Won't start....again - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac STS-V Series Forum Discussion, Won't start....again in Cadillac V-Series Forums; Originally Posted by bobs-sts-v GSD3s are great for summer, but as soon as the temp went under 40F for good ...
    thefred is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V

Re: Won't start....again

Quote Originally Posted by bobs-sts-v View Post
    GSD3s are great for summer, but as soon as the temp went under 40F for good here in Chicago, I switched over to the ADVAN S4 set. Dealer swapped the rims (tires already mounted at Discount tires with a full set of TPMS) AND reset the TPMS for $35. Great deal - 30 minutes in and out and no worries about the tire pressures.

Bob
    Ahhhhh, the essence of my analysis paralysis. I am only buying one set of tires. I don't need to drive in the snow, but it is often less than 40 in the mornings here. Here's a question for those who know.....which tire is better (tractionwise) under 40 degrees..the GSD3s to the OEM's?

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Quote Originally Posted by thefred View Post
    Ahhhhh, the essence of my analysis paralysis. I am only buying one set of tires. I don't need to drive in the snow, but it is often less than 40 in the mornings here. Here's a question for those who know.....which tire is better (tractionwise) under 40 degrees..the GSD3s to the OEM's?
    The OEM tires have a bit more traction in the cold, but not much. I decided to put on GSD3s even though we get cold here in PA. I have noticed that they lose a bit of traction when starting out, but in cornering I have not noticed much difference. I do take it much easier in the cold than I do in the summer, so I am sure that has something to do with it also.

And my dealer bought and installed the GSD3s with no hesitation.

Get the GSD3s.

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

You have 3 choices and being in Atlanta you should not really worry about cold temp problems. I have never bought cold weather tires.
    Matching sets in stock sizes Non-Run-Flat
    1) GSD3's
    2) Toyo T1-R (my personal preference based on having run both GSD3's and T-1R's)

Run-Flat
    3) Stock Crappy Pirelli run Flats (Ditch them and never go back)

So to those that ditched the runflats, what are you doing for a spare or what will you do if you get a flat?

Onstar button or pump it up and haul ass to the tire store real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEELVISDAN View Post
    Onstar button or pump it up and haul ass to the tire store real quick.
    If its dead flat, can you really ask OnStar to bring you out a tire/wheel or more likely I guess you're looking at a tow? Or better yet, I'll call you, you can ride over, we'll pull one of your wheels off, put it on mine, I'll drive to the tire store, get mine fixed and bring yours back. Good idea?

I Think you can. My Denali didn't come with Run-Flats and if I get a flat I think they will help out So the V should be no different just because it came with RunFlats. BUT if you have the need at any time give me a holler and I will come help out if I am in or near the area. With 6 stores across North Atlanta I should have you covered since I am always at one or the other.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Late again, busy time of year for me.
    The only "known" battery issues are that batteries go bad from time to time.
    Delco batteries don't like to be "deep cycled". If they go dead you have to charge them hard and fast if you want them to live again. Sometimes they never come back well.
    They are great at holding what I refer to as a "surface charge". Basically if you never let the battery go low and use the car regularly the batteries seem to last for a good long time, if it goes dead a lot from a drain or leaving the radio on too long, or sits for a really long time it will live a shorter life.
    Most new models are going to a top post design, Delco is getting away from side terminal batteries because of all the problems they have had over the last decade.
    So now they'll have problems with top post batteries instead

Glad they got it fixed.

I advise my customers to stick with a run flat tire or equip the car with a spare if they don't want to.

bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    I advise my customers to stick with a run flat tire or equip the car with a spare if they don't want to.
    Just curious what spare you would recommend for a car with staggered wheels (18" front/19" rear)? And where would we put it?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobs-sts-v View Post
    Just curious what spare you would recommend for a car with staggered wheels (18" front/19" rear)? And where would we put it?

Bob
    I had not thought of that. Great question!

Uh oh.... I think i wasn't looking at where I was posting. DOH!
    Maybe instead just be sure you have a AAA card?

When I said that I was thinking of the tire well in the CTS-V and how you can put a tire/wheel in there if you buy the stuff.
    Not having paid attention, is there no form of a tire well in the back of the STS-V?

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    Not having paid attention, is there no form of a tire well in the back of the STS-V?

It has the well and tub like the CTS-V, but I think the question is focusing more on the point that the STS-V has 19's in the back and 18's in the front, so what spare does one keep in the car ? (assuming the tub does hold a 19" wheel and tire.)

I think Cadillac roadside or AAA is going to be the answer.

Most ABS systems are designe to recognize a econo spare.
    My advice if you want to try it would be to get a donut out of a salvage STS with the hardware or something like that if you really don't want to spend the $$$ on the run flats.

I guess my real point was to get run flats if you can afford it.

bobs-sts-v is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): STS-V

Price isn't really the issue with the run flats - its performance and handling. I actually have 2 sets of rims mounted with summer and winter tires. (So technically I have a full set of spares!) So price really isn't the problem - except maybe for the fact that NO ONE gets more than about 18,000 miles on the Pirellis.

As for the space in the trunk, my tub has a center divider. I keep my golf shoes on one side, and hats, gloves, and even the scraper in the other. I dare say that there is no way to put a spare in my trunk, unless it just lays there on top. While that would be fine in the winter (when the clubs are in the garage), I don't have much room in there from late-April through October.

Bob

WillySTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I don't think a doughnut will fit over those massive V brakes, will it? I know it's not a full wheel it would need to be checked if one was to carry it around as a spare. I know a stock 17" wheel won't fit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.