Cadillac Owners Forum banner
6K views 47 replies 13 participants last post by  CIWS 
#1 ·
Just picked up an 06 STS-V and my Samsung U740 cell phone will not pair with the car. The phone sees the STS and the car sees the phone, but they will not communicate to do the actual pairing. The sales guy did pair his Razor with the car.

Anyone know of anything out there ?

#2 · (Edited)
First off, welcome to the right V! I had similar problems. As is turns out, GM has only three phones that they have tested to work with the car although some people have found success swith others. There are several threads on this topic...just they are in the STS forum and not the STS-V one. You may need to get the software update too. I'll see if I can find them and post them back here.....

Here you are....

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...luetooth-phones-work.html?highlight=bluetooth

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...5-beyond/112284-question-software-update.html

But, mostly, its hit or miss until you get it to sync. And once you get it to pair, make sure to set your phone to default in the car or you will have to tell the car to look for th phone every time you get in the car.

How do you like it so far?

#3 ·
Thanks man I appreciate the info. :) I did only search the V forum , but makes sense I should have included the STS forum as well. I have paired a couple of friends Motorola phones with the car, so I know it's my phone. Went to Verizon today and got a software flash, but still no dice. SO the Samsung U740 is a no go (bah)

Thanks again.

The car is great so far, and very fast. :D

#4 ·
Woah, what's up CIWS, you got an STS-V now? :highfive: Send me a PM, I'd love to meet up with you and check your car out. I had similar Bluetooth-pairing issues with my Treo 700wx, but was unsuccessful until I tried to pair in-reverse by starting with the Treo. If I can recall how I did it, there are actually two ways to pair a handset with the car. Sewell (Grapevine) did the firmware upgrade for me, BTW.

#5 ·
I would assume (yeah I know) that they would look at any updates when they prep the car to see if it needs them. However I did work this deal and take delivery rather quickly so possibly not. I'll have service see if there are any newer ones out.

I have tried pairing both ways and no dice. If I go to the phone from the car where you would need to enter the code on the phone, the phone never prompts to enter the code for the car. If I go the other way, it just says "connection terminated" or something like that and it never works.

We'll definately have to hook up and get a pic of them together. :)

#6 ·
I assume this is a certified or used car?
I seriously doubt they would check the radio software, they probably hit the power button to see if it came on.

'06 is subject to the software update in this TSB.
Voice Recognition System Performs Poorly, Memory Seat Function Operation Complicated, Navigation Radio Screen Locks Up, Map DVD Message Displayed, Telephone Number Not Dialed via Bluetooth #05-08-126-001B - (03/28/2007)
There is nothing in that bulletin that indicates it can resolve possible pairing issues.
Yes GM has only qualified like 3 phones to work with this car, sad but true.

Reactions: CIWS
#8 ·
Also it must need that flash because yesterday I had the Nav / Radio screen stop functioning when I got back in the car with the Verizon person to try and figure out the bluetooth thing and what phone could work when I stopped by a Verizon Store. Rather embarrasing to get in the car with someone like that and suddenly the Radio/Nav screen doesn't work on a "new" car. After I got back home and the car sat for about 15 minutes it started working again.

#9 ·
They will need the disc set.
If they don't already have it and you aren't having them look at anything else, tell them to order it and you'll bring the car back.
It takes a long time to make it to the shop via snail mail.
I keep the disc set in my desk at work in the event I need it.
Anyplace else it will get lost!

They have to check the hex code in the radio itself with the tech 2, the bulletin outlines outdated software versions. They should check the software and order the discs if they don't have them already.
The TSB has ordering information I think.
The first set is free to the dealer, after that they have to pay $$$$

#13 ·
Well, lets put it this way. I had to take the car in and needed to wait a week for parts before they started. And, it was going to take them a couple of weeks once the parts got there. So, I told them to make sure they had the discs at the very beginning and they assured me that they had them. Fast forward a few weeks and they said they didn't have them and had to order them and were still waiting for them. They probably kept forgetting to order them and then blamed it on the mail! Its done now so all is well.....

#15 ·
I'd say it takes about 20 minutes for the unit to read the discs and load the updates into the radio.
After that they have to carefully follow the TSB instructions to "activate" the updates.
They load off the disc into memory and have to be run by commands from the Tech 2.
Some guys forget that step.
It should take less than an hour.
It will nuke everything in you have stored in the radio.
Write down what you want to keep. Presets and I think Nav info will all be wiped clean.

#16 ·
Does anyone have the version number of the updated software and instructions on how to pull that number from your nav unit?

The reason I ask is that I had mine upgraded about two months ago, and I want to make sure they did it right. I still have the problem where the radio fails to mute, and if they didn't really update it properly or updated to the wrong version, I'd like to know how to tell.

#18 ·
The only way to check the software version that I know of is on a Tech 2 screen.
One issue I have seen is that they load the software but they don't "activate" it so even though it is in the radio, it is not running on that software.
If you know someone with a Tech 2 I can get you the software version number.

#20 ·
Thanks, ewill3rd. I may take it back to my dealer who did the initial installation.

I have heard that the upgrade completely wipes out everything you have stored in your nav system like radio presets, custom points of interest, etc. When they did the upgrade, it did wipe out the radio presets, but all of my custom points of interest and voice tags were still there. I found that suspicious, but I had no way of proving or disproving that the upgrade had been activated.

This was on our STS-V, but I need to get our new (to us) 06 STS4 updated too. I know the dealer has the disks now so it should be fairly quick for them to do.

Thanks for the info!

#19 ·
Yeah the performance shop that did my CTS-V mod work has a Tech 2. I guess my normal service advisor was off today, but I'll try to reach them again tomorrow and see what they can find out about the dealership having the disks and knowing how to do the update.

#21 ·
Welcome CIWS! Regarding the bluetooth, I had no problem connecting to my Nextel Motorola phone. I love the bluetooth, it really works great.

#22 ·
It looks like the Motorola's work (as a general rule). I've just had problems with Motorola phones in the past, several models over the years, usually with charging and batteries. However I know my phone (Samsung) will not work period.

I never got a call back today from the service rep about the TSB and if they had the disks already.

#23 ·
There are two software packets that are loaded, they both have to be activated separately.
It is possible they activated one and not the other.
I am not sure on the ones I have done if the nav data is lost.
I do have one customer that I can email and ask him if he lost his nav stuff to be sure.
The only way to know if the updates have been run is to have them hook up the Tech 2 and read the ID numbers for the software.
(compare to TSB)
If I get a chance later I'll post more info from the TSB with the software ID numbers.

#25 ·
Had my car almost 2 full years now, and never had any problems with my Motorola RAZR via Cingular/AT&T. Once in a very limited while, I will get the connection without the mute of the radio - maybe 3 or 4 times - but that is it. My phone, however, is nearing the end of its useful life. Battery only holds a charge for about 1 day, and sometimes gives me the error message "unable to charge." I dread having to switch phones, since this one has worked relatively flawlessly with my V. Anyone had any problems with the newer versions of the RAZRs?

Bob

#26 ·
I have 2 Razr's, mine and my wifes. Both hooked up perfectly from day one, over a year now. Hers was doing as yours about the battery life, so I replaced it with an updated one, V3 whereas the otherone was Vxx. It took to the STS like a duck to water...works perfectly.

#27 ·
Well the service advisor says they do already have the disks to perform the Nav/Radio TSB so I have an appointment on tuesday. Here's hoping they know what they're doing :yup:

Also looking at getting a Clear Bra install done possibly late next week, looks like there are several possible kits for the STS-V.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.