Possibly purchasing STS-V... opinions/comments please
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Possibly purchasing STS-V... opinions/comments please in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Hey guys, I am thinking of purchasing an STS-V... The car has 15k miles on it and is for sale ...
    MikeyVSeries is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS-V (White Diamond)

Possibly purchasing STS-V... opinions/comments please

Hey guys, I am thinking of purchasing an STS-V... The car has 15k miles on it and is for sale by a Cadillac Dealer, it was a trade in towards an XLR-V.

Anyways, I like a car that handles well, but has alot of power.

Ive had a suprcharged z06, Mercedes CL 600 (non TT - it was a 2002)
    350z, sti, 04 e55 amg, audi s4 V8 toyota supra, and a E46 BMW M3.. to name some of the recent cars I have owned.

I've contemplated now and again purchasing a cts-v.. and have driven a few.

How is this car different handling/throttle response to the cts-v?

Also, what are the services like on this car? I know with mercedes, it goes service a through like h and they are every 10k miles.. and BMW does service intervals every 15k miles with Service 1 and 2 and are quite expensive depending on which service.

Is this car any different than a standard V8 STS maintenance wise?

How long do most of you see brake pad/rotor life and tire life on the stock tires?

Thanks for answering some of my question and giving your opinion

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

Re: Possibly purchasing STS-V... opinions/comments please

Quote Originally Posted by CTSXtreme View Post
    Hey guys, I am thinking of purchasing an STS-V... The car has 15k miles on it and is for sale by a Cadillac Dealer, it was a trade in towards an XLR-V.

Anyways, I like a car that handles well, but has alot of power.

Ive had a suprcharged z06, Mercedes CL 600 (non TT - it was a 2002)
    350z, sti, 04 e55 amg, audi s4 V8 toyota supra, and a E46 BMW M3.. to name some of the recent cars I have owned.

I've contemplated now and again purchasing a cts-v.. and have driven a few.

How is this car different handling/throttle response to the cts-v?

Also, what are the services like on this car? I know with mercedes, it goes service a through like h and they are every 10k miles.. and BMW does service intervals every 15k miles with Service 1 and 2 and are quite expensive depending on which service.

Is this car any different than a standard V8 STS maintenance wise?

How long do most of you see brake pad/rotor life and tire life on the stock tires?

Thanks for answering some of my question and giving your opinion

This car is no CTS-V, thats for sure. But thats exactly why I traded up from my CTS-V. The CTS-V as you know is a pushrod that you can really tweak w/mods if you so desire. Not so with the STS-V. Even a pulley swap is difficult due to the setup of the stock pulley and the way its mfgd. Handling is a bit boatier than the CTS-V cause its heavier than the smaller Caddy. If you dont like to shift, then the STS-V may be for you. Straight line acceleration is great, if you keep your toe into it, expect shitty mileage. Brake pad life? Change the stockers asap to Hawks. Youll see equal if not better performance and about 95% less dust. No rotor issues yet at 20K miles. They look like new. Maintenance has be 1/10th the issue it was w/the CTSV. Just not as much stuff to go wrong. The 6L80 tranny is bulletproof and the rear is a non-issue so far. The biggest problem w/the STS-v is ALL THE NANNIES! Get a tuner to disable your speed limiter, bump up your revs, adjust your a/f ratios and make your shifts quicker and youre in business.

F

MikeyVSeries is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS-V (White Diamond)

Quote Originally Posted by Florian View Post
    This car is no CTS-V, thats for sure. But thats exactly why I traded up from my CTS-V. The CTS-V as you know is a pushrod that you can really tweak w/mods if you so desire. Not so with the STS-V. Even a pulley swap is difficult due to the setup of the stock pulley and the way its mfgd. Handling is a bit boatier than the CTS-V cause its heavier than the smaller Caddy. If you dont like to shift, then the STS-V may be for you. Straight line acceleration is great, if you keep your toe into it, expect shitty mileage. Brake pad life? Change the stockers asap to Hawks. Youll see equal if not better performance and about 95% less dust. No rotor issues yet at 20K miles. They look like new. Maintenance has be 1/10th the issue it was w/the CTSV. Just not as much stuff to go wrong. The 6L80 tranny is bulletproof and the rear is a non-issue so far. The biggest problem w/the STS-v is ALL THE NANNIES! Get a tuner to disable your speed limiter, bump up your revs, adjust your a/f ratios and make your shifts quicker and youre in business.

F

Thanks for the reply. One thing to add: Has is the maintenance for the car? How often are oil changes needed? How long are service intervals?

harryctsv is offline Banned

Thanks for the reply. One thing to add: Has is the maintenance for the car? How often are oil changes needed? How long are service intervals?
    Hi CTSXtreme,
    here in Germany we do oil change all 15.000 km (about 9.000) miles and service all 30.000 km (about 18.000) miles.
    But don`t forget, we drive this cars much faster then you do in the US. so I would say these numbers for oil-change and service would be good for you too.

Merry Christmas

Harry

I change mine every 5K miles... Service intervals...Id have to check my owners manual.

F

Silver Dollar is offline Das jus fo decorations
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

... The biggest problem w/the STS-v is ALL THE NANNIES! ....F
    What F means is you'll be beating all the Nannies you'll be attracting off with a stick.

not your best effort, SD. (Ill be youve tapped all those fossils BTW)

F

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

The car uses Mobil 1 synthetic (stock) and has an oil life service monitor to inform the owner when it's time to change the oil again, IF the owner chooses to follow it and not simply change it at some fixed interval, like 5K miles. The oil life service monitor is supposed to take into account the conditions under which the car is driven, not simply a mileage count. I haven't made it to my first change yet as I've only put 1500 miles on the car so far, but the monitor is at like 82% left right now. In most cases I would think one should expect to get at least 5K miles between changes. No real service checks begin to occur until 25-30K miles. If you look at the maintenance schedule starting on page 6-6 you'll see the major intervals and what's called for.

https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2cont...ac/2006sts.pdf

Silver Dollar is offline Das jus fo decorations
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

not your best effort, SD.......

F
    Thanks, I'll work on it

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Dollar View Post
    Thanks, I'll work on it
    I really expected a Preparation H joke, maybe something to do with fiber....

F

pjbizjak is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 07 STS w/1SG Pkg

Don't waste your money on oil changes every 3k miles. Monitor the 'oil life index' and change when it says so. This info was given to me by a Caddillac service manager.

pjbizjak is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 07 STS w/1SG Pkg

See if the Cadillac dealer will 'certify' the car, it's worth it also be prepared to spend alot of money on tires because it's hard to keep from 'tromping' on it all the time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.