to be any more sensitive than standard halogens. Certainly dirt, water, etc. will be hard on any electrical equipment, especially when it gets hot.

The fix I recommended above takes all of about 20 minutes. I know this bumper-to-bumper warranty stuff is nice and its great to be able to hand stuff off to someone else, but jeez guys, a 12 year old could handle this one and you'll loose more money and time screwing around with the dealer than it is worth.
    is it really that easy? i remember i changed one out on my ctsv and had to remove the grill....let alone to change and fix two?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.