have to hear this... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, have to hear this... in Cadillac V-Series Forums; I haven't really looked at the STS and might be guilty of overstating the case. I was basing my statement ...
    Slo-Mo-Shun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V; TopKart Flash 125 Shifter

Re: have to hear this...

I haven't really looked at the STS and might be guilty of overstating the case. I was basing my statement on having done "surgery" on the headlamp modules of other cars. The Buick and my Dodge Ram just involved removing a single, relatively easily accessible screw. I have an older BMW with HID's that is a bit more involved, but still can be done with nothing other than a phillips screw driver. Admittedly, the Buick and Dodge have a lot of room in the engine compartment. The BMW is a V12 and has none. The STS probably is closer to the BMW.

BTW, I don't agree with the advice to drill holes to let the water out. And if you bake the modules to get the water out, be very careful about temp, because baking is exactly what i did to break the seal on the BMW's headlamp units. Personally, I'd just let 'em dry naturally and then smear polymer sealent or expoxy around the perimeter of the seal.

Imperator is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Light Platinum STS-V - 2005 Black Raven CTS-V (gone)

I've found the moisture/fogging issue as a "normal" flaw of the STS, so don't think your car is an exception. I have noticed the passenger side clears up much faster than the driver side, so I poked around and think I can put the blame on the rubberized "vents" at the rear of the headlamp housing.

These vents are designed to allow the inner housing to breathe, but prevent liquids from entering. You'll notice a black rubber "L-shaped" port at the rear of each headlamp housing with some foam stuffing inside. Every other car I've owned employed a one-way rubber stopper inside this vent, so maybe Cadillac's supplier is to blame on this small, cheap part.

During rainstorms and other times where the atmosphere is saturated, the air inside the headlight housing becomes trapped and does not quickly equalize with the drying air outside the housing. When combined with the high internal temperatures from the HID capsule, condensation forms inside the housing and collects near the bottom, where there is no vent nearby to help the moisture evaporate.

I've found that if the housing doesn't quickly clear up, you can simply remove the rubber vent elbows at the rear of the headlamp housing to open up a larger air passage inside, and speed up the "venting" process. I'd only recommend doing this in dry conditions when humidity levels have decreased. The act of driving the car with these passages opened will also aid the drying process, as underhood temperatures increase and air is circulated through the engine compartment while the car is moving. However, be extremely careful not to splash through puddles or risk any grit/foreign material from entering this unblocked vent. A day or two is all you need with the vent elbows removed. They're keyed so that the rubberized elbow must be pointing down as you insert them back into the housing.

Hope this helps, as I have found the same exact problem on my car.

1fstkde is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 stsv. 2005 ctsv(r.i.p)

just found out that the part numbers are different for the front lights between the sts, and the stsv..that's why the service people dont see much of this problem..

Southern is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird

IF you think that it affects the safety of your vehicle (And I would assume it does), than file a complaint with the NHTSA. In the end if there are a few to many complaints, and Caddy says they won't fix it, it will end up being a directed recall.
    I was part of a Group that got a voluntary Recall, based on NHTSA's "suggestion", on another cars Alternator.
    The process DOES work.
    Seems to me that if the problem is design related, the cars in places like LA and NJ must havethis problem a lot.....

We seem to have this problem on a couple of 08 CTs'.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/portal/site...cf37490008a0c/

well I guess they will finally fix my problem. they wont replace them, just fix them. Must be a seal issue and they finally figured what to do about it..

Slo-Mo-Shun is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V; TopKart Flash 125 Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by 1fstkde View Post
    well I guess they will finally fix my problem. they wont replace them, just fix them. Must be a seal issue and they finally figured what to do about it..

Please find out what is done to "fix" the problem and post the solution. It looks like many of us have the problem and if there's a fix, we might as well get it while the warranty is still good.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-Mo-Shun View Post
    Please find out what is done to "fix" the problem and post the solution. It looks like many of us have the problem and if there's a fix, we might as well get it while the warranty is still good.
    i cant bring my car in until next week, but after its done ill give you guys an update. can you imagin the lights are still fogged up with water after 10 days....

pjbizjak is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 07 STS w/1SG Pkg

Moisture, condensation..........BS. I had a 1993 STS and the rear tail lights would fog up after a rain or when I washed the car. I took the car in to my dealer for an unrelated problem and he noticed the tail lights and told me that there was a problem with the tail lights fogging up and they would replace them at no charge, and so they did and I never had the problem again. So not replacing them and giving some lame excuse is GM's way of screwing the little guy. Keep fighting this problem and something will give. I have a 07 STS and will be watching for any head light problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-Mo-Shun View Post
    finally got them replaced. they said that they couldn't fix them, so they battled back and forth with someone at gm and got the ok to replace them again. so hopefully the next rainstorm hits Los Angeles they hold up. by the way there must be a big issue about this because my dealer received another bulletin regarding fogged up headlights. basically stating what qualifies replacement or not.

MauiV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Tis Gone :(

Are any of you using pressure washers or high pressure drive thru washes on your cars?

The high pressure water is one of the easiest and most common ways to crack the seals on lights.

One of the reverse lights on my CTS V got condensation in it and the dealer replaced the whole panel on the trunklid. I did have great experiences with my dealer but my last problem has turned me a bit and I may try the other big Cadi dealer in the area next time just to feel them out.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiV View Post
    Are any of you using pressure washers or high pressure drive thru washes on your cars?

The high pressure water is one of the easiest and most common ways to crack the seals on lights.

One of the reverse lights on my CTS V got condensation in it and the dealer replaced the whole panel on the trunklid. I did have great experiences with my dealer but my last problem has turned me a bit and I may try the other big Cadi dealer in the area next time just to feel them out.
    nope not me..but i might be the only one parking it outside in the rain..?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.