Won't start....again
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Won't start....again in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Its a little chilly here in Atlanta this morning, about 30. This is the 4th time my car won't start ...
    thefred is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Won't start....again

Its a little chilly here in Atlanta this morning, about 30. This is the 4th time my car won't start (and its in a garage). Usually, I have been able to get it started with a jump box. No deal today. Couldn't even get it started from another car. Waiting for Cadillac Roadside service....Is this battery going bad already? Anyone else have battery problems? Ewill-any known battery issues?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Fire and Ice is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: Won't start....again

Often times car batteries die when the weather changes. Working at a dealership for years, we usually had a string of 3 or 4 cars come in with dead batteries when the weather changed. It could be nothing, but have the dealership (or whoever you take it to) do a load test on the battery to see if the cells are good. Best of luck.

Craig

dhemrick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Formerly 06 STS-V, now 13 XTS

Just out of curiosity, do you have any accessories plugged in like a radar detector? I found out the hard way that the accessory power outlets do not ever turn off and I ran my battery down while the car was sitting for several days with the radar detector plugged in. Granted, it should not run down overnight, but that may be a contributing factor.

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Nope, no problems with starting and we are cold up here in PA right now.

Quote Originally Posted by dhemrick View Post
    Just out of curiosity, do you have any accessories plugged in like a radar detector? I found out the hard way that the accessory power outlets do not ever turn off and I ran my battery down while the car was sitting for several days with the radar detector plugged in. Granted, it should not run down overnight, but that may be a contributing factor.
    I learned that trick the hard way in August when I left the car at the airport for a few days with my phone charger plugged in. I keep nothing plugged in now.

So, I tried to get it started with a jump box. No go. I tried my wife's car. No go. OnStar/Caddy Roadside sends guy with jumpbox. No go. Sends flatbed. Car is backed into garage and he has no dollies to slide car out. Says let try to jump it one more time. It starts.

Caddy Roadside in the meantime calls the dealer and lets them know its coming and they say it could be the battery and they will have a car ready for me. So, I drop it off and leave in the new CTS. Here's the catch. They will only give me the rental car for one day. And I just spoke with them and they said they had not gotten a chance to get to my car yet. So, as of 11:30am tomorrow, the rental is on my dime?? Hopefully, that will get worked out too. Anyone else have that situation about the 1 day rental?

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

The dealership should have a loaner for you. Possibly only allowing a rental for a day until they can get you in a loaner ?

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    The dealership should have a loaner for you. Possibly only allowing a rental for a day until they can get you in a loaner ?
    Nice avatar. Falling right into that stereotype, huh?
    The rental is their loaner. They have a Hertz desk inside the dealership. I hvae seen this at several dealerships. Is this a rare occurrence and I just happen to find the dealers that have this?

NC STS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by thefred View Post
    The rental is their loaner. They have a Hertz desk inside the dealership. I hvae seen this at several dealerships. Is this a rare occurrence and I just happen to find the dealers that have this?
    I've seen the same thing here. Local Cadi dealer has a couple of loaners and after that they use Enterprise. They normally try and get Cadi customers a DTS, but last time I had the car in I ended up with a Pontiac G4. Couldn't really complain as I dropped the car off without an appointment and they took me right in and got it fixed.

I suppose if it is the battery and it isn't covered under warranty then the dealer could expect you to cover the rental. My understanding is that they provide loaners for warranty work only, but I don't know that for sure.

My local dealerships, Sewell and Crest, both have loaner "fleets" mostly comprised of base model CTSs.

I got a call this morning that they were going to put in a new battery. But, I would think this would be warranty since the batteries usually have a warranty period too, but I don't know. Also, he said that they found the rear pinion seal leaking and they are going to repleace it under warranty. Anyone else have that one?

dhemrick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Formerly 06 STS-V, now 13 XTS

A buddy of mine bought a new Mustang on the exact same day I bought my STS-V (write your own joke here). His battery failed under warranty and actually leaked and caused corrosion that ate up the battery terminal and part of the wiring harness.

They replaced his battery and the whole wiring harness for free under warranty. I wouldn't see why you should expect any less from Cadillac.

Battery replaced. Pionion seal replaced. All paid by warranty. And, no charge for the rental. A good dealership experience. And, I very happy to be able to say that!!

Oh yeah, my service guy called and said "you're tires are shot." They did congratulate me on getting 18000 miles out of them though. I told him I was deciding between the runflats or not and he said they can't sell me non-runflats, but they can sell me runflats for about $2100. The accessory guy told me that if I bought tires somewhere else they would have their guy put them on for me (which might prevent TPMS problems).

I guess I am having analysis paralysis deciding which tire to go with......but I have to make a decision soon or I'll be riding on air!

Yeah the dealerships generally won't put on anything non-OEM. You can go and get non-run flat tires, but as I initially looked there's still not a large selection in our stock sizes. However Tire Rack nad or Discount Tire should be a little cheaper. How long has it taken you (time wise) to reach 18K on them ?

It appears that there is a large contingency that loves the GSD3s. I bought my car in Feb/Mar with 9,000 miles. I put the other 9,000 on since then.

bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

GSD3s are great for summer, but as soon as the temp went under 40F for good here in Chicago, I switched over to the ADVAN S4 set. Dealer swapped the rims (tires already mounted at Discount tires with a full set of TPMS) AND reset the TPMS for $35. Great deal - 30 minutes in and out and no worries about the tire pressures.

Bob

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.